NO RIGHT TURN ON RED - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: NO RIGHT TURN ON RED

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    See this is the problem right now, people have a bad taste for the cops.
    And by "people" you mean you, right? Sounds like someone is projecting their feelings again.

Sure wish you guys could get back out there at Sheridan & University. Miss seeing you there. Hate it when trying to make the proper U-turn on a green arrow to get to the Post Office and the people ignoring the signs turn right on red without even looking.

Sure wish you guys could get back out there at Sheridan & University. Miss seeing you there. Hate it when trying to make the proper U-turn on a green arrow to get to the Post Office and the people ignoring the signs turn right on red without even looking.
    I hate to say it brother, but this is one of only two intersections within this city that people don't adhere to these laws. The other being 136 and Pines Blvd for the Century Village residents (since our senior citizens apparently cause a large number of accidents at this intersection). This law that is constantly broken is such a minor offense, that Judges will usually find the defendant not guilty because the signs are too small, you can make that turn on red in most intersections within this State, and that it's hard to prove the defendant really didn't know they were wrong.
    You really can't blame us for not enforcing it. Blame the Judges, defense attorneys, the lack of funds, and the numerous idiotic (and sometimes) menial calls Officers have to respond to that tie up our time.
    I wanna enforce laws just as any Cop does. Certain things (beliefs) either prevent us from doing our jobs, or entice us to pursue other avenues with fruitful returns.

I hate to say it brother, but this is one of only two intersections within this city that people don't adhere to these laws. The other being 136 and Pines Blvd for the Century Village residents (since our senior citizens apparently cause a large number of accidents at this intersection). This law that is constantly broken is such a minor offense, that Judges will usually find the defendant not guilty because the signs are too small, you can make that turn on red in most intersections within this State, and that it's hard to prove the defendant really didn't know they were wrong.
    You really can't blame us for not enforcing it. Blame the Judges, defense attorneys, the lack of funds, and the numerous idiotic (and sometimes) menial calls Officers have to respond to that tie up our time.
    I wanna enforce laws just as any Cop does. Certain things (beliefs) either prevent us from doing our jobs, or entice us to pursue other avenues with fruitful returns.
    I certainly wasn't faulting you all for not being there more often. I was just venting that I wish you could be out there more like you used to. While I don't for one second doubt what you say, I find it a sad shame that "the defendant really didn't know they were wrong." There are two signs, one on the line by the light & the other on the grass at the corner. I just think the people are too impatient and/or ignorant. But anyway, I guess more importantly I get tired of almost being in a collision from those who are not yielding to the ones with right of way & also get tired of being honked at if I don't turn on red to satisfy the guy behind me. But thank you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by The good guy
    There are many different units in the police department. The officers that may have been seen out there could have been traffic unit guys and their main duty is traffic enforcement. In the department there is also a unit called the community affairs unit. Now I do believe regular road patrol officers should roll around the neighborhoods and talk to people, but some want to and some don't want to. But if you have a problem in your area then call up the community affairs unit and talk to them about it, They will help you out to thier best abilities.
    He could do that or have a Sergeant request a "special watch" and have officers pull case numbers 3 times a night. Now that's a waste of time. Our C.A.U. is only 3 or four strong, and there's only one that I know that comes into contact with the property owners of plazas that want trespass agreements (those e-mails are not only worthless, but annoying at the same time).
    Patrol officers should be out there finding crimes in progress. Not stopping at every household to talk to the kids. Kids that you threaten to have arrested by us if they don't wear their seatbelts. Kids that you threaten to have us arrest simply because they're being kids that disobey you and refuse to go to school, or follow your rules. You force your kids dislike us. You use us as your form of punishment. You are the ones that keep barriers between citizens and police. You complain about "bad" cops that write tickets for a ridiculous "turn on red", but you do it in front of your kids. When you're stopped, you either complain to the cop, or voice your opinions as he/she is walking away in front of your child. You, my friend, are the one who is setting the bad example. Not us. The apple almost never falls far from the tree.
    I hate when I walk into a business or really just anywhere and the parents have a small child who is acting up and the parents tell thier small child "You better be good or the big bad policeman will get you" Telling this to a three year old absolutely mortifies the child of the police. You think that doesnt stick with them, to fear the police. I wonder if any studies were ever done on that subject, Parents who tell thier child the police is always there to help you or the parents who instill fear of the police in thier child. Another pet peeve of mine is when I go somewhere while working and get the response "I didnt do it" or "He did it" and points to his friend. If I had a dollar for everytime someone told me that Id be retired because I would be a millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by The good guy
    There are many different units in the police department. The officers that may have been seen out there could have been traffic unit guys and their main duty is traffic enforcement. In the department there is also a unit called the community affairs unit. Now I do believe regular road patrol officers should roll around the neighborhoods and talk to people, but some want to and some don't want to. But if you have a problem in your area then call up the community affairs unit and talk to them about it, They will help you out to thier best abilities.
    He could do that or have a Sergeant request a "special watch" and have officers pull case numbers 3 times a night. Now that's a waste of time. Our C.A.U. is only 3 or four strong, and there's only one that I know that comes into contact with the property owners of plazas that want trespass agreements (those e-mails are not only worthless, but annoying at the same time).
    Patrol officers should be out there finding crimes in progress. Not stopping at every household to talk to the kids. Kids that you threaten to have arrested by us if they don't wear their seatbelts. Kids that you threaten to have us arrest simply because they're being kids that disobey you and refuse to go to school, or follow your rules. You force your kids dislike us. You use us as your form of punishment. You are the ones that keep barriers between citizens and police. You complain about "bad" cops that write tickets for a ridiculous "turn on red", but you do it in front of your kids. When you're stopped, you either complain to the cop, or voice your opinions as he/she is walking away in front of your child. You, my friend, are the one who is setting the bad example. Not us. The apple almost never falls far from the tree.
    I hate when I walk into a business or really just anywhere and the parents have a small child who is acting up and the parents tell thier small child "You better be good or the big bad policeman will get you" Telling this to a three year old absolutely mortifies the child of the police. You think that doesnt stick with them, to fear the police. I wonder if any studies were ever done on that subject, Parents who tell thier child the police is always there to help you or the parents who instill fear of the police in thier child. Another pet peeve of mine is when I go somewhere while working and get the response "I didnt do it" or "He did it" and points to his friend. If I had a dollar for everytime someone told me that Id be retired because I would be a millionaire.
    Kind of went a little off topic on this thread now. It was originally about the intersection of University Dr & Sheridan St, not about how parents comment on LEOs.

