Good reason not to pursue
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good reason not to pursue

REMOVED

Re: Good reason not to pursue

The message is two-sided: It also tells those that think about running from the cops to not run because you may just end up killing yourself and others.

If we applied your narrow-minded logic of this tragic situation to all other tragic situations then we should not drive cars, ride in aircraft or travel on boats. Anything can happen at any time; trying to prevent anything from happening is a vain attempt to control life and not live it.

We were not there, we do not know if their pursuit policy is similar to ours or even if it was followed properly. To cast doubt on the legitamacy of pursuing someone by using this as an example is a weak attempt to push your personal thoughts on others.

Don't run from the cops and things like this won't happen.

Treat guns as if they are loaded and people will not get accidentally shot.

I could go on and on but somehow I believe it will not matter...

Re: Good reason not to IVESTIGATE FIGHTS

This is a sad one...

Police: Officer Hit, Dragged by Drunk Driver in Idaho

BOISE, Idaho — Police in Boise say an officer has been injured after he was hit by a car and dragged a few yards in the city's downtown.

Police say the unidentified officer was struck early Saturday by 30-year-old Jeremias Ramirez, whom they say was drunk at the time. The officer has been treated and released from a hospital.

They say the officer tried to approach 25-year-old Scott Macias, whom he witnessed getting into a fight and later punching cars in a parking lot. They say Macias then jumped into Ramirez's car.

Boise Police Lt. Alan Cavener says that vehicle made a sudden turn and struck the officer, who grabbed onto the car and was dragged "for about 15 or 20 feet."

Ramirez faces charges including assault, DUI and driving with a suspended license. Macias faces two charges of resisting and obstructing an officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah
    This is a sad one....

FRESNO, Calif. — The California Highway Patrol says a car fleeing from police ran a stop sign and slammed into a pickup, killing three people in the car and four young children in the truck.

The patrol says police in Dinuba, southeast of Fresno, were trying to stop the car Saturday afternoon for a traffic infraction.

The patrol says the truck was carrying two adults and their five children. Four of the children — ages 1, 3, 4 and 7 — were ejected and died at the scene. The fifth child — age 8 — and the parents were taken to a hospital. The adults were identified as 29-year-old Carlos Salazar Jr. and 26-year-old Jennifer Salazar of Orange Cove.

All three men in the car being chased were killed. Their identities and ages weren't known.

So if we ever pull someone over and in the course of pulling the vehicle over he runs over a pedestrian, then you are going to tell me not pull anyone over. Things happen, we can't control every little incident in life, just do your job to best of your knowledge and use common sense, it's a tragic incident but it would have never happened if there were no criminals out there. Be safe :mrgreen:

This is a sad one....

FRESNO, Calif. — The California Highway Patrol says a car fleeing from police ran a stop sign and slammed into a pickup, killing three people in the car and four young children in the truck.

The patrol says police in Dinuba, southeast of Fresno, were trying to stop the car Saturday afternoon for a traffic infraction.

The patrol says the truck was carrying two adults and their five children. Four of the children — ages 1, 3, 4 and 7 — were ejected and died at the scene. The fifth child — age 8 — and the parents were taken to a hospital. The adults were identified as 29-year-old Carlos Salazar Jr. and 26-year-old Jennifer Salazar of Orange Cove.

All three men in the car being chased were killed. Their identities and ages weren't known.
    So dont pursue then....you can terminate your own pursuit if you don't think its worth it.

REMOVED

Geez......

A. If that was you f'ing family Id like to hear you say the same thing.

B. Tell me the last 10 pursuits you had and, 1. the reason for the stop and 2. what the reason the guy was running for.

And yes things do happen in life that you cant control....Im not saying dont get out of bed in the morning for fear what may happen.

Just sayin do we really need to be chasing cars around Naples Park for their music being too loud? There are times to chase and times to not. Think our policy needs to be revamped.
    A. We dont base policy decisions over how we would feel in the place of the victim.
    B. What difference does it make ? You never know why someone is running. IF YOU dont think its worth chasing someone, the YOU can choose not to. the CCSO does not force anyone to pursue. The guy with his music up loud might have just finished breaking into a house for all you know.

If you dont like it, dont chase anyone....or get a job with FHP and watch other agencies chase for you.

REMOVED

OK, I'll chime in. Oh yeah, i'm over 40 and have been a cop for over 13 years. While the deaths of this family are tragic, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, just realize this. The dirt bags are the ones who decide to run. Everything that happens after is their fault. Albeit to say that a cop can't terminate a pursuit due to existing conditions, however, even if the conditions are perfect for a pursuit, if someone ends up dead, the media and liberals automatically place the blame on the department and it's "policy" to chase. This couldn't be more of an injustice to hard working cops out there.

I, for one, will chase a scumbag until the wheels fall off. But will terminate the pursuit for the safety of the general public. However, if the scumbag has committed what is considered a serious felony to another person, even a person who dislikes the police and what they stand for, I will chase that scumbag to the ends of the earth.

I love this job!

Recent US Supreme Court case law made it very clear the officer and department canno be held liable for a fleeing felons actions during a pursuit.

I would add the St. Petersburg case from years ago where an officer chased someone for a mechanical violation. During the chase the bad guy crashed into a person and killed them. The victims family sucessfully sued the police department. Several years later, same department was chasing someone for same violation. The pursuit was terminated based on the above listed. The officers stopped chasing and the bad guy sped away. Later down the street the bad guy crashed into a person and killed them. The victims family sucessfully sued the department because they could have chased the person with their lights and siren on which could have warned the victim of the on coming danger. LOSE LOSE!!

Lets not let bad guys think they can just speed away from anything. Lets use common sense and put the bad guys in jail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast