LEO Privacy- your information may be on the internet

LEO Privacy- your information may be on the internet

I just found my address and information on the internet. Thought this could help out.

This is to help everyone with their privacy, but especially those who have law enforcement loved ones. There are two major search engines on the internet to find out information (address, phone, age, etc.) on people.
    The first and the easiest to correct is www.whitepages.com
    How can I remove my listing information from WhitePages?

Search for your listing information on www.WhitePages.com (Be sure to check maiden names as well)
    If your search includes multiple results, click on the “Listing Details” link for your listing.
    Scroll down to the “Privacy Options” section and click, “Is this you?Remove listing" link.
    Follow the directions for removal of your information.

The second is little more difficult to remove your info from. It is called www.ussearch.com and it is tied into the white pages listing as well as other search engines. Look up your name and write down each way it appears. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on"Privacy". Next, look for #3 "Opt-out rights" and click on the link. You will have to fill out your information exactly as it appears and then print it out and mail it to the address provided on the form.

Re: LEO Privacy- your information may be on the internet

Are you new to information technology?

You haven't even scratched the surface of public (and not-so-public) records sources where information can be found about you. In this age it is virtually impossible to eliminate all such places. Privacy paranoia is simply going to drive you crazy if you take the confidentially thing too seriously.

If someone really has a grudge against you personally for some police action that you have taken against them all they have to do is follow you home from work one day. Now THAT thought should really pump up your paranoia!

You DO realize that it isn't even illegal to disclose personal information about a LEO.... it's only illegal if it can be proven that the disclosure was for a malicious purpose. The only thing the law actually does is exclude some personal information from the public records disclosure law.

Strangely, many LEOs who get all pumped up about disclosure don't really know the law.