$60,000+ a year for the last 5 years..possible? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: $60,000+ a year for the last 5 years..possible?

Quote Originally Posted by guest585858
    I spoke to a trooper recently who stated that with SOAR, overtime, and addtional details he made $60,000 + a year for the last 5 years. The trooper has been on over 5 years. Is this possible?
    OK SAPD Officer, Why would the Trooper lie to you? Please don't be jealous you make less because of the lack of off duty work. A Trooper working 24+ hours a week can clear $73k a year. A senior Corporal can make nearly $90k. The tradeoff is very little family life.

Re: $60,000+ a year for the last 5 years..possible?

Talked with officers from 2 different municipal agencies with 12 hour shifts; they weren't so happy with it. If you draw 6PM to 6AM, it's like having permanent midnights, only longer shifts. According to them the days off are nice, but it doesn't do much for your family or personal life. One's agency had a shift differential that only amounted to about $50-$75 dollars a month after taxes. I'm not so sold on 12 hour shifts, maybe 10 hour days with 3 days off.
    I am not sure who these officers were, (or where they worked), that did not like their 12 hour days, but I have not talked to one yet. I cannot for the life of me figure out what they would not like, or how working 5 days a week with just 2 days off would be better for your family life. The Sheriff’s Office in the county I work in works a 12 hour day and they all seem to like it. Night shift works 4 days on 4 days off. The day shift deputies work a 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off schedule. Every other weekend you have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. Both schedules (day or night) have you working 14 days out of a 28 day cycle. (That’s just half the days) How could that be bad? With your current 5/2 work schedule you work 20 days during a 28 day cycle with just 8 days off. Let’s see 6 more days off a month for a total of 14 just for spending 3.5 more hours at work instead of getting 8 days off a month and spending 8 hours at work. What’s not to like?

You will never see 10 hour shifts, at least not until 10 divides into 24 evenly which it will never do. 10 hour shifts are not practical for 24 hour coverage. It takes to much manpower to cover the entire day and is very inefficient. Plus, I cannot believe that you would say anything about another department “only” getting $75 to $100 for a shift differential. While it will not make you rich, how much was your shift differential pay from FHP? That’s what I thought, $0.

Anyway, this is all for nothing because none of us will see, 10, or 12 hour shifts or shift differential pay at FHP anytime during our careers, so we all might as well just forget about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12