the current state of FWC - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: the current state of FWC

I agree that officers should wear clean and neat uniforms, but I remember a couple of years ago, an equipment inspection in the Jax area. Officers were required to clean their vehicle for a "white glove " inspection. They started several days prior to the inspection and I heard officers refuse to answer complaints because they did not want to get their equipment dirty. I'm sorry but I agree start with a clean uniform and black boots, military creases and spit shined boots are a waste of time unless you are doing public speaking or attending a meeting.

Mr. guest, dont waste your time with these dorks. If you read what all they were saying to the river vet, you will see that they are more interssted in strutting around trying to impress everbody than getting out there and catching a crook. somehow we actually end up hiring FWC officers who think working night hunting is a waste of time and money! Deer are one of the most valuable resources we have in florida, not to mention the danger to the public this crime causes. they worry more about cars passing them!!! Don't waste your time with those jerks. River vet finally decided to not engage in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents!

[quote=guest dude]
    Quote Originally Posted by "River Veteran":2ptzstwe
    Actually, we didn't have a Miss Minnie's store, but we did have Brown's Country Store. They knew all of us game wardens and always treated us to drinks and snacks, knowing that we'd be out working all night trying to catch fire-hunters. I found that a Moon Pie and a Yohoo would keep me awake for hours...seriously. Those really were the days. None of us complained and cried about not having Nextels or pretty badges. By the way, I never have been sent home for having muddy boots. I have, however, won several awards and been recognized by this agency many times over the years for getting the job done. I don't need to get a calendar punk...I know what year it is and have probably been putting on this uniform since you were still sucking on the teat.
    Fire hunt'en now that is an important issue we are running out of deer ya'know. You will spend hundreds of man hours, and dollars when the helo is used, to Arrest one good ole boy for doing something we give permits to wealthy land owners to do. I know, I know, them's the ones what gives us the permission to hunt on their land, for free no less, so's we gotta take care of them. Hell, we even provide security for'em on the states dime from time to time. Conflict of intrest? nah, we've always done it that way.

River Veteran, all us city boys, AKA professional Law Enforcement types, ask is when you are finished making your fire hunting case of the century how about washing your truck, ironing your uniform and shining your boots, shoot just put some polish on them so they are at least black.
    It is interesting however, that there are big marine resource cases made on the coast by officers in clean uniforms.[/quote:2ptzstwe]

River Veteran, they all have no clue. How about you boys on the coast try to work a shift other than 1500 thru 2300. I go fishing over there all the time after 2100 and have never ever been checked, you don't see one of our boats on the water past 2200. On a normal night of fishing I see roughly 15 to 20 boats fishing after 2200. I am sure there are plenty of good cases to be made after 2300, but you guys are all on the interstate trying to play FHP or turning a blind eye headed home. Try pulling a shift from 2100 to early morning you might be suprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Boy
    Mr. guest, dont waste your time with these dorks. If you read what all they were saying to the river vet, you will see that they are more interssted in strutting around trying to impress everbody than getting out there and catching a crook. somehow we actually end up hiring FWC officers who think working night hunting is a waste of time and money! Deer are one of the most valuable resources we have in florida, not to mention the danger to the public this crime causes. they worry more about cars passing them!!! Don't waste your time with those jerks. River vet finally decided to not engage in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents!
    "Deer are one of the most valuable resources we have in Florida." Now that is a statement that could only be made by someone that has made a real effort to stay ignorant. Deer hunting, and hunting in general, is sadly a going away in Florida. With that goes the revenue generated by MA stamps and licensing fees. Whitetail deer in Florida are one of the few regulated species that need to be culled at this point due to over population. That is of deer AND humans. As for the danger to the general public fire hunting causes, you can't be serious. How many cases do you know of in Florida where a person was injured or killed by an errant bullet fired by a poacher?
    We spend a lot of resources to protect an animal that we give wealthy landowners permits to shoot just prior to general gun season. I'm not saying they don't need protection but5, it's a bit over the top.

See what I mean? They have tunnel vision. They see no problem with not enforcing our deer and night hunting laws, but let somebody pass them on the highway, or come to work with dusty boots. WHOA! NOW we have some serious problems! What a joke. I'm with River Vet, all three of you are a waste of time. I'm outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee boy
    See what I mean? They have tunnel vision. They see no problem with not enforcing our deer and night hunting laws, but let somebody pass them on the highway, or come to work with dusty boots. WHOA! NOW we have some serious problems! What a joke. I'm with River Vet, all three of you are a waste of time. I'm outta here.
    Open your eyes Suwanee boy. I'm not saying don't enforce poaching laws. I'm saying there's a lot more to our job then making one or two of the same contacts each day and spending all of this enforcement resource for what amounts to a dying crime. The stats don't lie, night hunting is not as big as it used to be. It doesn't strike you as odd that we use 6 officers, an LT, and a helicopter, and a K-9 unit just to catch a guy doing something we give permits for? At the same time we can't get the same resources to combat felonies that actually effect the natural resources of Florida. Stop with this fake good old boy charade. If you are young enough to work then you are too young to remember the good old days. This ain't Mayberry.

Man, you are too tight! Loosen up! Have you ever even caught a night hunter? There ain't nothing like it. When we do our night flights, Joe will get us set up just right so we can fall in behind the guy and follow him blacked out. You're right on his bumper and they don't even know it. Then BOOM...light up his world. It's great. Don't worry about all that crap about giving permists, etc. Just get out there and jack slap those outlaws! Don't you ever have any fun?

How is catching a night hunter any different than catching someone that is spearfishing where they aren't supposed to be? I think that they are one in the same both are misdemeanor crimes, you know?

Arrow Re: the current state of FWC

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee boy
    Open your eyes Suwanee boy. I'm not saying don't enforce poaching laws. I'm saying there's a lot more to our job then making one or two of the same contacts each day and spending all of this enforcement resource for what amounts to a dying crime. The stats don't lie, night hunting is not as big as it used to be. It doesn't strike you as odd that we use 6 officers, an LT, and a helicopter, and a K-9 unit just to catch a guy doing something we give permits for? At the same time we can't get the same resources to combat felonies that actually effect the natural resources of Florida. Stop with this fake good old boy charade. If you are young enough to work then you are too young to remember the good old days. This ain't Mayberry.

First just what felony are you referring to that affects the resources?
    ANd as to what danger does night hunting present.... well why do you think they came up withthe felony trespass by projectile..... and jjust incase you have not been out of the city lights... that law would be the causing of a prjectile to cross the property of another for the purpose of taking an animal. HMMM well its not to protect the animal... its to protect the people that might be on the "other land". Now while i do not readily have a specific case in hand.... i hope we can agree that the Law would not have been passed unless the need had been shown.

Now lets look at how the inland biologist dont know how to manage the resources.... when compared to shutting a recreational season or changing its limit while the comercial people are aloud to take more than every man woman and child in florida could catch. And even though they get that amount we buy specila boughts and give them the year round job of working those fishing areas.... oh wait and they also use the aircraft too.

So tell me again how the occasional night hunt detail is such a great waste...... just admit it your pissed cuz you had to stay up an work a detail one night.

Gill netting. Yeah, it's a felony. When a commercial fisherman can take 2000 pounds of fish in under 15 minutes and out of that amount of fish there is about 30% that are either juvenile or females full of eggs of a non-targeted species. These actions actually effect our enviroment. I stopped working fire hunting after having to watch felonies get ignored. Oh, what do I mean by that you ask? We watch a guy shoot a deer on private property from a roadway. Instead of taking him to jail for trespass by deadly projectile he got an NTA and his gun receipted back to him. As it turns out he lost his hunting privilages, payed about $180 court cost and a $250 fine. Was that worth a helicopter, 6 officers, and a K-9? After that I felt it was a waste of time.

We should have taken his gun, taken him to jail, worked with the SA for the strictest penalty.

By the way, AsICit. Hows your buddy doing now that he lost a few weeks pay and had a forced transfer? It sounds like FDLE is looking into his certification again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast