Letter to The FOP and MPD Members - Page 3
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Letter to The FOP and MPD Members

Wow. All along I thought Admin Guy was Rick Nazur, kind of like Angel Lago and Maria P.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. There is one thing with which I do agree with Admin Guy; Rick needs to go to Quartermaster and get fitted for uniforms. Expo will have him out of the office soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Razor
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Just another clown from the circus of MPD

IT AIN'T ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!! sad....
    But yet that all he thinks he knows about just listen to him, O I am sorry wait he will just tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Razor
    Just another clown from the circus of MPD

IT AIN'T ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!! sad....
    NO! Then go put on a uniform and hit the streets. Milker!

Quote Originally Posted by rick nazur
    To: FOP and Members of MPD
    I want to take this opportunity to congratulate FOP President Armando Aguilar, Vice President Carlos Avila and the entire FOP Executive Board for their achievement in saving the jobs of our members and staying true to their assurances. It was evident, from the moment the Mayor announced his budget proposal that his intent was to break the Union’s back. The goal was to reduce the City’s cost to balance the FY 2009/2010 budget but make no mistake; his objective was to attack and reduce our benefits. This was quite obvious, every time the FOP President presented a cost savings proposal the City administration stood firm and was adamant that no concession was achievable without salary reductions. When Mr. Aguilar positioned the City Manager into a corner during a public forum, it opened the door to allow for the intervention by Commissioners Sarnoff and Spence-Jones. By bring the Commissioners into the process the FOP was able to demonstrate it could fine cost savings in areas other than salaries and achieve the City’s desired goal. That put the City Manager in a situation in which he would have had to publicly explain why he would not accept the figures presented after it was proven by the FOP and the Commissioners the proposal was viable.

Today I said goodbye to a couple of employees in the I.T. Unit which were laid off. While this latest threat of layoffs did not affect me personally, I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I said my goodbyes. These individuals’ are very competent individuals, always able to solve any computer issues I had, and just absolutely nice people, innocent victims of the current situation. The past weeks should be a lesson to all, especially the younger officers. The concession package worked out by the FOP had nothing to do with the older employees and everything to do with saving the jobs of those facing termination. If the concessions had failed to pass, employees not facing layoffs would not have lost a thing and 106 employees would be without jobs (maybe more). The officers not facing job loss could have been selfish and voted the package down, received their 3% raise in October and enjoyed the holidays, but they didn’t. Not everyone agreed with the outcome as noted in the final count but the majority voted to save the jobs of others. I want the rookies to understand one thing, when push comes to shove we are one, we look out for all. This was not rookie verses’ veterans, the young verses the old; this was all of us looking out for all. This is why it is important for all to belong and support the FOP. You may not agree with the position the FOP takes on certain issues, or like the individuals in office, but they are the union, we are the union, and in numbers there is strength.

I have been here almost 30 years and never witnessed the hostility a City administration has shown towards the unions as I have witnessed with this administration. Not in the 80’s (even after being called “bums” in the Herald by the Mayor which he later publicly apologized after we demonstrated at City hall), not in 96 when the City was in a true fiscal crisis. The FOP has always had a professional working relationship with the City administration and both have always come together to solve issues affecting all. I point this out so that the younger employees would understand the past episode is by no means the last attack on our benefits; in fact it was not the first. The criticisms about our benefits began with the Mayor’s first State of the City’s address when he publicly announced that our “pension benefits are too generous” and the City needed to restructure and reduce benefits paid to employees. During the current contract negotiations the City tried to close the pension fund and place us all in the Florida Retirement System (FRS), which in many ways is inferior to ours. The next attack on our benefits occurred in March during the last State of Florida Legislative session. The Leagues’ of Cities sponsored and wrote a Bill which was introduced on the Legislative floor for a vote. The Bill would have changed State Law and taken away future State contributions to the 1% Fund and transferred ownership rights to the City. After a concerted effort by the Trustees of the 1% Board and the FOP the Bill was narrowly defeated. This Bill is likely to find its way back into the Legislative session come March 2010. I will give you one guess as to which City is one of the largest members of the League?

The latest assault on our pension arose during a recent City Commission meeting which is very important and potentially could be very serious. The City Commission at the behest of the Mayor voted unanimously to instruct the City Attorney to hire the best legal pension expert in the country in an attempt to reopen the Gates Settlement and try to get the City out from under their current and future obligations to the unions. The Gates settlement was a very important victory for the FOP and IAFF unions and it is equally important that everyone understands the significance of this federal case. I bring this little piece of history to every ones attention because most employees hear the term “Gates Suit” but have no idea what it means. For the benefit of the newer employees who were not around during those trying times and for the individuals who have forgotten what we have fought for and how important the settlement is to us, let me briefly review its history:

In the 70s the Fire and Police Unions realized the City administration was misappropriating tax funds from the employees’ pension plans. In 1979 a law suit was filed in Federal Court under the name of Gates vs City of Miami (this is where the term The Gates Suit originated). In 1985 the unions prevailed. The settlement permitted the Fire and Police employees to separate from the City’s Retirement System, take total control over the pension and created the current pension system known as City of Miami Fire Fighters’ and Police Officers’ Retirement Trust (FIPO). FIPO is controlled by a Board of Trustees made up of volunteer police and fire employees and other appointed members who manage the Fund’s staff and investment policy. Since taking control of the pension it has prospered and years of prudent investment strategies has secured the financial health of the plan and allowed for enhanced benefits which many of our retirees enjoy. In addition to taking control over the pension, the Gates settlement stipulated the City had to repay millions of dollars back to the fund over several years and created certain language which restricted the City from any control. In essence the Settlement gave the Unions leverage over the City as it relates to pension fund issues. Even today, during a debate both Mayoral candidates stated that their number one priority was the “fix the City’s pension plans.”

Your job and benefits were saved this week by your fellow employees. ALL OF THE BENEFITS we have, the Union has fought for throughout years of negotiations. The Boards of your Pension Trust Fund, 1% Fund, Health Trust, and the FOP are ALL managed by volunteer veteran police employees. When the veterans are gone the Boards will be left to you, the younger employees, to manage. It behooves each and every one of you to learn about the workings of your benefits, ask questions, attend meetings, get involved and educate yourself because someday we will be gone and it will be up to you to protect what we have. Remember, this battle just started, and contract negotiations begin in a few months.

Once again, I take my hat off to Armando, Carlos and the Executive Board. Job well done!

Rick Nazur

Secretary/Trustee

Miami Police Relief and Pension Fund (1% Fund)
    WEL SAID RICHARD, BUT YOU FORGOT TO MENTIONED HOW HECTOR MIRABILE TRIED TO TAKE AWAY OUR 1%, I AM GLAD THAT JOE ARRIOLA THREW HIM UNDER THE BUS. RUMORS CIRCULATING ARE INDICATING THAT HE IS ON HIS WAY OUT AND THAT THE MASONS NOR CAMILO WILL SAVE HIS BEHIND.

He did not try to take the one percent all he did was ask for a report and Rick the idiot jumped to conclusions.

Who is El Gordo y La Flaca? Pleeeese esplain to me

Rick should I run and retire the market drop a few points am I going to loss it all or you just want my portion for the fourth quarter

He did not try to take the one percent all he did was ask for a report and Rick the idiot jumped to conclusions.
    That's not totally accurate. Mirabile asked for a report, and he did it to make points with the administration, by showing he could turn his back on MPD.

You must either be an idiot like Mirabile, or someone who, like Hector, also got taken care of by Camilo Pedreda, the Great Corruptor.

R. NAZUR IS A COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT JERK THAT HAS BEEN SWIMMING WITH THE SAME ILK AS B. ARCHER, AND THE REST OF THE CASH SQUEEZING LOSERS LIKE THE FEMALE TEACHING NCIC, THAT DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, BUT ARE ON SOME SORT OF LIGHT OF LIMITED STATUS, BUT SEEM TO WALK JUST FINE IN TO THE STATION, DON'T WEAR MEDICAL BRACES-DEVICES-WALKERS-CANES-OR WHEELCHAIRS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY SEEM TO MANAGE TO DRIVE PERFECTLY FINE AND AVOID DOING ANY REAL WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NAZUR, DO NOT POST YOUR WORTHLESS OPINION HERE. YOU ARE NOT, AND WERE NEVER A MIAMI COP. YOU ARE A LAME DUCK HOLDING A PIECE OF TIN YOU DON'T DESERVE, JUST LIKE 98% OF THE LIMITED DUTY LOSERS.

M. EGAN, NOW THERE IS A STREET COP THAT DESERVED A LIMITED DUTY POST, TO SERVE OUT HIS CAREER !!!!!!!!!!! A REAL COP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A HELL OF A GOOD MAN, BUT THE CITY HUNG HIM OUT TO DRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast