Hallandale officers a bunch of puzzies

Hallandale officers a bunch of puzzies

Why are you turning down a one year contract that includes a 3% raise? Have you noticed people are losing their jobs all around you? Puzzies.

Re: Hallandale officers a bunch of puzzies

Hallandale Beach police union seeks merger with Broward Sheriff's Office; city calls it a ploy

South Florida Sun Sentinel

5:27 PM EDT, July 10, 2009
    E-mail Print ShareVote
    HALLANDALE BEACH - The rank-and-file of this city's police department say they'd rather be working for the sheriff.

In a letter sent to Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti on July 1, leaders of the police union said they have lost confidence in their city officials during a tumultuous contract dispute that has been dragging on for months.

Union members representing the force of about 100 officers are now asking Lamberti to initiate contact with Hallandale Beach officials to try to get the ball rolling for a merger.

"I can assure you the issues of contention within the unit's rank and file would be resolved by a merger with your agency," wrote Patrick Hanrahan, president of the Broward County Benevolent Association.

City Manager Mike Good could not be reached on Friday, but Mayor Joy Cooper said she believes the letter is part of the union's ongoing tactics during contract negotiations.

"They did this about five years ago when we were in contract negotiations," said Cooper. "The union certainly has their right to say anything, but it is clear to me that the residents here don't want to see the police joining the sheriff's department."

In a separate letter to Good, union leaders referred to the police and city administration's "failed leadership" and complained about low staffing levels and lack of training, equipment and a decreased fleet of marked units.

The letters come less than a month after officers and sergeants staged a protest in front of City Hall and asked for Good's resignation.

In April, the union rejected, 56-7, the city's offer of a one-year contract with a 3 percent raise.

Good has characterized the union's actions as publicity stunts. He said last month the city was offering a one-year contract with the hope the economy improves by the time the next contract comes around. The city is facing an estimated $14 million shortfall in next year's budget, Good said.

Lamberti also is feeling the financial heat. He and Broward commissioners have been locked in a dispute over how much to cut from his $722.1 million budget.

The county has sought $54 million in cuts, but county budget analysts said Lamberti had proposed $10 million, including closing the old stockade jail and laying off 177 employees.

The Sheriff's Office said their proposed budget cuts are worth closer to $35.7 million. The sheriff says deeper cuts would jeopardize public safety.

Ihosvani Rodriguez can be reached at ijrodriguez@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7908.

To the original poster, obviously you're not a Hallandale Cop otherwise you would have attended the union meeting and would be well informed as to why we turned down the contract. As a result of this fact and the manner in which the question was asked I feel it doens't warrant an answer.

You're right. I'm not a Hallandale cop. But, this is where I would be able to speak with some that are. The newspapers are making you guys look like a bunch of cry babies. So, why did you turn down a 3% raise?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a puzzie
    You're right. I'm not a Hallandale cop. But, this is where I would be able to speak with some that are. The newspapers are making you guys look like a bunch of cry babies. So, why did you turn down a 3% raise?

Hallandale is $14 million in the black, spent $5 million on a run down mobile home park so they could flatten in it and plant grass, over paid for multiple pieces of property and complains they have no money. The rest of the world may be broke, Hallandale isn't.

They didn't complain when the pension was making 17% and they were only giving 8%. They weren't saving any of that money for a rainy day or placing money in to a reserve account like the state mandates in the FRS....now they come up a little short for the first time in many years and it's the cops fault they "burned" all that money? It's a panic? Two years ago the city managers tried to give themselves a $50K a year pay raise! Now they are broke? The cops need to give back benefits? Suck a what?

[quote=Show me da money!]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Not a puzzie":12vh1xfn

Hallandale is $14 million in the black, spent $5 million on a run down mobile home park so they could flatten in it and plant grass, over paid for multiple pieces of property and complains they have no money. The rest of the world may be broke, Hallandale isn't.

They didn't complain when the pension was making 17% and they were only giving 8%. They weren't saving any of that money for a rainy day or placing money in to a reserve account like the state mandates in the FRS....now they come up a little short for the first time in many years and it's the cops fault they "burned" all that money? It's a panic? Two years ago the city managers tried to give themselves a $50K a year pay raise! Now they are broke? The cops need to give back benefits? Suck a what?[/quote:12vh1xfn]

Try over $10 million for that run down trailer park...

The more I think about it the more I realize you guys collectively are a bunch of puzzies. So many people losing benefits and cuts in pay. Now you're sending letters to residents. You're timing couldn't be any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The more I think about it the more I realize you guys collectively are a bunch of puzzies. So many people losing benefits and cuts in pay. Now you're sending letters to residents. You're timing couldn't be any worse.
    Nice post Commisioner.
    Personally I think you should bump up Mike's pay $500 k a year, then create at least 3 phony and useless positions that pay over $50 k a year and and give them to your friends, invest $10 million dollars to own a piece of the Brooklyn bridge. Finish it up by paying off land owed by your fellow commisioners. A word to the citizens, only 1 of these things hasn't happened during this "hard time" in Hallandale, and that's because the Brooklyn Bridge isn't in Florida. if we got it so good and your struggling, why don't you put in an app and strap the uniform on? Who's the puzzy now?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    NICE PROPAGANDA FROM THE BOSSES. SORRY, BUT THAT DOESN'T FLY WITH US. YOU SEE, THE LETTERS WE SENT OUT DIDN'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT GIVING US MORE MONEY, IT HAS TO DO WITH MANPOWER AND YOUR POOR MANAGEMENT. SO NONE OF THE CITIZENS WHO ARE "LOSING BENEFITS AND CUTS IN PAY" COULD POSSIBLY BE OFFENDED. IN FACT, THEY PTOBABLY SYMPATHIZED WITH US ISSUES. PLUS, IF THEY'RE LOSING THEIR JOBS AND BENEFITS, A LETTER WOULD BE A NICE OPPORTUNITY FOR THEM TO SEEK A NEW CAREER IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. I'D VENTURE TO GUESS THEY WOULDN'T APPLY HERE, SINCE THEIR PAY AND BENEFITS NOW ARE BEING CUT BY THE SAME TYPE OF DOOSH BOSSES THAT WORK HERE, SO IT WOULD JUST BE THE SAME THING. IF CITIZENS ARE LOSING BENEFITS AND PAY, I THINK THEY WOULD BE PARTICULARLY APPALLED AT YOUR SALARIES. HEY CITIZENS OF HALLANDALE BEACH! M. GOOD + T. MAGILL + J KIRCHOFF= ABOUT A MILLION BUCKS LAST YEAR IN SALARIES AND BENNIES. YOUR TAX $$$ AT WORK.

YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO USE A LITTLE BIT MORE BRAIN POWER TO COME UP WITH A BETTER SCARE TACTIC NEXT TIME. MAYBE THIS WEAK SH*T WORKED ON PEOPLE 20 YEARS AGO. WHAT DID YOU DO, CONSULT WITH THOSE GEEZER PART-TIMERS YOU BROUGHT BACK? YOU NEED GROW SOME BIGGER BALLS FOR US, WE'RE NOT BACKING DOWN.