AVON PARK -- City council members have been given a meaty agenda to chew on come Monday night's regular meeting.

Coming out of a memo Councilman George Hall e-mailed to City Manager Sarah Adelt, the council will have the opportunity to discuss 10 suggestions that Hall thinks might save the city money.

Hall pointed out the city is currently operating at a loss, and steps of some kind have to be taken.

The ideas are as follows:

1. Abolish the Community Redevelopment Agency and its advisory boards, and return money to the general fund.

2. Investigate the process and cost of disbanding the police department and bringing in the Highlands County Sheriff's Office.

3. Get out of recreation. Look into a summer recreation program run by a local faith-based organization, or local college apprentice program. Perhaps turn recreation buildings over to the Boys & Girls Club.

4. Turn over the city fire department to the county.

5. Turn over code enforcement to the police department immediately. If police consolidate with sheriff, have the county handle enforcement.

6. Advertise for and hire a public works director -- replace the consultant currently filling the position.

7. Change the pay status for the city's project manager to a percentage of the grants received.

8. Set up the airport into an airport authority and cut city budget ties. The airport manager would no longer be a city employee.

9. Sell Wellcraft/Classic Caladium property.

10. Look for a long-term tenant in the Community Center, or sell the property and return it to the tax roll.

In contacting Adelt, Hall asked for cost-benefit analysis, but he ended his memo writing, "I know that it would be senseless for staff to spend any time on most of these issues because there is not council support for many/any of them. If you would like to forward this to the council and see if they have ANY (sic) other ideas that would bring us in line and actually cut cost and lower taxes, I would enjoy the discussion."

Copies of the e-mail quickly began to circulate after Adelt passed them on to members of the city council in preparation of Monday night's regular meeting.

So far, the reaction has centered on public safety with the Southwest Florida Chapter of the Florida Police Benevolent Association already involved.

Jack Soule, a PBA representative, came in from St. Petersburg Saturday morning to meet with members of the union.

"The main thing," he said in an interview, "is we want to slow the process down to be sure the public has an opportunity to be included."

He added that the police department is very aware of what is being considered, and is opposed.

Soule looks forward to Monday night's meeting, which he hopes will shed more light on the situation.

AlJoe Hinson, city council member, said in a telephone interview Friday afternoon that on the subject of public safety, "I truly believe in what people say when they say they are afraid to live their lives.

"I've had problems with dispatch people not knowing the area. I don't believe in other folks taking care of us."

On some of the other issues Hinson was more favorable. For example, regarding the creation of an airport authority he said, "I think we should have that."

Other council members preferred to wait for Monday's meeting. Brenda Gray wasn't for or against anything at this time, and Joe Wright was harvesting silage and hadn't had an opportunity to read Hall's memo. Hall is out of town.