BSO Takeover - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: BSO Takeover

Re: BSO Takeover

Here comes the sheriff, here comes the sheriff, here comes the SHERIFF, oh what a better Davie we will have. Here comes BSO, Here comes BSO, to protect us better oh yes. Here comes BSO, Here comes BSO, to feel alot safer. Here comes the sheriff, here comes the sheriff to save the residents of Davie MONEY!!!! Here comes the sheriff to save the residents and keep there taxes low, and add more protectection. YEAH :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :evil:

Here comes the limo!! Here comes the limo!!! Pick me up at the airport!!! Here comes my town car! Here comes my town car!! Take me to a strip club!! Yhhooooooooo. Here comes the limo to rip me off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ****le
    Here comes the limo!! Here comes the limo!!! Pick me up at the airport!!! Here comes my town car! Here comes my town car!! Take me to a strip club!! Yhhooooooooo. Here comes the limo to rip me off!!!

Huh, did i miss something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    As a Davie resident and cop I hate hearing that BSO will take over. Everything this giant security gaurd company touches turns to sh*t, no offense to the little guys on the street. Please dont allow this! Every time you guys have been in my area Ive seen good tactics and work from you i'd hate to think what will happen if the county brings their lacking tactics and fake police work in (cant blame them the way IA there is). Whatever they promise wont happen a dear buddy of mine worked in a city taken over it sucked bad. As a resident that pays nearly 6 grand a year in property taxes i feel ok about it with davie pd but if BSO moves in im moving out.
    Thanks Sciadini :devil: :cop:

Quote Originally Posted by guest123456789
    Here comes the sheriff, here comes the sheriff, here comes the SHERIFF, oh what a better Davie we will have. Here comes BSO, Here comes BSO, to protect us better oh yes. Here comes BSO, Here comes BSO, to feel alot safer. Here comes the sheriff, here comes the sheriff to save the residents of Davie MONEY!!!! Here comes the sheriff to save the residents and keep there taxes low, and add more protectection. YEAH :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :evil:
    geez, you'd think a pension scam plus the phoniest TV news interview since Clinton said he "never had sex with that woman" would have helped this guys sense of humor a little bit.....yet he's still as unfunny as the day he left.

For any of you still thinking you'll have a job if you go to BSO....

Broward Sheriff’s Office to send layoff notices next week
    Agency to submit proposed budget to Broward County officials on April 30

Layoffs and Downsizing By Amy Sherman, The Miami Herald

6:30 p.m. EDT, April 23, 2010
    E-mail Print Share Text Size fl-broward-sheriff-cuts-20100423

The Broward Sheriff's Office plans to send layoff notices to employees next week. The Sheriff's Office has been asked by county officials to cut 14 percent, or about $60 million, from its budget.

The Broward Sheriff's Office plans to send layoff notices to employees next week, spokesman Jim Leljedal said.

The Sheriff's Office plans to submit its proposed budget for the next fiscal year, which starts Oct. 1, on April 30. County officials asked the Sheriff's Office to cut 14 percent, or about $60 million.

Leljedal said he didn't know how many will receive pink slips but last year offers a hint. When the Sheriff's Office was facing a cut of about $50 million then, it sent layoff notices to 177 workers.

But, in the end, the Sheriff's Office cut about half that amount and laid off less than three dozen.

"The people that are laid off would be let go effective July 30," Leljedal said. "Given the worst-case scenario, we have to give people notice that this could be coming. Last year it wasn't as bad as it could have been and hopefully that will be the case again."

The layoffs would take place July 30 to allow the Sheriff's Office to pay out remaining sick and vacation time before the fiscal year ends.

Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Hanrahan was surprised to hear about the layoff notices when contacted Friday. "I have no idea about notices going out," he said.

Broward County is planning for budget cuts because property values have fallen about 16 percent countywide. If commissioners agree to raise the tax rate or heavily dip into reserves, that would reduce budget cuts and layoffs.

Copyright © 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Union vote shows loss of trust in Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti
    Members of the largest union representing Broward Sheriff's Office workers say they no longer have confidence in their boss.
    By JAMES H. BURNETT III
    jburnett@MiamiHerald.com
    The largest union representing Broward Sheriff's Office workers issued a vote of no-confidence in Sheriff Al Lamberti Monday evening.

BSO's unit of the Federation of Public Employees acted after Lamberti's recent announcement that members of the union would bear the brunt of proposed job cuts to balance his budget.

Broward County commissioners earlier this year ordered Lamberti to trim 14 percent -- about $60 million -- from BSO's $706 million budget for the 2010-11 fiscal year.

``We have lost confidence in Sheriff Lamberti and his ability to work with us in good faith,'' BSO Sgt. Tony Marciano said Monday evening. ``All trust has been broken we feel, and Sheriff Lamberti's office has demonstrated to us that we simply don't mean as much to him as other employees.''

Lamberti emailed BSO employees saying 124 layoffs, and the elimination of 62 vacant positions, could be accompanied by another 250 demotions, as certain positions -- particularly in the detention or jail division -- are reclassified to lower pay and skill grades.

The union represents about some 2,500 members in the sheriff's office. The vote was 263 to three. An online vote ballot was to be offered later Monday evening so other union members not in attendance could weigh in.

Lamberti said late Monday that while the no-confidence vote was disappointing, he believes it represents the feelings of union leadership only, not the rank and file.

``Because I talk to people who work in the jails and they don't have that opinion,'' Lamberti said. ``They understand the tough decisions, and I feel very good about them supporting me.''

