The Future
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future

The Future

What kind of future is there for an officer at this department? Yes, it's great to have a job in this turbulent economy. However, even if the agency some how stays afloat, what will be left after the dust settles? The specialty units are almost completely gone. We are an island/beach community and our boat comes out once a week (if we're lucky) and the ATV only comes out with schedules being rearranged. Do you really want to be "humping calls" for the next 20 years? There is nothing to look forward to anymore. Two Detective positions and two motorcycles. If we have more cuts, we will probably lose a motor and a Detective.

We lost 13% of our sworn officers last budget year. Now, the city is possibly wanting another $500,000 from our budget. Has anyone in city hall and upstairs actually LOOKED at our staffing now?????? We don't have it to cut. How are we going to lose more officers? One person calls out sick now and it's mandatory OT. What are they going to do if they lose more positions? No one seems to care that it is becoming an officer safety issue, especially during Spring Break. One officer on the beach on a Saturday on the ATV for several thousand people???? Are they INSANE!?!?!? Where are our "fearless leaders"? They know we are short handed, yet they still sit up there typing emails all day and taking long lunches. Why don't they come out on the street and answer some calls?

As I stated above, even if our agency somehow survives this economy, what kind of future is there for us? Answer: None!

Re: The Future

Beach Cop,
    You’re right, there are not a lot of specialty units, but that’s the way it should be. Anyone that came into this agency believing they were going get the chance to transfer into a bunch of specialty units is kidding themselves. If those officers were sold that future by management, well you should have known better. This is an island police department. Our primary responsibility is to protect and serve our residents, businesses and tourists. We should be the definition of community policing, but management doesn’t want it that way.

Anyone that wants to run and gun or feel more important because they are in a specialty unit, more power to you and good luck in a bigger agency. We are in this position because of a lack of management. When the #1 and #2 are more concerned with themselves then the well being of the department, this is the outcome. They don’t realize what their job really is. They want this to be a big agency with all the toys they can get.

Do we need two motors? No, one is just fine. Do we need a traffic car? Nope. It’s just another toy for their toy box. Do we need assault rifles? Absolutely not. They’re just more things to waste money on. This is what happens when you give shopaholics the check book. They make their decisions based on their own selfish wants.

You asked if anyone in City Hall or upstairs has looked at our staffing. We know that the two mental midgets upstairs have looked at our staffing. They looked at how many they wanted to sacrifice for their own benefit. Last year it was 4 sworn and three support staff. What’s the magic number this year? None of the worker ants will know until it’s too late. At that point the geniuses upstairs will feed us all the same line “we didn’t want to cut anyone, but we have no control over this outcome.”

If the cuts are coming, why don’t we lay all the cards on the table and call a spade a spade. If we’re looking at loosing 1, 2, 3 or 4 sworn, why not cut the dead weight at the top and save the people that actually do the work? We’d also save the money spent on gas and maintenance for their take home vehicles. Why is it ok for everyone else to spend their money on gas to drive to and from work? Oh I forgot, they are subject to call out. BS!

You asked where our fearless leaders are. Well, they used to be at Skidders half the day, but they’ve found another place to spend their time. I’m sure if you want to meet with them, you might get a few words in during the ice cream social at Scoops. If you do get some answers, just take it at face value. Then go to a bookie and bet the opposite of what they said. The only good that comes out when they talk is carbon dioxide for the plants.

I disagree with them coming out and answering calls. Who needs that? Do you really want them out there telling you you’re doing a great job, going to your Sgt and making their life more challenging? It’s a lose, lose situation. The cancer is contained upstairs, don’t let it spread.

There is a future here, but the duo wearing the rose colored glasses can’t see it and they can’t get us there. With that said, we all know how this place will survive. It’s time for a change at the top. City Hall needs to sharpen the ax and aim for the top.

wow !!!

Bees,
    I understand what you are saying and I agree to a point. Most of us realized that when we came here there was not a whole lot to do as far as specialies, but there were a couple. It would have been nice after working for the department for 5 or six years to say, "I need a break from nothing but answering calls and I want to try something new". To my knowledge, all of the officers & supervisors that have more than 15 years on have been in CID at one point or another. That was a great opportunity to learn another aspect of law enforcement. That opportunity is soon to be no longer there.

I do see your point though with the community policing. We could probably do a lot more of that if we didn't spend the majority of our shift typing so many reports! At least 40%-50% of the calls that we go to should not have an officer report completed. Reckless driver-GOA, REPORT! D.A.V., REPORT! Someone has a simple question for an officer, REPORT! It's a waste.

And as far as having the Titanic captain and his first mate working the street, I was just saying that they could come out and TAKE a call and write a report. Not have them come out and run the street. No, I don't not want them showing up andtelling me how to answer a call for service, but they could come out and pitch in a little during spring break.

And I could not agree more with City Hall cutting from the top. I had heard that they are looking into that, but I will believe it when I see it.

Saty Safe!

Beach Cop,
    I understand the point you are making about needing a change every now and then. I agree that learning another area of law enforcement is important. Like you said, it would break up the routine of answering calls all the time.

An excellent point about the ridiculous reports we write. I’m not sure how many agencies write as many non-crime reports as we do. How about this idea; we stop writing these crazy non-crime reports that no one will ever need and we use that time to interact with the citizens.

I didn’t think you were saying they should jump on a shift and work it. I was just saying, when you have a cancer contained it’s best to prevent it from spreading. The Sgt.’s are questioned and second guessed enough when the lions are in their cages, I can only imagine what would happen if they started to roam freely.

I’ve heard the same rumblings about city hall’s supposed plan. I’m willing to bet you didn’t hear it from our management. No one hears anything from them. They operate with a hear no evil speak no evil mind set. They believe if they don’t speak about it and you don’t hear about it, then it won’t come true.

I think they are having a competition: Best Impression of an Ostrich (stick your head DEEP in the sand and there are no problems)!

The two of you have a lot to say. It sounds like you are extremely unhappy here. If you are that unhappy maybe you should leave or rather then ***** come up with a solution not just get rid of the top it will take more. These are going to be tough times and something is going to happen. The way we are use to doing business is going to change. It has to or it will not matter if leave or not there will not be a PD for you to complain about.

Every post before this has legitimate statements for their personal thoughts. No one person can say your wrong or your right for your feelings. I agree with Spb269 that for every gripe that you bring to the table you ought to have at least ada boy/girl letter of positive action. If you are not happy...keep it to yourself and either improve in yourself on how you see yourself being productive your department or quietly look for were you can be happy. I know this will be an old washed out linen statement here.....but, the meadows are NOT always plusher on the other side of the barb wired fence.

With my tiny bit of philosophy said.....I want to say congrats on the latest removal "SD". For this person to put on a uniform for SPB and to wear a wedding ring only to go out and place his fellow officers at a high risk of their own personal safety for his own sadistic needs of selfish passion is purely unforgivable. "SD"'s malicious actions of deceit had been going on for a few years. His last on the job brothels apparently had been again swept under the Chiefs desk because of the shame and or humility of the possibility that his actions would become public. Or the two top guns would have to conduct a "Fair and Just" IA investigation.

The uniform does not define who we are..it is US who define our jobs as a LEO. "SD" placed several of his fellow Officer's at risk for their safety just to save his adultress affair(s). For the top brass to justify and make excuses for "SD" before they FINALLY decided to take his badge (so to speak) just demoralized the moral and judgement for the rest of the good hearted SPB officers left to pick up the pieces of shattered trust of the fellow brothers/sisters. Now I know a lot of you like "SD" he has been with SPB for a long time and had accomplished great goals within the department. But, I have to draw the line when his willful unconscionable intent for a a three second satisfaction had impacted the entire perception of the department and for the other officer's possibility of not coming home to see their own wife and kids.

A couple more shadowy officers/upper brass need to hang up the belt...all in due time. We cultivate are future by every thought that we put into action. If the thought and action are conducted with a poor malicious energy then this energy will again return to its sender.

Stay safe my fellow friends and always....always remember a trusting smile to a stranger or co-worker goes a long way.

If you check out some of the other agencies message boards, you find frustrated officers just looking to let off some steam or just having their voices heard. But there always seems to be some "old timers" that always say the same thing, "You don't like it? Leave!" Great message to send to the younger officers. That is basically saying, your opinions don't matter and nothing can be done to fix the problems. "SPB269", I don't see you running up and down the halls telling EVERYONE to leave, why is that? You can't get two or more officers in an area and not have everyone complaining about the downfall of our department. All I ever hear is agreement. I have yet to hear someone (yourself included) telling everyone "You don't like it? Leave!" We have legitimate gripes and concerns and we have a RIGHT TO VOICE THEM! This website is designed as a meeting place for officers to discuss different topics. Right now, the topic is our department's lack of leadership and the fact that our numbers are lessening each budget year.

To all the above, lots of good stuff and I HOPE that the upcoming staff meeting will address these items. As it goes the guys (and gals) on the bottom are the last to find out what is going on. Maybe,
    a general meeting to address all these would be a good idea !!. Things can be corrected if everyone talks about it . Lots of good people in this department and thats what makes it, and like every department they have some problems just like life in general if we were all perfect we would be out of a job ! Its funny that with all these cuts of police officers that we have not heard anything from the police unions that we supoort, they sure are lacking on that support and help in fighting the cuts. Also sure havent seen anything from the Florida Assoc of Chief's of Police on this topic. Looks like Law enforcement is taking it with no fight thats what gets me the most. Lost of 4 officer and other support staff and maybe more to come, at least fight for it, but we have a pool !!! :wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast