The Future - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future

Re: The Future

I like to read alot of information that is out there so I can stay informed. In reference to the Unions speaking out, I have noticed that the PBA has spoken up on a few occasions as it pertains to their members. I agree, however, that OUR union the FOP has not done anything.

Post Re: The Future

The unions in this state are a joke. They have no "real" power. All they do is take our money and stand back while we all drown. It does not matter which union you have, FOP, PBA, IUPA etc. They are all worthless. The law enforcement field is in CRISIS MODE right now and not a word from the unions. All that money that we contribute should at least be able to get some air time on TV or radio.

I am a retired northern cop and years ago we had the same issues. It was all about the money because we were a small community. We solved our problem by doing several things to keep the cops on the street. We cut the top 3 guys (none of us knew why we needed that many to run our small dept) and then replaced them with less expensive people - the ones that had been running our dept in the first place (only 2 were replaced). Then we looked into consolidating or dissolving our dispatch center. That saved a gob from our budget. Just by doing these things we were able to not cut any police officers. Sounds like you guys already had to do that though.

Hope you guys do okay. Maybe the people that make these decisions can leave the officers on the street and skim any cream at the top and cut civilian positions.... It saved my old department when the decision makes did that for us way back then.

Stay safe you guys... I wish you all well....

Northern,
    Cutting dispatch to keep officers on the street is a great idea. However, it was discussed last year and decided on by the powers that be that we would keep our dispatch and instead lay off an entire squad (4 sworn positions). If you can figure out the logic in that one, please let us know because we still can not understand that one. The mentality down here is COMPLETELY different from everywhere else. When the chief was asked by the city commissioners, "What would you rather have, a new patrol vehicle? Or an officer on the street?" His response, "The car". I guess if I made the big $$$$$$$$ and didn't have to worry about backup because I sat behind a desk all day long, I might ask for the car too

I honestly believe the City Manager is waiting for the 2 stooges to let the PD implode and the residents will have no choice but to bring in the Sheriff. If he was concerned with the numbers he would have removed both of them already. We all know who runs the department (DO) and without (DO) the 2 stooges would be left to look more ignorant than they do now. I think back to how great the department was for a long time. It is so sad to see how it is today...and that is the fault of the third floor and the City Manager for not paying attention.

And, SPB269, there were MANY years you were the biggest complainer in the department. How dare you tell others to leave if they aren't happy. Why can't you give them the opportunity to mature like you obviously have.

Quote Originally Posted by Used to be one of you
    I honestly believe the City Manager is waiting for the 2 stooges to let the PD implode and the residents will have no choice but to bring in the Sheriff. If he was concerned with the numbers he would have removed both of them already. We all know who runs the department (DO) and without (DO) the 2 stooges would be left to look more ignorant than they do now. I think back to how great the department was for a long time. It is so sad to see how it is today...and that is the fault of the third floor and the City Manager for not paying attention.

And, SPB269, there were MANY years you were the biggest complainer in the department. How dare you tell others to leave if they aren't happy. Why can't you give them the opportunity to mature like you obviously have.

You are 100% correct. The C/Mgr WANTS to contract out and he is probably going to have the figures to make it happen in the near future... It's time I start looking for someplace else to get a job. I know all agencies are tight right now, but at least their cuts are not street cops! The other agencies cut civilian positions and keep the street cops on the street. Not SPB..., they cut street cops and keep civilians... And all the cops HATE and RESENT that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be one of you

You are 100% correct. The C/Mgr WANTS to contract out and he is probably going to have the figures to make it happen in the near future... It's time I start looking for someplace else to get a job. I know all agencies are tight right now, but at least their cuts are not street cops! The other agencies cut civilian positions and keep the street cops on the street. Not SPB..., they cut street cops and keep civilians... And all the cops HATE and RESENT that decision.
    Let me make it simple ad to the point. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is making you stay. Thank you to the officers who appreciate the job they have and respect the efforts of the adminstration.

QUOTE: "Let me make it simple ad to the point. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is making you stay. Thank you to the officers who appreciate the job they have and respect the efforts of the adminstration." END QUOTE

Umm, yeah... whatever.

Respect and Appreciation... Yep, simple you kept it. By the way, no one is making you stay either....

Respect and Appreciation.... Clearly either Admin or civilian. Either way, need to stay off of this board... This is reserved for cops, or friends of cops...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast