Is the jail a sentance for officers?

Cool Is the jail a sentance for officers?

Why is it that people treat jailers different then other law enforcement officers? Even road patrol units seem to look down upon jailers at times, like they have not paid their dues yet. The fact is, being a jailer is a big job which most people dont want to do. Jailers make up more then half of a department at every County jail in the Country. Jailers are cooped up with the scum of the earth 8-10-12 hours a day, spend more time with the criminals then their family members.

So why treat them like they are being sentanced like the people we put in jail. Not only at HCSO but at other departments too, the commanders treat the jail like a whipping stick. Meaning, if you are in trouble for any reason while working in other departments, you will get sent to the jail as your punishment! WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE IS THIS SENDING TO JAILERS?!!? Can anyone answer how this will bring morale up if you work in the jail?

Re: Is the jail a sentance for officers?

The Jail has been used as whipping post as long as i can remember and i have been here a long time. I would likt to think it's because the jail is the one place there is always an opening due to turnover. This may be caused by the lack of morale you mentioned too.

Working in the jail is actually a advantage to the start of a law enforcemtn career. Anyone in Law Enforcement knows that for the most part, you will deal with the same criminals over and over with a fresh face thrown in now and again. The advantage comes into play as being a jailer, you come to know the criminlas in your jurisdiction, how they operate, which ones are the most dangerous and what thier preferred crimnes are. This is a huge advantage when you hit the streets.

Unfortunately, your are correct in assessing that morale is kicked in the head when you see someone make a mistake and the punishemnt is almost always a transfer to the jail. This does not send a positive message to those working there. It has always been a standard joke here to say " if i do that, I'll be be asking inmates what size flip flops they wear" or the old " I'll be on the radio saying open VS-1 and VS-2. It is a sad reality but know that not all of your fellow officers look down thier nose at jailers. It stems from poor management at the top brass levels who rule by fear and intimidation and a transfer to the jail is thier weapon of choice. If the same individuals would sell the jail as very good starting point and appreciate those that work there more, that attitude would change!!

Re: Is the jail a sentance for officers?

Lats face it, this administration sucks! We need a change from the majors up!