EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK

The post by "guest" was deleted for violating the terms of use. Accusations that DOT officers commit perjury without having specific proof is slanderous and will not be tolerated.

Thanks MOD, I can only imagine what he/she wrote.

The purpose of my original post was to solicit comments from my fellow officers. We ( all law enforcement) in the State are in dire straights. It does not matter what agency you work for, there are stories of poor pay, poor equipment etc. not to mention mismanagement by the politically connected.

If you love your job and the compensation that you receive, then God Bless You. I happen to enjoy my job but that does not mean that I should just lay back an accept the fact we at MCCO cannot work Off-Duty jobs because of conflict of interest. No overtime unless it is handed out as charity by the Administration and only under their terms. It is all about control. In this agency you are forced to work long hours and told to "off set" on another day. The list goes on and on. This post is not a gripe session. It is about organizing ourselves into a single voice that carries the same message. We do not want more, we want equity. EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK!

If you are not with FDOT, please show us the courtesy of not posting idiotic unsolicited comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedot

The purpose of my original post was to solicit comments from my fellow officers. We ( all law enforcement) in the State are in dire straights. It does not matter what agency you work for, there are stories of poor pay, poor equipment etc. not to mention mismanagement by the politically connected.

If you love your job and the compensation that you receive, then God Bless You. I happen to enjoy my job but that does not mean that I should just lay back an accept the fact we at MCCO cannot work Off-Duty jobs because of conflict of interest. No overtime unless it is handed out as charity by the Administration and only under their terms. It is all about control. In this agency you are forced to work long hours and told to "off set" on another day. The list goes on and on. This post is not a gripe session. It is about organizing ourselves into a single voice that carries the same message. We do not want more, we want equity. EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK!

If you are not with FDOT, please show us the courtesy of not posting idiotic unsolicited comments.
    I don't get it, and don't get me wrong, we need more money, but we also need to become a 24/7 Agency before we can expect "equity" (which means a share holding - I think you meant "equality"). Anyway, that wanna be had some good points (hard to swallow) but he hit home on a couple points. Lets get some organization going and formulate some plans for expanding our Agency into the full time operation that will bring us the equality and equal pay. Lets not stick with the status quo, lets reach for higher goals. If our leaders won't do it, lets get the ball rolling ourselves. Remember, small groups become big groups and small voices become loud voices. If we show some good plans, someone HAS to listen.

Thanks for the correction

Thanks you for the correction.

But I'm sure you have heard the term "It is what it is". In our case we are what we are. We are not staffed enough to run 24/7 and are delegated to concentrate on CMV related violations. Having said all that, we are still Law Enforcement under Florida Statute, empowered to enforce the laws of the State of Florida. Case law does not discriminate because the officers of the agency where not working 24/7, only that they were in fact Police Officers who met all statutory requirements and were working for the same employer. In our case The State of Florida. Are you with FDOT?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

I don't get it, and don't get me wrong, we need more money, but we also need to become a 24/7 Agency before we can expect "equity" (which means a share holding - I think you meant "equality"). Anyway, that wanna be had some good points (hard to swallow) but he hit home on a couple points. Lets get some organization going and formulate some plans for expanding our Agency into the full time operation that will bring us the equality and equal pay. Lets not stick with the status quo, lets reach for higher goals. If our leaders won't do it, lets get the ball rolling ourselves. Remember, small groups become big groups and small voices become loud voices. If we show some good plans, someone HAS to listen.

I do not get what you are saying. Why do you think we have to work 24/7 to have equal pay? Why do we continue to try and compare ourselves to FHP? No offense to FHP but why do we do that? Believe it or not there are other agencies with the State that are not 24/7 and makes more than us. Heck they are allowed to work the off-duty that DOT says is a conflict of interest. Why not compare us to other DOT officers in other States? I bet you would find out that we do not make as much as other states our size.

I think bluedot brings some valid points but it seems like some of us within our own organization has been conditioned to accept this pathetic pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Playing the Game

I do not get what you are saying. Why do you think we have to work 24/7 to have equal pay? Why do we continue to try and compare ourselves to FHP? No offense to FHP but why do we do that? Believe it or not there are other agencies with the State that are not 24/7 and makes more than us. Heck they are allowed to work the off-duty that DOT says is a conflict of interest. Why not compare us to other DOT officers in other States? I bet you would find out that we do not make as much as other states our size.

I think bluedot brings some valid points but it seems like some of us within our own organization has been conditioned to accept this pathetic pay.
    I could not have said it better, We need to get angry. every time DAD speaks it makes me nauseous. At office meetings the same people with b@lls stand up and ask questions. But they get no support. Lets see if this happens at other offices. Write, let us know. All we need is to get the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Playing the Game

I could not have said it better, We need to get angry. every time DAD speaks it makes me nauseous. At office meetings the same people with b@lls stand up and ask questions. But they get no support. Lets see if this happens at other offices. Write, let us know. All we need is to get the ball rolling.
    Be careful guys, what if they reverse this on us?? What if they want "Equal Pay for Equal Work"?? We don't want to work like FHP, we want our freedom, we want our down time. Come on guys, we pretty much have it made right now. More pay would be great but lets be careful what we ask for.

OOOPS SORRY,

I MEANT ("EQUAL WORK FOR EQUAL PAY")

Sorry, my report writing has never been that good.

Be careful guys, what if they reverse this on us?? What if they want "Equal Pay for Equal Work"?? We don't want to work like FHP, we want our freedom, we want our down time. Come on guys, we pretty much have it made right now. More pay would be great but lets be careful what we ask for.[/quote]

No, we do not have it made right now. That is why we all were anxiously awaiting the e-mail to see how many OT hours that we were "graciously" going to get. Most of us need the OT because everything else is a conflict of interest. It is not a conflict of interest; it is just that if you worked anything besides OT, DOT does not benefit from it. So they want you to believe it is a conflict of interest.

Anyways, I understand what you are saying. They are getting more work for less pay right now. I bet if you were to tabulate the total of the fines that you wrote last year, it would exceed what you made last year. Therefore, we basically pay our salaries back to State. So, that is why I am all for equal pay for equal work!

GREAT POST,

Finally we are beginning to have a conversation. I noticed that we have a great deal of work ahead of us. Talk to your co-workers, get their opinion. Determine who is happy, scared or just plain apathetic. Have them come on the web and voice their opinion. Please don't worry about rocking the boat. Tomorrow the powers to be could decide that due to "Departmental Necessity" as part of your daily activities you should be checking bathrooms at the local WIM station. Then what?
    The point that I have been trying to drive home is Everyone, Not just DOT, but Every Law Enforcement Officer employed by the State of Florida should be receiving the same pay. There is case law on the books. The Classification" Law Enforcement Officer" is the same across the board. FWC, DEP AG and everyone else needs to get on board.
    The job that you do for anyone of the Agencies is specific to that Agency. It does not however change the fact that you are a Law Enforcement Officer working for the State of Florida. You want an example of inequality, just look out your patrol car window next time you drive down the interstate construction zone.... We need, NO, WE Demand, EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast