Farewell to the Morgan Street Jail

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal

Farewell to the Morgan Street Jail

I guess I didn't get the memo. I didn't know it was coming...

The Morgan Street Jail demolition has begun. I drove past it today and saw the front portion on the ground.

Being an old guy, I had flash backs to when the old red brick Pierce Street Jail (on the same site) came down and the Morgan Street Jail construction began. Pierce Street disappeared when the new jail was built on the area where it originally came through.

I'm not only an old guy; I'm the only deputy who has served under Sheriffs Blackburn, Beard, Heinrich, Henderson and Gee. I've seen a lot of changes - the latest being the demolition of the Morgan Street Jail.

I continue to be proud of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office and it's personnel. I've served with a great number of outstanding people over the years, I encourage all of you to keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Carl

Re: Farewell to the Morgan Street Jail

Guess it's "progress"... I started my LEO career as a D/D at MSJ.. many a good time there. I was rolling thru Tampa and snapped some pictures a few weeks ago, guess it's a good thing I did.. BE SAFE ya'll

Wasn't the jail built in 1925 and then rebuilt around 1964?
    Do you have any pictures of the jail in the Sheriff Blackburn era?

Thanks,
    Tallywriter12

Quote Originally Posted by Tallywriter12
    Wasn't the jail built in 1925 and then rebuilt around 1964?
    Do you have any pictures of the jail in the Sheriff Blackburn era?

Thanks,
    Tallywriter12
    The Sheriff's Office has some exterior photos. I think one was included in the "Yearbook" that was published several years ago.

Contact Major Clyde Eisenberg who is the unofficial HCSO historian. He has access to dozens and dozens of old HCSO photos and continues to work to identify the people in the old photos.

Carl

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie

I'll always remember my first booking at Morgan Street-circling waiting for a parking spot-the "ramp" (after waiting to go in)-in line with HCSO and TPD-the steel doors clanging shut-and then waiting to get out-all this back in this early 80's under Sheriff Heinrich. Great memories!