11.5 Hour Shifts
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

11.5 Hour Shifts

Since we are forced to bid on both a 8 hour shift and 11.5 hour shift, at what point will we know for sure what we are going to be stuck with? People want to plan out their leave for January and beyond and turn in leave slips. At some point they need to say "ok, this is what we are working" and soon. It will be mass chaos the closure it gets and as normal, more of a inconvienance to everyone to shuffle around family life, details and leave. Use proper planning, just leave the shifts alone until we can properly plan them and give everyone a fair amount of time to prepare. Oh and sample shift bids is not preparing. I want to turn in leave requests for January and was told I can't because we don't know what schedule we will be on.

Re: 11.5 Hour Shifts

The new shifts will not occur until after the contract is ratified and approved by the City Council.

guess that aint gonna happen, Keep strong and vote "NO"........ why vote yes, all its going to do is take $$ out of our pockets..............think about it...

You want to prolong the 8hr shifts, you'll be voting no

With all this negative sentiment about the 11.5 hour shifts, why couldn't we take another vote to see who really wants them? Just a thought before signing off on the contract, if the city wants this schedule it can't be good for the rank and file. :snicker:

We already had a seperate vote on this issue!....Now you want another?....What negative sentiment exactly....months ago it seemed that alot of us wanted it....
    Quote Originally Posted by elliot ness
    With all this negative sentiment about the 11.5 hour shifts, why couldn't we take another vote to see who really wants them? Just a thought before signing off on the contract, if the city wants this schedule it can't be good for the rank and file. :snicker:

The results of another vote would be the same, we still want it so just accept it. Repeating the vote over and over until you get the result you want won't happen. To bad you can't go to another department that still has 8's because like everything else we are the last to go.

Quote Originally Posted by giggity
    The results of another vote would be the same, we still want it so just accept it. Repeating the vote over and over until you get the result you want won't happen. To bad you can't go to another department that still has 8's because like everything else we are the last to go.
    thats provided that you dont lose any shift diffrential, well too bad youre going to. Why dont YOU go find another dept that has that. They probably do, but too bad youre going to lose it

Hey Plantation! Take it from us, we've done the 12 hour days and thankfully we are going back. I was like many who wanted it and was excited when we got it. It didn't take long though to realize what a mistake that was. Some of you that vote yes will like it, some of you that vote yes will hate it. Time will tell, but one thing that seemed to be pretty consistent here is that everyone who voted no hated it.

I was talking to one of your guys on a perimeter recently and they mentioned that when you guys voted, specialized units were included in the vote. I see why, they are covered under your union. However, say it isn't true that they are going to be given the option to work 10 hour shifts in their specialized units, but the road is going to work 11.5 or 12? How do you guys see that as a fair vote? Everyone in a specialized unit is going to vote yes! But it's the road patrol that has to work the full shifts.

You guys should have voted with specialized units and without and gauged the difference as it sounds like you may have had a different outcome.

Good luck with your 12s and may your moral and sanity keep up after a few months on them.

And thanks for the assistance on the perimeter if some of you guys are reading. We always enjoy working along side you guys. Good luck on your contract too, that looks pretty sad but we have been there too.

Quote Originally Posted by from across the highway
    Hey Plantation! Take it from us, we've done the 12 hour days and thankfully we are going back. I was like many who wanted it and was excited when we got it. It didn't take long though to realize what a mistake that was. Some of you that vote yes will like it, some of you that vote yes will hate it. Time will tell, but one thing that seemed to be pretty consistent here is that everyone who voted no hated it.

I was talking to one of your guys on a perimeter recently and they mentioned that when you guys voted, specialized units were included in the vote. I see why, they are covered under your union. However, say it isn't true that they are going to be given the option to work 10 hour shifts in their specialized units, but the road is going to work 11.5 or 12? How do you guys see that as a fair vote? Everyone in a specialized unit is going to vote yes! But it's the road patrol that has to work the full shifts.

You guys should have voted with specialized units and without and gauged the difference as it sounds like you may have had a different outcome.

Good luck with your 12s and may your moral and sanity keep up after a few months on them.

And thanks for the assistance on the perimeter if some of you guys are reading. We always enjoy working along side you guys. Good luck on your contract too, that looks pretty sad but we have been there too.
    Youre welcome, the issue with the 11.5 or 12 is that between younger cops and cops in the specialized units it passed. I think if road alone had voted, it would have went the other way. Ask someone in those units, including DB and they will flat out tell you that they dont care what happens they just wanted a 4-3 work week. Now I ask you isnt that sad?
    Theres one poster in another blog preaching rah rah rah stick together and yet that person voted for the longer days. Call that unity? I think not. As far as the contract, the city has us right where they want us, divided and at each others throats.
    In all my years here, I have never seen so much missery, but hey its all due to that great "change and hope" we where suppose to be getting, or in other words the audacity of hope! And you can take that to the bank.
    Be safe

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast