shifts

Thread: shifts

shifts

What shifts does HCSO road patrol work? 8's, 10's, or 12,s? Do deputies bid by seniority to get days or mids? Thank you

Re: shifts

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/RandS/join_salary.html
    It's all right there for you.

We bid by seniority but if you are female and whine enough you can work dayshift your first year.

----
    I'm looking forward to this question being asked next week too :roll:

Well that could change with the redeployment. The redeployment is coming in the next few months. I have heard that the shift hours may change to a variety of hours. The hours I have heard are 8's, 10's and 12's.

The FTO's are getting shafted as well. They will have alternating hours based on the need of the agency. The FTO's I have talked to almost half are leaving due to the shifts being proposed. This will result in 2 year deputies training the recruits. This in my opinion is a bad option for the agency. Even though we have a lot of good newer deputies they don't make the best FTO's and the training will not be as good. This will open the agency up to lawsuits. The administration doesn't seem to care that once again they are going to loose a lot of good FTO's. The staff stated that somebody will want the FTO pay. But the FTO's don't train fro the pay, they train because they enjoy it. The pay just covers the food they have to buy because they are training somebody.

"Well that could change with the redeployment. The redeployment is coming in the next few months. I have heard that the shift hours may change to a variety of hours. The hours I have heard are 8's, 10's and 12's."

Great...........If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

Why do the brass have to F U C K things up for us .................... AGAIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Well that could change with the redeployment. The redeployment is coming in the next few months. I have heard that the shift hours may change to a variety of hours. The hours I have heard are 8's, 10's and 12's.

The FTO's are getting shafted as well. They will have alternating hours based on the need of the agency. The FTO's I have talked to almost half are leaving due to the shifts being proposed. This will result in 2 year deputies training the recruits. This in my opinion is a bad option for the agency. Even though we have a lot of good newer deputies they don't make the best FTO's and the training will not be as good. This will open the agency up to lawsuits. The administration doesn't seem to care that once again they are going to loose a lot of good FTO's. The staff stated that somebody will want the FTO pay. But the FTO's don't train fro the pay, they train because they enjoy it. The pay just covers the food they have to buy because they are training somebody.
    Some of what you say is true- however, alot of FTO's dont want to do it anymore because of the work. They are burned out; they dont want to come in an hour early and do the DOR from the previous day or they dont want to stay an extra hour or two because their recruit is still writing a 380 direct file from earlier in the evening. Lets call a spade a spade and dont blame it entirely on the shift hours.
    If the FTOs that qualify for the position have only 2-3 years experience but they meet the criteria and are selected by their captain/major, I say let them be FTO's. Unless you have direct evidence backing the statement you made "they dont make the best FTO's and the training will not be as good", its not valid. If the recruits make it through SOT, academy, module and FTO- they should be well trained and adequately prepared to be ready for the street. If they're not- that will be revealed and handled accordingly. There are quite a few FTO's with PIDs above 7000 that do a very good job at training the recruits- even though they may not have the "years and years" of experience that some people think they need.
    By the way, when I went through FTO, we missed our 40 time a grand total of once; so the statement about the extra money being for food is inaccurate as well.

There is no substitution for experience. The new beess fto's are hard working and go getters but lack the experience or knowledge to pass along to the new recruits. Dont get pissed off at that its just the way of the world. Doesnt make you less of an fto but it unfortuneatly cheats the recruit of the knowledge a veteran can provide. The office made a decision since alot of the veterans would step up to the plate and train. A lot of factors into why they wouldnt but they made that decision and we are where we are so deal we have to deal with the two year fto.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    There is no substitution for experience. The new beess fto's are hard working and go getters but lack the experience or knowledge to pass along to the new recruits. Dont get pissed off at that its just the way of the world. Doesnt make you less of an fto but it unfortuneatly cheats the recruit of the knowledge a veteran can provide. The office made a decision since alot of the veterans would step up to the plate and train. A lot of factors into why they wouldnt but they made that decision and we are where we are so deal we have to deal with the two year fto.
    Well said my friend. This is and HAS BEENthe unfortunate way that the office treats its veteran deputies. All the training in the world CANNOT and NEVER WILL replace the extremely valuable information that only a veteran LEO can provide to a new recruit w/o any prior LEO experience. I agree that there are some real good young deputies that have been hired and I wish them nothing but the best and safest careers, but they DO NOT have the "SIXTH SENSE" and STREET SMARTS that come ONLY by working many years on the job. Think about it...........we all know of certain deputies that we look up to or go to for answers when the situation is not written in any manual....which is usually the case most of the time. You should be able to look back years from now and still be in awe of your FTO's, because they should have been the ones that had the COMMON SENSE answer's and ability to make every situation winnable, so that you go home safe to your family each and every day. I'm sorry, but two or three years experience is not enough to be that kind of person. You all be safe.