You Go Girl! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You Go Girl!

Re: You Go Girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Mod 161
    I knew it was only a matter of time before a name was posted in this topic. Given the subject matter any names posted will without a doubt result in personal attacks. All posts that name a specific officer will be deleted. This is an interesting topic, especially if its factual. Thank you for making your points without naming those involved.
    So if I see a grossly overweight officer and name them on this website you're considering that a personal attack?

If anything, you guys should be talking about every overweight officer since they are more likely to put you in harm's way...right?

Well it should start at the top and the chief couldn't climb a 5 foot wall without a ladder and a rest stop half way up.

Member LEO Affairs Road Patrol

Yes Southsider it will be deleted. There's a definate difference having a discussion or even calling someone on the carpet for something they've done/not done and their weight/personal appearance. I'm sure there are overweight officers who's appearence is undesirable and that are hindered by their physical stature to the point it may be a safety problem, but to attack them buy name on this site because of their weight is not acceptable.

Of all the agencies on LEO Affairs, the SPPD is one of those that often toes the line between what is or is not acceptable, oftentimes its a judgement call by the mods and administrators. Personal attacks because of weight/appearence is clearly over the line.

I would have to tend to agree that something needs to be done with overweight police officers. I am a lifetime resident of St. Petersburg and have noticed that a lot of our police officers are overweight. I have also noticed that in general a lot of police officers in other cities are also overweight.

The job as a police officer requires some manual labor. I don't mean to pick, but perception is reality. When someone sees an officer in uniform who is overweight you begin to wonder how well they can perform these manual tasks or do their jobs.

I think a workout program for the entire department should be in place from the top down. It would benefit all police officers, even the ones that are in shape, and it wouldn't discriminate the ones who are out of shape since everyone would have to participate in it.

In the military there is a program called the Fat Boy Program and this is where all overweight soldiers, airman, etc. go to lose weight and if they cannot lose the weight in the designated time, they are discharged from the service.

Something does indeed need to be done regarding this and I'm sorry if I offended any of the police officers on this site, but your job isn't a desk job and you should have known that you would be judged by the community since you are a public servant. If you find this offensive, then perhaps you are in the wrong field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod 161
    Yes Southsider it will be deleted. There's a definate difference having a discussion or even calling someone on the carpet for something they've done/not done and their weight/personal appearance. I'm sure there are overweight officers who's appearence is undesirable and that are hindered by their physical stature to the point it may be a safety problem, but to attack them buy name on this site because of their weight is not acceptable.

Of all the agencies on LEO Affairs, the SPPD is one of those that often toes the line between what is or is not acceptable, oftentimes its a judgement call by the mods and administrators. Personal attacks because of weight/appearence is clearly over the line.
    Mod, first no disrespect, but how do we as citizens of this city voice our displeasure about the overweight officers in our city? Do you suggest we contact the Chief directly?
    I'm not trying to be harsh, but really something needs to be done about this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mod, first no disrespect, but how do we as citizens of this city voice our displeasure about the overweight officers in our city? Do you suggest we contact the Chief directly?
    I'm not trying to be harsh, but really something needs to be done about this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't mean to speak for the Mod, but voice your displeasure to City Hall or the department. Attend a City Council meeting. write a letter to the mayor. But attacking officers on here, especially by name, because you perceive them as being overweight is wrong. That is malicious, not helpful.

I didn't call any officer out by name, I think you are confusing me with another poster. I agree, you shouldn't call an officer out, but in general, some of the police officers do need to lose weight.

Thank you for your suggestion as I will write a letter to your Chief and our new mayor addressing this situation.

You're right. I didn't word that well. It was meant as a general comment, not to single any one person out.

Quote Originally Posted by City Resident
    I didn't call any officer out by name, I think you are confusing me with another poster. I agree, you shouldn't call an officer out, but in general, some of the police officers do need to lose weight.

Thank you for your suggestion as I will write a letter to your Chief and our new mayor addressing this situation.
    The chief is overweight as well.

Look at high ranking members of the military. This is how high ranking police officers should look as well.

(in my opinion...of course)

Oh sure, soutsider. We're just gonna have an agency full of musclebound military robots running around chasing badguys!
    F&$# OFF!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast