FWCs ability to protect the resources
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FWCs ability to protect the resources

Over the last few years many a good officer has left the agency because of the lack of ability to make enough money to survive. Let alone get ahead. They loved the job and look back at it fondly but with a lot of bitterness. No one thought they would get rich in law enforcement but they never thought, or were told, they would fall behind. Buying us new guns, badges, and hats does not pay the bills although it does appease some.

We have lost over two dozen just to CBP. We have countless others to local agencies. Now I know some on here will just say "Good riddance, if you won't make a few sacrifices for the state then we don't need you". Or "You need to tighten your belts and live withing your means". There is only so much tightening and sacrificing that can reasonably be done while living the meager lifestyle we do to do the job we love.

In all this and over the years how much have the unions benefited us? Not much because they have a vested interest in keeping their friends in Tallahassee. That, and they represent much larger groups then us.

The biggest let down I've found is the lack of a voice from headquarters. I refuse to defy the definition of leadership by calling the colonel a leader. The first step in leadership is is having a defined plan. The next is communicating it. Then to execute it. She has failed in every aspect of this. How many times has we seen her over the years speaking to us directly without a buffer? Heck, even the President of the United States has time for a radio and TV press conference once a week.

We see her when she comes around to put out fires she could have kept from igniting by simply communicating.

It's interesting how she has placated some with trinkets just like European explorers did with the indigenous people worldwide.

Re: FWCs ability to protect the resources

With all that being said I didn't get to my issue with us protecting the resources. How can we be effective if there just isn't enough of us left. Beyond that most of our officers don't have the needed mentoring from senior officers to know the job. Many of our good veteran officers have left for greener pastures and the few that are left spend most of their time correcting the new officers mistakes. I would say a good percentage of our Lieutenants came on post merger and can count on one hand their years of service.

So are we still effective?

O yes we can LOL ??!! Look at the numbers, the average number of years in LEO, much less in our line of service!! Most have not figured out how to operate the equipment before they leave, no fault of their own. The ones who do stay for a while have no Idea how to make a case, or good case, without tripping over it. We veterans are sick and tired of training new people and watch them leave in a year or less. Most of the older officer refuse to FTO at all. Most will help after FTO's are done with the program??!! You are right about the communication from the top!!! They have completelly cut us off as if they or we did not exist.

It's funny though, they sent a new Major down to fix us!!!!! Next

The above poster did a great job saying how things are and how bad things have really gotten to the state. The state continues to hire and hire the only problem with that is the fact that there are not enough officers to train them. The senior officers are almost on their way out. The "meat and potatoes" officers for lack of a better term have all left for CBP and other federal agencies(FLETC really loves Ex FWC officers) it really is a shame that the state went to shambles...

I think Julie and the good old boys up north are just waiting us out. They want nothing less then to get rid of anything saltwater and or boating related unless its on freshwater lakes. They want to go back to 1998 and pretend this agency really has a reason to exist. They'd love to downsize and and become the underfunded and outdated agency from where she came.

Good, I been saving my 600 yard pocket net. Time to break it out and catch some roe mullet Will be good to catch more than one redfish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Outlaw Redneck
    Good, I been saving my 600 yard pocket net. Time to break it out and catch some roe mullet Will be good to catch more than one redfish too.
    Sorry Capt., but yo're going to have to be a little more specific. Unfortunately, most officers here have never seen a gill net, let alone heard of a pocket net. The officers that worked roe season gill netters have long since moved on to greener pastures.

Arrow Re: FWCs ability to protect the resources

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I think Julie and the good old boys up north are just waiting us out. They want nothing less then to get rid of anything saltwater and or boating related unless its on freshwater lakes. They want to go back to 1998 and pretend this agency really has a reason to exist. They'd love to downsize and and become the underfunded and outdated agency from where she came.

How do you turn even this topic into Inland Vs Marine? Either be part of the whole team or shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by AsICIt

How do you turn even this topic into Inland Vs Marine? Either be part of the whole team or shut up.
    Think about that before you respond.

Quote Originally Posted by AsICIt

Think about that before you respond.

The "inland" side of this agency is on it's last legs. Hunting is not in vogue and those people living north of I-10 are the only ones that care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast