.45's are comming - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: .45's are coming

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    .45's? Hmm.. Cost? plus the cost of the magazines? How much? Magazine pouches? Not to mention refitting everyone with new ballistic vets? I was told at my last firearms shoot that we had recently downgraded our 9 MM ammo because our vests could be shot through by our ammo that we were using. Imagine what a 45 cal will do to our vests? I am all about the 45's but at some point we have to stop throwing money around on new toys and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

The reason why our vest wouldn't stop our 9mm ammo is because of the velocity of 1335fps that the +p+ ammo reached. With that said the 45 is a sub-sonic bullet (885 fps) meaning it is much slower than other rounds. Our vest will stop it with no problems. The velocity of the bullet is why it penetrates body armor not the size. This is why a AR-15 shooting a .20 caliber bullet will rip right through body armor, because it reaches a velocity of 3240 fps.

Re: .45's are coming

The reason why our vest wouldn't stop our 9mm ammo is because of the velocity of 1335fps that the +p+ ammo reached. With that said the 45 is a sub-sonic bullet (885 fps) meaning it is much slower than other rounds. Our vest will stop it with no problems. The velocity of the bullet is why it penetrates body armor not the size. This is why a AR-15 shooting a .20 caliber bullet will rip right through body armor, because it reaches a velocity of 3240 fps.[/quote]
    Thanks for clearing that up and I mean it in a sincere way.

Re: .45's are comming

Lets not post crap like this on a public site. Mod please lock this thread for officer safety.

LOL....the .45ACP round does not compare to the +p+ 124gr 9mm, .40SW, or a .357 Sig. While size is nice, it really comes down to velocity and energy transfer. The .45 is been chosen because of the old school mentality of those making the decisions. Its a complete 3 steps backwards....period!!

LOL....the .45ACP round does not compare to the +p+ 124gr 9mm, .40SW, or a .357 Sig. While size is nice, it really comes down to velocity and energy transfer. The .45 is been chosen because of the old school mentality of those making the decisions. Its a complete 3 steps backwards....period!!

yeah,and you probably voted for Obama, look at history. to the wars that people actually shot each other in. the 45 was the only pistol cartrige that would stop someone in their tracks. battle tested, on real live people. that is good enough for me.

yeah,and you probably voted for Obama, look at history. to the wars that people actually shot each other in. the 45 was the only pistol cartrige that would stop someone in their tracks. battle tested, on real live people. that is good enough for me.
    I gotta agree with the poster 2 up. I could care less about the "wars" where FMJs were used. Look at current LEO shootings with JHPs and it is true the .45 is lacking. Now if they do decide to use the +p .45 JHP as the duty ammo, that would make a huge difference. My other concern is the G21 and G21SF, neither is very slim and comfortable as claimed. The only comfortable .45 ACP with a high capacity is the SW XD.

I gotta agree with the poster 2 up. I could care less about the "wars" where FMJs were used. Look at current LEO shootings with JHPs and it is true the .45 is lacking. Now if they do decide to use the +p .45 JHP as the duty ammo, that would make a huge difference. My other concern is the G21 and G21SF, neither is very slim and comfortable as claimed. The only comfortable .45 ACP with a high capacity is the SW XD.

what round are we going to then? it wouldhave to be a +p

Are you kidding me the 45 beats the 9mm even in crappy FMJ form. Just a regular old 45 Hp has more energy at the muzzle than any 9mm. THe other problem with the 9mm is over penetration it doesnt matter how much energy something has if it passes right through it and doesn't transfer that energy to it.. Here is a good link for you http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

At DEP we went to the .45 a few years ago. It has been a drastic improvement over the 9mm. It shoots better, qualifications went up, and the gun is easier to handle. For those of you with big hands, it fits much better then the 9mm. The slim frame, which our Dept. recently purchased for some Officers, fits nicely for those with smaller hands and stubby fingers.

I think you all will like them, I love mine. My SO buddies that carry the G22 would rather have the G21, it shoots better and has less recoil.

Don't knock it till you try it. I think it is a good choice for your agency, a step in the right direction. Plus, if we ever get in a shoot out in the woods, chances are it will be one of us responding, so, our bullets and mags will match.

Good luck and stay safe.

45s for what? Does the FWC do any law enforcement other than wait for a week do catch some poor dumb redneck shooting a deer and...after several thousand dollars in man hours, vehicle patrol as well as aircraft useage for one deer case, the poor guy gets a $100 fine and oh yeah forfeiture of his sweet 1975 Dodge pick up (rust bucket) Seems like a waste of time and money to me. I think they should let the sheriffs offices do the job of the FWC with Marine/ Ag deputys. The FWC doesnt know how to arrest anyone anyways and they always call us to take their subject to the jail. Oh yeah and to give us their big drug cases (small baggie of marijuana and a pipe). "Umm I dont know what to do deputy, can you take him to jail for me?" The FWC lost its respect and image when the merger took place. Now its just like the old GFC....The FMP was the agency!!!! The FWC is ran by a bunch of lying, back stabbing, wanna be administrators. Long live the FMP....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast