12 HOUR SHIFTS

Thread: 12 HOUR SHIFTS

12 HOUR SHIFTS

Hows it going Coconut Creek P.D. Our administration is looking into the 12 hour shift and they went to creek to look at yours. We were briefly told about it but i figured it would be nice to find out how its really working. Do you guys/gals like it? How do the days off work and are you guys working short.

Were in the beginning stages of contract negotiations and i would appreciate knowing what its like.

Weve heard Miramar and Davie have it and the officers work shorthanded all the time.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 12 HOUR SHIFTS

(Disclaimer: This is my opinion)

At first, working 12 hrs seems some what overwhelming but the positives definately outweigh the negatives: We work 14 days a month in a forty-two hour work week (two extra hours of straight time) with a three day weekend every other week. Example of bi-weekly schedule: Mon (on) Tues (on) Wed (off) Thur (off) Fri (on) Sat (on) Sun (on) Mon (off) Tues (off) Wed (on) Thur (on) Fri (off) Sat (off) Sun (off). The shift goes by rather fast when you factor in an hour 40 with two fifteen minute 10s.

I would highly recommend the 12 hour shift. I hope this helped.

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. THAT ANSWERS THE MAJOR QUESTION REGARDING HOW THE DAYS OFF AND ON WORK.

PINES PD OFFICER

If you go to 12 hour shifts you have to work the 4 on 4 off. It is like being on vacation every week. I thought Pines dispatch has been on that schedule for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by PINES PD
    THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. THAT ANSWERS THE MAJOR QUESTION REGARDING HOW THE DAYS OFF AND ON WORK.

PINES PD OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by CREEK PD
    (Disclaimer: This is my opinion)

At first, working 12 hrs seems some what overwhelming but the positives definately outweigh the negatives: We work 14 days a month in a forty-two hour work week (two extra hours of straight time) with a three day weekend every other week. Example of bi-weekly schedule: Mon (on) Tues (on) Wed (off) Thur (off) Fri (on) Sat (on) Sun (on) Mon (off) Tues (off) Wed (on) Thur (on) Fri (off) Sat (off) Sun (off). The shift goes by rather fast when you factor in an hour 40 with two fifteen minute 10s.

I would highly recommend the 12 hour shift. I hope this helped.
    I work the 12 hour shifts and I have no idea what you just wrote. Very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    If you go to 12 hour shifts you have to work the 4 on 4 off. It is like being on vacation every week. I thought Pines dispatch has been on that schedule for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by PINES PD

PINES PD OFFICER
    No. You do not have to work the 4 on and 4 off. It all depends on what shift your administration chooses.