Marciano said the unionis concerned that a disproportionate number of employees facing layoff are African American.

``No matter how you look at it, whether intentional or not, the sheriff's decision to target detention officers disparately hits minority officers hard.And unless the sheriff can show necessity, that's a potentialcivil rights violation,'' Marciano said.

CONCERN EXPRESSED

County Commissioner Albert C. Jones, whose 9th district, includes largely African American communities, expressed concern Monday that with such a large percentage of job cuts proposed among jail guards, African American deputieswill be laid off disproportionately.

``In these difficult economic times, I feel for anyone facing job loss -- black, white, Asian, what have you,'' Jones said. ``My concern is raised when any group is represented out of proportion when job reduction is the issue. I think we needto make sure there aren't other ways to trim the budget andsalvage some of these jobs.''

Lamberti dismissed the racial concern, pointing out that the union supported a BSO policy of ``last hired, first fired.''

Many of BSO's newer employees are detention officers, and many detention officers are African American.

The sheriff still enjoys the support of the Police Benevolent Association, which represents deputies in BSO's law enforcement division.

The PBA generally represents sworn law enforcement officers serving in that capacity. The Federation of Public Employees represents detention officers and others who may be sworn, but not serving in a law enforcement capacity.

Federation union leaders speculate that support comes at the price of job security and pay increases PBA members were guaranteed in last year's budget negotiations.

`PAINFUL BUT NECESSARY'

Lamberti said he has to make ``painful but necessary'' job reductions in keeping with the budgetary demands of his bosses.

``I don't want to lay off anybody, black or white, male or female,'' he said. ``But the county has asked us for a 14 percent reduction.''

The jail is 60 percent of the sheriff's budget, he said.

``When I started here 30 years ago I worked in the jail. It was 40 percent of the budget and law enforcement was 60 percent.

``Now it's just the opposite.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/11/1 ... z0ntCQCFfl

County leaders may have to settle wage dispute
    With multimillion-dollar budget cuts looming, county commissioners may find themselves in the middle of a wage dispute between a union and BSO -- something Sheriff Al Lamberti doesn't want.
    BY AMY SHERMAN
    asherman@MiamiHerald.com
    The fight between firefighters and Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti could soon land on the desks of Broward County commissioners following a magistrate's ruling in favor of the union's demand for pay raises.

But the commissioners are reluctant to jump into the fray amid looming massive budget cuts and a political desire to curry favor with unions.

The raise spat comes as Lamberti has been directed by county commissioners to cut $60 million from his budget. Instead, Lamberti proposed a $705 million budget that includes layoffs of about 120 workers and the demotion of another 250 -- mostly jail workers. His proposed cut was about $4.5 million for the part of the budget funded by the county general fund.

On Tuesday, a special magistrate made a recommendation in favor of the firefighters union, which had reached an impasse with Lamberti in contract negotiations over wage increases.

Stanley H. Michelstetter recommended a two-year contract that includes a 3 percent raise effective April 1, 2011. Lamberti had proposed reducing wage rates by 5 percent. The union sought two separate 3 percent wage increases.

The Broward Sheriff's Office said it did not yet have a response to the recommendation.

Michelstetter's decision is a recommendation, meaning that Lamberti can appeal it. But now Lamberti and the union are embroiled in a fight about who should hear that appeal.

RULING SOUGHT

BSO has sought a ruling from the Florida Public Employees Relations Commission that would declare that it's the sheriff's responsibility.

BSO argues that since the county entered an agreement with BSO in 2003 to transfer firefighters to BSO's employment, the County Commission intended to delegate the sheriff as the legislative body.

The union argues that the legislative body is the County Commission.

``He is saying that hearing will be conducted in front of himself,'' said Matthew Mierzwa, attorney for the International Association of Firefighters. ``I've never heard of anything like that. He is saying he is going to hold a meeting with himself and make a motion to adopt his own position and then accept it.''

In similar cases involving the Pasco and Clay County sheriff's offices, PERC ruled in the unions' favor last year. But both those cases are on appeal, said Steve Meck, general counsel for PERC.

Lamberti could soon face the same situation with the jail workers union, which is also at impasse. That union took a vote of no confidence in the sheriff Monday. Contract negotiations recently started with the other major union -- the Police Benevolent Association.

The Democratic County Commission, whose members often get union endorsements at election time, is not eager to settle a contract dispute between the union and the Republican sheriff.

``Overall, I think the feeling of the board is this is not a decision we want to make,'' Mayor Ken Keechl said. ``We don't want to be in the position where we are having to consider overruling his decision or even supporting his decision. We believe we are going to allocate to him his money. He needs to make those decisions.''

Keechl and commissioners Sue Gunzburger and Kristin Jacobs are on the ballot this year. Gunzburger's opponent, former state legislator Steve Geller, has already picked up most of the union endorsements. Jacobs has no opponent so far, while Keechl faces Democrat Beverly Kennedy, a frequent candidate, and ultimately could face past GOP chair Chip LaMarca.

CUTS

The budget cuts are in response to plummeting property values countywide. Commissioners, who seem reluctant to raise taxes to cover the gap, asked Lamberti to cut his budget 14 percent.

Though the magistrate sided with the union, he had some choice words for both sides.

``The history of negotiations indicates that the sheriff asked that the union wait to negotiate a successor agreement while he dealt with the budget,'' Michelstetter wrote. ``He promised that the unit would not be treated differently than the deputies and sergeants. He reneged on this.''

He also criticized the union, saying its opinion that the county is `` `loaded with money' is ridiculous.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/14/1 ... z0ntDmG55b

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678