Lt Test - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lt Test

Re: Lt Test

C'mon LL Cool! Everyone always sees the glass as half empty! I look forward to going to work everyday. I have a boat, a 4x4, an ATV...even flew in one of our helicopters this week! I get to come and go when and where I please, and catch people doing things that have always bothered me. And what's more rewarding than helping someone who is in such a bind that they can't help themselves, but you have the equipment and training to save them? I've been putting on this uniform longer than some of you cry-babies have even been alive. If you had ever lived through tough times you would realize how great you have it, and how blessed you are to be a servant of the People. Now gimme a big ol' smile! There you go...see?

Quote Originally Posted by River Veteran
    C'mon LL Cool! Everyone always sees the glass as half empty! I look forward to going to work everyday. I have a boat, a 4x4, an ATV...even flew in one of our helicopters this week! I get to come and go when and where I please, and catch people doing things that have always bothered me. And what's more rewarding than helping someone who is in such a bind that they can't help themselves, but you have the equipment and training to save them? I've been putting on this uniform longer than some of you cry-babies have even been alive. If you had ever lived through tough times you would realize how great you have it, and how blessed you are to be a servant of the People. Now gimme a big ol' smile! There you go...see?
    This was a good post. That is until River Veteran had to start with working class hero crap about living through harder times. Maybe if way back when, he and his buddies pulled their collective tails from between their legs and actually fought for things like pay raises there wouldn't be negative posts or guys leaving. Call us a bunch of young crybaby all you want. It takes courage to stand up for change.

Now see...there you go again...more complaining. I never said we shouldn't stand up, and work toward change. I just wanted to point out that while we are working for it, let's not lose sight of what a great career this can be. I think a lot of that energy spent complaining could be used more productively to achieve our goals. We veteran officers have been responsible for huge changes, all for the better, in our careers. When I think back to how things were years ago, I know that is why I'm so impatient with all the belly-aching. We didn't have any of the luxuries we have today, so we worked toward improvement, but we all enjoyed the job. Look around the next time you're 10-8 and see how many people you can find with whom you would trade places. I doubt you'll find any, and if you do, what's stopping you? Go apply. Sorry about the cry-baby comment...I should have said "bed-wetters".

River Vet, we are realists and not living in a dream world like you obviously are. If our upper management really truly cared about us then they would do whatever they could for us such as nextels, other incentives besides pay. Our pay is in the 1980's and the last I looked we were almost in 2010....

Arrow Re: Lt Test

Now see...there you go again...more complaining. I never said we shouldn't stand up, and work toward change. I just wanted to point out that while we are working for it, let's not lose sight of what a great career this can be. I think a lot of that energy spent complaining could be used more productively to achieve our goals. We veteran officers have been responsible for huge changes, all for the better, in our careers. When I think back to how things were years ago, I know that is why I'm so impatient with all the belly-aching. We didn't have any of the luxuries we have today, so we worked toward improvement, but we all enjoyed the job. Look around the next time you're 10-8 and see how many people you can find with whom you would trade places. I doubt you'll find any, and if you do, what's stopping you? Go apply. Sorry about the cry-baby comment...I should have said "bed-wetters".
    River some people just wont be happy till they get everything they want and are not thankful for what they do have.....
    they want them to pay for the nextel so they can call someone to come fix there gear.... they wont believe the war stories of greasing your own bearings and PM your own boats or other Cost saving things that used to have to be done.

While i do not really agree with teh new LT process ( mostly becasue teh evaulators did not have to go through it) it is better than just promoting book smart people that test well.

There's some more of that good old fashion folksy wisdom again.

Realist? Dream world? Good grief man...we can both readily agree that our pay is way behind the times, but just how many hours a day do some of you spend pulling your hair out about all the things you DON'T have? Your glass is still half empty I see. Now sit down, because to make this point I have to go back to when I was a young officer. We had two wheel drive cars for patrol vehicles, and had never heard of Nextels or computers. We had one uniform that we wore for everything, didn't have handheld radios, rechargable flashlights, O.C. spray, fancy airplanes and helicopters, semi-automatic pistols, and we repaired our own dents and scratches. We didn't have issued sunscreen or bug spray, but we stayed in the woods for three of four days at a time, and were expected to log a few "donated hours" or "non-required" hours. I could go on and on, but I just saw your eyes roll up into your head. All that has changed, and more, in one man's career, so don't preach to me about how this agency doesn't do anything for us. If I live in a dream world it is because I have a different perspective than you. I know how good we have it today. Like any spoiled child, no matter how many toys you give them, they still kick around in circles and cry for more.

As River vet can attest he worked for the GFC when they had horse and buggy and you carried a bullet in your top pocket "just in case" you needed to use your wheel gun. No doubt things and times have changed but everything that you point out is a result of a little thing called "technology". That is your problem if you were required to donate hours... My point and I think yours is that society has evolved and so should the agency if they want to survive.

Realist? Dream world? Good grief man...we can both readily agree that our pay is way behind the times, but just how many hours a day do some of you spend pulling your hair out about all the things you DON'T have? Your glass is still half empty I see. Now sit down, because to make this point I have to go back to when I was a young officer. We had two wheel drive cars for patrol vehicles, and had never heard of Nextels or computers. We had one uniform that we wore for everything, didn't have handheld radios, rechargable flashlights, O.C. spray, fancy airplanes and helicopters, semi-automatic pistols, and we repaired our own dents and scratches. We didn't have issued sunscreen or bug spray, but we stayed in the woods for three of four days at a time, and were expected to log a few "donated hours" or "non-required" hours. I could go on and on, but I just saw your eyes roll up into your head. All that has changed, and more, in one man's career, so don't preach to me about how this agency doesn't do anything for us. If I live in a dream world it is because I have a different perspective than you. I know how good we have it today. Like any spoiled child, no matter how many toys you give them, they still kick around in circles and cry for more.
    To be so proud of being taken advantage of. That's the biggest problem with these old GFC guys. They have this "Well we did it, now it's ya'lls turn." The worst part of this good ol' days attitude is that it didn't have to be that way. Considering that you could not have hired on before 1970 or so. Why didn't you have hand held radios. For crying out loud, we talked to guys walking on the moon before the end of the 1960's. Why didn't you have 4X4s? The Jeep had been around since the 1940's. As for airplanes, have you ever heard of the Wright brothers? They did some pretty amazing things about 70 years before you may have hired on. On top of that you donated hours to one of the wealthiest states in our great nation. Just like the Amish, you chose to ignore technology. Another thing, we still don't have Nextels issued. The sooner guys like you retire the better off this agency will be. You should hang your head in shame.

I knew I could get you spuds all puffed up! Let's leave it like this...I'll continue to look forward to going to work, even after all these years, and you can all continue to walk around with your bottom lip pooched out. P.S. I just might know more about the Wright Brothers and flying than you think. Y'all be safe out there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast