Tampa council says no to raises for police officers - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Tampa council says no to raises for police officers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morris
    Keeping our police pay up with inflamation is not goverment waste!. As a resident of both Islamorada and Brandon Fl, I am personally friends with several Police officers/HCSO deputies. I appreciaqte the risk these men/women take. It absolutelytamazes and hurts me hear when I hear of another policer killed. Keep in mind that these officers leave behind family and friends. I am a business owner, a taxpayer, and pround former Army vetran who appreciates the risk these men and women take. This is an insult to me! I think the city owes theses officers their agreed upon step plan.

I, like anyone else, realize that times can be tough, money can be tight, and adjustements need to be made. But what right is right and wrong is wrong!. These men/women put their lives on the line every day/night for our safety and the least we can do is put money aside to secure their future. If one of them is killed, which seems to be more the norm lately, this money is what their families have to survie from! I think this is the most selfish stance the city goverment can take. This city is not making these heroes a priority and I think this is a mistake! The City of Tampa enjoys a fantastic reputation for having one of the best police departments and safest cities. We owe these front line men/women their a promised competive wage. Be safe and know that the community supports you despite this decision! Thank you for what you do and keep your heads up!

Tom Morris
    Owner of the Whistle Stop
    Islamorada, Fl
    CaptTom41@yahoo.com
    I bet they will get free stuff now huh?
    I think that wouldn't have come off as so kiss ass had you not included your name or business. Then, it just seems like you are wiping their arses with your tongue. Trust me, they are mostly too stupid to appreciate a good ass kissing.

Keeping our police pay up with inflamation is not goverment waste!. As a resident of both Islamorada and Brandon Fl, I am personally friends with several Police officers/HCSO deputies. I appreciaqte the risk these men/women take. It absolutelytamazes and hurts me hear when I hear of another policer killed. Keep in mind that these officers leave behind family and friends. I am a business owner, a taxpayer, and pround former Army vetran who appreciates the risk these men and women take. This is an insult to me! I think the city owes theses officers their agreed upon step plan.

I, like anyone else, realize that times can be tough, money can be tight, and adjustements need to be made. But what right is right and wrong is wrong!. These men/women put their lives on the line every day/night for our safety and the least we can do is put money aside to secure their future. If one of them is killed, which seems to be more the norm lately, this money is what their families have to survie from! I think this is the most selfish stance the city goverment can take. This city is not making these heroes a priority and I think this is a mistake! The City of Tampa enjoys a fantastic reputation for having one of the best police departments and safest cities. We owe these front line men/women their a promised competive wage. Be safe and know that the community supports you despite this decision! Thank you for what you do and keep your heads up!

Tom Morris
    Islamorada, Fl
    CaptTom41@yahoo.com
    Tom, lame attempt at soliciting business from cops who don't have money.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

Tom Morris
    Islamorada, Fl
    CaptTom41@yahoo.com

Tom. Thank you for your support. Please ignore the rants of the ignorant public who obviously could not do this job day in and out.

Tom Morris
    Islamorada, Fl
    CaptTom41@yahoo.com
    Just another cop trying to get a discount

Tom. Thank you for your support. Please ignore the rants of the ignorant public who obviously could not do this job day in and out.

Right...because TPD cops are really going to drive all the way down to the Keys just to have lunch.

Somewhere in a previous post, someone made reference to "at least we still have our retirement."

Prepare for the next fight.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

While sometimes they are in a life threatning situation, keep in mind this is a career they willingly chose. Wearing shirts with a dead officers name on it, is shameless intimidation. I respect all those that serve us and I want them available when I need them - that is what their JOBS are all about. Now is not the time for pay raises.
    Here is why you're way off base with your comment...Cpl. Mike Roberts widow, Cindy, did not want her husband's death to be in vain. She attended the hearing yesterday of her own accord and, as tragic as the death of Mike was, she hoped that something good could come out of it by opening the eyes of the public into the risks of our job and to hopefully help save our Step Plan. In addition, proceeds from the sale of those shirts goes to help support the family he left behind while protecting you and your family.

As for Pay Raises, you still don't get it. Tampa cops weren't fighting for pay raises...they gave those up from the very beginning. They were fighting for a Step Plan which allows them to get full pay only after serving here for 11 years. This Step Plan only affected 49% of the department and cost relatively the same amount every year (less than $1 million). The City has always budgeted for it over the past 30 years or so, but slipped it out of the 2010 budget without giving anyone (including City Council) a heads up. Would you rather hire cops at full pay without an escalating scale? I didn't think so.

Roger that.......let's make this easy. Simply set officers' pay at the top step (MPO/Step11) to begin with, and this will all be moot.

Does the citizenry expect to get top step officers at the discounted rates in steps 1-10?

You have my services at step 10. Your leaders have decided to keep me at the discounted rate of step 10, and to deny me step 11 - so you'll get discounted dedication.

The oath? SOPs? Minimum standards?.........Please. You will be shocked to find out how very little it takes to meet these three minimums. You have enjoyed enhanced service only because the officers stepped up and delivered it - because we were feeling the love........ain't feeling the love no more, so this will just be a business transaction, folks. The leaders you put in charge have decided to subject you to government minimum standards.....enjoy.

Quick example.....let's say that supervision were to define part of "acceptable performance" as the writing of two tickets a day. Sounds like a pretty low benchmark, doesn't it......it is. However, most of these officers can and do easily exceed such a benchmark, as well as any of the other lame benchmarks that may or may not exist - the existence of such benchmarks is neither admitted nor denied. :wink: ......so, the level of service you have come to expect of us is due to us going above the minimum standard. The City has decided to give us the minimum it can get away with, so you can expect the same.

We are ready for staff to try to "crack down", or whatever.......they, and you, are going to learn something I've said here before: At the end of the day, there's only one driver's seat in that patrol car, and it's reserved for the HBIC.

I am a transplant from another agency. I came to Tampa because of its increased pay days off and better retirement. The COLA loss I could live with for a year or so, but to slam us with the step take away is just unthinkable. In this job we have to adapt to new and different things. I will tell all that I talk to when asked, don't let this get you down right now. Why? Well they said it was just for this year. If they do pull this again next year then we know what their true intentions are. I would urge everyone to keep doing what you are doing and don't sit back. Lets prove our self worth to city council, the mayor and the chief. If we let crime get back out of control then these past years of getting it down, manipulating the UCR and making good solid arrest would be for nothing. I myself am going to work a little harder and write more tickets because that is what they want. If city council wants to see that we are worth the step plan lets show them. Like I have posted on other strings, I plan to write everyone, no breaks. Minor BS tickets are the ones that go to court folks. I have been to traffic court over head light, tag light and no insurance tickets more than speeding or red lights. Don't know why but it just seems that way. Lets earn our step increase through traffic court till the chief tells us not to go but then that would be another can o worms.... be safe and see you in court! midnight man.

Eventually Crime reduction will catch up to us. It can only go so low. If crime goes up then we will have something to reduce again after we get the step back.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast