2% pay cut and then $1.3 million purchase of 575 acres
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2% pay cut and then $1.3 million purchase of 575 acres

WTF ?

Article published May 14, 2009
    Cabinet approves $1.3M purchase for Fla. Forever
    By Paul Flemming
    Florida capital bureau

Florida's Cabinet on Wednesday approved the $1.3 million purchase of 575 acres in the Blackwater River State Forest as part of an ongoing Florida Forever project.

The three parcels in the purchase were bought from The Nature Conservancy at three-quarters of their appraised value. Gov. Charlie Crist and Cabinet members acting as the Internal Improvement Trust Fund board, approved the purchase without discussion.

All the land is within the boundaries of the state forest and are part of a larger effort to protect from development areas in the Yellow River Ravines project. Of the 17,045 acres in the Ravines, 15,784 have been purchased by the state.

The land will be managed by the state Division of Forestry.

Department of Environmental Protection staff said the purchase is important beyond stopping development and providing access to public lands.

"This acquisition ... further improves the continuous wildlife corridor through public land from Eglin Air Force Base through the Conecuh State Forest in Alabama," a staff report said.

Re: 2% pay cut and then $1.3 million purchase of 575 acres

The budget is full of things like this. The budget will continue to be full of nonsense. That is what lobbyists and special interest groups thrive on. Most every group has an ally in Tallahassee, except state employees. The issue remains the same -
    The public doesn't care.
    The legislature doesn't care.
    State employees don't even care.
    State employment was once a career and sought after. Those days are gone. If you have less than 15 years, get out now. It will never get any better.

We understand what you are saying but where the hell are we supposed to get out and go to dummy? Not exactly a wealth of jobs out there ya know.

Lowes, Home Dept, Waste Management, Circle K, McDonalds, Burger King, Tastee Freeze, Sears, Dillards, Window World, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Terminix, Jiffy Lube, Grease Pro, Bass Pro, Waffle House, Waffle World, Joes Crab Shak, Ace Hardware, Gymboree, Wolf Photo, Mens Warehouse, S&K, Mac Tool, Chicago Tool, Harbor Freight Tool, Northern Tool, Gander Mountain, just to name a few. There are plenty of jobs available. Every one listed is more respectable than state employment. Some even offer employee discounts. Good Luck in your search and I hope you find your "special purpose."

I disagree, I am better than any of those positions. You make this job what you want, if you act and look like sh*it, people will treat you like sh*it. Having a state job is not a bad career pay, yes we tend to get the short end of the stick some of the time, but it a damn site better job than cooking the fries at Burger King.

I disagree. Working at BK is an honorable career. Good benefits, good pay and cops love the place - 50% off - just wear your Class A, B or C and you're good to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Lowes, Home Dept, Waste Management, Circle K, McDonalds, Burger King, Tastee Freeze, Sears, Dillards, Window World, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Terminix, Jiffy Lube, Grease Pro, Bass Pro, Waffle House, Waffle World, Joes Crab Shak, Ace Hardware, Gymboree, Wolf Photo, Mens Warehouse, S&K, Mac Tool, Chicago Tool, Harbor Freight Tool, Northern Tool, Gander Mountain, just to name a few. There are plenty of jobs available. Every one listed is more respectable than state employment. Some even offer employee discounts. Good Luck in your search and I hope you find your "special purpose."
    You forgot about the most sought-after job of all time... the CINTAS UNIFORM MAN :devil: Just think, after a long and distinguished career as a Cintas Uniform employee, you can sit around with other retirees and tell Cintas Uniform War Stories. "Boy... back in the day they sent me into an 85-acre industrial park. You wanna talk about some stains" :shock:

And best of all, you get to drive a sleek Cintas Uniform Delivery Truck :devil:

Let's face it you all should be taking a 5% pay cut and doing what is right for the great state of Florida. Do your part and offer up more. You are all over paid and under worked so it shouldn't be a surprise that they would ask you to give up 2%. Go to work and read the paper take your 2 hour lunch and make it home for that afternoon nap before the rains move in. Sounds like a good day at the office to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BK4ME
    I disagree. Working at BK is an honorable career. Good benefits, good pay and cops love the place - 50% off - just wear your Class A, B or C and you're good to go!!!
    This week I'm in floors, but next week I'll be in fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Let's face it you all should be taking a 5% pay cut and doing what is right for the great state of Florida. Do your part and offer up more. You are all over paid and under worked so it shouldn't be a surprise that they would ask you to give up 2%. Go to work and read the paper take your 2 hour lunch and make it home for that afternoon nap before the rains move in. Sounds like a good day at the office to me.
    I know isn't it great !!!! :devil: :snicker: :devil: :snicker: 8)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast