the current state of FWC
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

the current state of FWC

Does anyone honestly think that the ongoing feud between the former FMP and GFC is beneficial to anyone. I understand that both sides really loved their old agencies but they are no longer. The good old days are no more. Does that mean we can't remember them and talk about them from time to time. Of course not. But why must we put down one another for where they came from. If you don't like working the marine side so be it and vice-a-versa. Can't we agree to disagree and be done with that whole issue. I mean for heaven sake we all work for the same agency and the majority of us didn't make any of the decisions that we seem to bicker about. I can assume if anyone of us needed help in the woods or on the water either side would be willing to provide it. It might take a coastal officer a little bit to find the inland officer and for the inland officer to find a boat and find the coastal officer. My point is one officer is not better than the other. Sure some have more knowledge than the other. If we tell ourselves to look at the positive side of things in stead of the negative all the time we will be happier in the long run. I know it is harder said than done, especially when it is so easy to find negative things. Just my 2 cents.

Re: the current state of FWC

AMEN

Well said, but there will always be those who find enjoyment in stirring the pot and pissing everyone else around them off because they are so miserable themselves. It's a sad fact of life. Good post

r9t37
    Quote Originally Posted by officer of fwc
    Does anyone honestly think that the ongoing feud between the former FMP and GFC is beneficial to anyone. I understand that both sides really loved their old agencies but they are no longer. The good old days are no more. Does that mean we can't remember them and talk about them from time to time. Of course not. But why must we put down one another for where they came from. If you don't like working the marine side so be it and vice-a-versa. Can't we agree to disagree and be done with that whole issue. I mean for heaven sake we all work for the same agency and the majority of us didn't make any of the decisions that we seem to bicker about. I can assume if anyone of us needed help in the woods or on the water either side would be willing to provide it. It might take a coastal officer a little bit to find the inland officer and for the inland officer to find a boat and find the coastal officer. My point is one officer is not better than the other. Sure some have more knowledge than the other. If we tell ourselves to look at the positive side of things in stead of the negative all the time we will be happier in the long run. I know it is harder said than done, especially when it is so easy to find negative things. Just my 2 cents.
    I'm going the brake my own rule and comment. This post is spoken like someone who knows no better. The fact is as a lot of folks know, the two agencies were very different and the fact is GFC was more respected, better thought of, and more honest. Look at some of the posts on this site which are facts about the FMP. Look at the reason for the merger. The sad truth is that the new agency was dragged down to the lowest (FMP) side of the house. For those of us who used to be proud to wear the uniform, that fact hurts- a lot.

I went to the funeral of one of our fallen officers right after the merger. Do you know what I saw? I a bunch of spit and polish guys from both sides. Of the few overweight, wrinkled and stained, no belt keepers, mutton chop, ring around the collar, dip in their lip, dirty trucks, and greasy hair they all came from the same side. The GFC. In my time with our agency the only problems I've had are with guys that want to live in the made up imaginary past of Florida's by gone days. I've got dear friends that that worked for and retired from the GFC that look at those guys the same way I do. As an embarrassment to our agency. The biggest problem is that they train a lot of new officers to follow in there footsteps and proudly show up to work looking like they already did their hours for the day. There is no excuse for it and it makes us all look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I went to the funeral of one of our fallen officers right after the merger. Do you know what I saw? I a bunch of spit and polish guys from both sides. Of the few overweight, wrinkled and stained, no belt keepers, mutton chop, ring around the collar, dip in their lip, dirty trucks, and greasy hair they all came from the same side. The GFC. In my time with our agency the only problems I've had are with guys that want to live in the made up imaginary past of Florida's by gone days. I've got dear friends that that worked for and retired from the GFC that look at those guys the same way I do. As an embarrassment to our agency. The biggest problem is that they train a lot of new officers to follow in there footsteps and proudly show up to work looking like they already did their hours for the day. There is no excuse for it and it makes us all look bad.
    Well you have to look good if you're picking up little boys to molest, like FMP Major Ron M.

Here is the reason it maters to those of us that bring it up.

The GFC had an unflattering reputation as unprofessional, gun toten Rednecks, earned or not that is what it was. The old GFC was almost dead when the merger happened. This was due to the lack of forward thinking leadership and training.

Say what you want about any individual officer that worked for the FMP. The FMP, overall, had a more positive and professional reputation. This was due to having forward thinking leadership and training.

Those of us that were around when there were two separate agencies do not wish to be part of and agency that patterns it self after the old GFC.

Oh and before you say it, I shouldn't have to leave to find an agency that's professional.

If we keep the feud alive we prolong any positive change from happening!

Well you have to look good if you're picking up little boys to molest, like FMP Major Ron M.
    You missed the point. If you want to be looked upon as a professional you have to look the part. Officer presence? Looking like a slob garners no respect from anyone but slobs. There's no glory in looking like you're too lazy to do laundry. Ironing is the first thing taught in the academy. Don't tell me you forgot how or that you don't have time. Each of us, by policy and contract, have enough back up uniforms to have a spare. If you don't, then why? Please don't say the budget either.

When I was growing up around here as a kid, I would see game wardens on a regular basis. I used to love their picked pants from walking through briars, their dusty boots, and the big muddy tires on their vehicles. I would think, "Now these guys would catch your butt." The rugged, hard working look was a huge deterrent to me and my buddies. We knew those guys were the law enforcement officers who got off the road, out of their cars, and would track you down. The spit and shine stuff was for city cops and office boys that we knew we could out-smart any day, especially in the woods or on the water. I don't waste too much time washing my truck or shining my boots. That time is spent catching violators, just like the old-timers I used to admire.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast