ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

The second officer in two months has left our "paradise" to go to another department. I thought no one was hiring???? That's what the admin was saying when a few sgt's saw this coming and wanted a plan in place. I do not blame A.C. (AKA "The Can") for leaving and I wish him nothing but the best. Who will be next? No one really knows. It could be the "good soldier" that is "dedicated" to the department. It is a cold hard fact that literally 50% of the patrol section is currently in the process with other agencies. Some are denying it, some are open about it, and some are keeping quiet and will just hand in their resignation like The Can did. Everyone is concerned except the two that should be the most concerned. When The Can left, who had to re-arrange the schedule so there was coverage on the street? Unit1? Nope. Unit2? Nope. It was left to D1 who has enough on his plate. 12 hr shifts anyone?????

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

I want the ability not to be concerned like the said mentioned two are. Or at least they seem to be busy elsewhere. I look at the entire picture, I speak with the individuals and I listen and the sad fact is whether your for change, quitting, moving on, and/or "its the not so bad attitude" you have to realize and deal with the fact that the work place/ city government/ an attitude (whether among the officers or ADM.) things don't look good.

The simply fact remains "is the department being run in a fashion that is consistant with success?" I believe that regardless where you stand, whether your an officer that has left, is trying to leave, thinking about leaving or an officer that has decided to "stick it out" you have to be very concerned.

To those officers who are thinking about leaving and/or have applied elsewhere I believe you have made a decision to change something in your life and its your life to change. As far as the officers who are planning on leaving and not sharing that, I feel bad for you but obviously you feel that revealing your intentions will only cause you harm or discomfort.

As far as any ADM. that believes that no one is hiring or is not planning for the future or is even in denial to issues. The I don't feel sorry for the ADM. but for those officers who decided to stay and not leave. Good luck to all the officers of this department however I don't believe things will get better anytime soon-I hope I am wrong.

What do you think of the latest move? What happen's next regarding our shifts and manpower? Is Unit 2 being reassigned back to patrol to fill in or replace? I think the union and its members better start getting involved. What if other non-union employee's are subject to layoffs or cuts does that mean they bump back into the union and affect future promotions/advancements/scheduling (seniority) for union members?

My thought process is if you have decided to accept a non-union, at will assignment and for whatever reason that position is eliminated or down sized that is the chances you took when you became at will. Otherwise why have a labor contract with the city for union members if it does nothing for them.

When the union obtains merit/cola raises from the city, the at will employee's deal with the city manager individually or as a at will group. There have been times where at will employee's have received higher merits/cola's then union employee's. So when things don't look good for an at will employee, just bump back into the union?

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by WOW!
    What do you think of the latest move? What happen's next regarding our shifts and manpower? Is Unit 2 being reassigned back to patrol to fill in or replace? I think the union and its members better start getting involved. What if other non-union employee's are subject to layoffs or cuts does that mean they bump back into the union and affect future promotions/advancements/scheduling (seniority) for union members?

My thought process is if you have decided to accept a non-union, at will assignment and for whatever reason that position is eliminated or down sized that is the chances you took when you became at will. Otherwise why have a labor contract with the city for union members if it does nothing for them.

When the union obtains merit/cola raises from the city, the at will employee's deal with the city manager individually or as a at will group. There have been times where at will employee's have received higher merits/cola's then union employee's. So when things don't look good for an at will employee, just bump back into the union?

What are your thoughts?
    Couldn't care less.

If you are going to leave.... Don't say a word until you hand in your letter. Several Officers at SPPD have been screwed at the last minute and an open IA will knock you out of a process with any agency.... Whether people admit it or not the majority are in the application process with another department even though SPPD is relying on the fact "no one is hiring". It sucks to check on with 5 officers on you squad and lord help ya if you have to shoot someone. You will be in TRU for 5 months while they figure out if they can screw you over or not. The worst part about the SPPD experience is the fact people say "oh God you work for St. Pete?" What they don't know is the majority of the officers and sgts are good troops and would give anything to be let of the leash and take the city back from the criminals that run it... Just remember we are still hiring on this side of the bridge and we have your back if you just so happen to have to use that gun on your hip. Shooting on monday...cleared for duty by friday and you may just be officer of the month too.

Wow, just decided to hop over to another countys website to see if there was as much complaining as what is going on at our agency. If it weren't for the diffence in the title of the county, you would think it was the same agency comments. So guys, a heads up, no matter where you go, things will most likely be the same. So take into consideration you will be the new guy on the block, have the same complaints, and had to move to get stuck in the same enviroment your trying to get out of. Don't believe me, hop over to some of the other county comments on here and see for yourself.

Yeah, but at least their FRS pension is not bankrupt.

For non sworn employees I believe temple terrace police department has some openings for communications postions, hillsborough county s.o. might as well if anyone is interested