Are you guys serious?
    You have enough man power to put two officers on Sheridan and University to write citations for "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED"?
    That is "Real Police Work" right?
    Clearly the City of Pembroke Pines needs to reduce the Police Department's budget if they can't find anything better to do.
    And for those that are going to say that I should stop whining about getting a ticket, I did
    not get one.
    Get a life and go catch real criminals instead of harassing the people who "turn right on red".
    Dude,

You must be one of the morons who can't read and got written up. Now your crying. Just pay the ticket, go to school or court. The options yours.

Are you guys serious?
    You have enough man power to put two officers on Sheridan and University to write citations for "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED"?
    That is "Real Police Work" right?
    Clearly the City of Pembroke Pines needs to reduce the Police Department's budget if they can't find anything better to do.
    And for those that are going to say that I should stop whining about getting a ticket, I did
    not get one.
    Get a life and go catch real criminals instead of harassing the people who "turn right on red".
    Dude,

You must be one of the morons who can't read and got written up. Now your crying. Just pay the ticket, go to school or court. The options yours.
    Agreed. Whether you agree with it or not, the sign(s) clearly state No Right Turn on Red. And it is there for good reason anyway, considering all the vehicles that make the left at their arrow to turn into the post office, etc.

Stand on any corner and watch the "law abiding" soccer mom or grandma or cellphone addicted moron blow the light either turning right on red or just flat out and out running it.
    Oh yeah, you got a ticket you cretin ,butch up. Call me when you pull your son ,daughter or some other loved one is pulled out in a heap because the asshole blew a light or just couldn't wait for the light to go green.
    I hope this never happens to you you POS. Write your letter.Ask that person how many times he's been called to get your pathetic little ass to be "helped out".
    Your the clown who doesn't want to get involved in helping but wants all the help.Now tell me your a taxpayer ,well boohoo.Come on by I'll give you a quarter.
    You"ll yell at an officer but you turn into a wuz when that person has no uniform.
    I've seen it happen,putz.
    So don't you dare criticize what we do until you've experienced it first hand,yes I am a veteran. This isn't CSI or that crap. This is reality.

If the concern was truly stopping people from turning right on red because it can be dangerous to others, then may I suggest that there are more effective means to accomplish this.
    All of the lanes have a light to advise drivers when they can proceed except the right turn lane. Why not put a red and green arrow light in the right turn lane so it is more obvious? Most of the intersections in Pembroke Pines allow right turns on red so it only follows that many drivers who have made hundreds of right on red turns and have done it cautiously and safely might erroneously do the same at this intersection. If indeed the police are concerned with the public safety why not post an officer next to the right turn lane on Sheridan with a big poster board with the following message in big red letters, " $230 FINE for turning right on red!!!!" And continue this public education mission until a red and green light is installed for the right turn lane. You would only need 1 officer instead of the 3 motorcycle officers I saw there this week. Those other 2 could be doing some other act to help the people who pay their salaries and outrageous pensions.
    These violators are not criminals and deserve a break. Why not give a warning notice if their driving record is clean?
    The most dangerous intersection in the USA according to State Farm's records is the intersection at Flamingo and Pines Boulevard yet there are no signs at that intersection prohibiting right turns on red.
    The small sign is similar to many intersection signs that say no right turn if pedestrians are in crosswalk which is another reason someone might not even read the sign that says no right turn on red. If 99+% of all intersections allow right turns on red why would anyone who designs intersection controls not think that it would be inadequate to have a small sign like they have now at University and Sheridan?
    To me it is clearly a trap whose only purpose is to collect fines that are way out of line with the violation. For punishment to be effective it must fit the crime. A 230 dollar fine which is the same fine as running a red light is absurd. To take over 14% of an older citizens social security for something that is legal at most of the intersections is just not right or fair.
    If this intersection is so dangerous then why is it that the no right turn sign is only in the lane going East??
    I think the damge that this does to the opinion that people have about the law is not worth the money that is collected with the fine.
    The camers that are at some intersections to catch red light runners have a fine of only $125, not $230 and there are no points or school required.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast