Attention all who left FWC !! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Attention all who left FWC !!

The last decent raises given to State LEOs were in the early to mid 80s under then Gov. Martinez. From Walking Lawton Chiles to present there have only been token raises, if any. The State attracted LEO applicants during hard economic times because of the job security but based on current times there may be no attraction other then the academy training. Even if you stay long enough to retire,a large portion of your pension will be spent on the health insurance. Get out while you still have your youth, health,and energy to apply towards a career with an agency that you will have a future with.

I recently left the commission after 7 years. I am not angry or disgruntled with the FWC, but I don't miss it at all. I cannot believe the difference.

It wasn't an easy decision for me, but it was one of the best decisions I could have made. I got hired in my home county and make $5,000 more a year, and my agency doesn't pay for experience.

For those of you who are considering leaving, don't believe the naysayers, make the change. FWC Officers recieve great training and law enforcement agencies are happy and willling to employee you.

For those of you who love the agency and continue to protect the people and natural resources of Florida, keep up the good work and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich
    I understand why FWC officers leave (bc of the pay, lack of promotion, morale / or disinterest in their job). My question is, don't you already know this before you get into the FWC proffesion? Obviously you're either not doing your research or you're very easy to be manipulated.

Taking college graduates with bachelors degrees in Wildlife Management and Natural Resource Management would help the retention rate. Why? Simple, individuals who graduate with these degrees already know they will not make wealthy salaries. Most of these individuals are infatuated with nature and would love to have a job fullfilled with this aspect. In addition, any other job these individuals would obtain based on their college major does not pay great either.

You must be smoking dope!

Quote Originally Posted by not fwc
    Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich
    I understand why FWC officers leave (bc of the pay, lack of promotion, morale / or disinterest in their job). My question is, don't you already know this before you get into the FWC proffesion? Obviously you're either not doing your research or you're very easy to be manipulated.

Taking college graduates with bachelors degrees in Wildlife Management and Natural Resource Management would help the retention rate. Why? Simple, individuals who graduate with these degrees already know they will not make wealthy salaries. Most of these individuals are infatuated with nature and would love to have a job fullfilled with this aspect. In addition, any other job these individuals would obtain based on their college major does not pay great either.

You must be smoking dope!
    Just speaking the truth. A Wildlife Management or Natural Resource Management 4 yr degree holder knows these facts. Their job opportunities consist of State agencies like FWC or DEP. Federal agencies Fish and Wildlife, National Parks, Bureau of Land Management, US Army Corps of Engineers, Border Patrol. There are very few private sector jobs for these degrees unless you become a rafting/hiking tour guide.

All these agencies don't provide great pay, but they all provide stability. Since u smoke dope, I figure u have no idea what any of the federal agencies I listed even do.

Whats so funny about this thread is how some, like this Hinrich person, justify state employees working year after year for starting salary as somehow normal. What else is so funny is the dope comment. With years of working in and around the type of people that get the above mentioned degrees I can tell you THEY are the ones smoking it. Idealistic, trust fund, wannabee Rasta, rich kids. When mama and daddy get tired of supporting their save the world ideas they too look for a living wage.

The thing that kills me is that someone is actually justifying the fact that the state doesn't pay squat!! I knew when I got into this job I knew I wasn't going to be rich. I wanted to do the job. The fact that we are stuck at the same living wage that we have been since I have been on is NOT acceptable!!! Not having a cost of living raise is crazy. I know someone is going to say "you should be lucky to have a job", well you are right I am lucky, however it is not right that the pay rate has not changed. It is terrible that we have a revolving door when it comes to new officers. I say this because I care and not because I don't care. This agency would be the SH&* had things been different. Instead, they plod along at the same horrible pace with the same horrible leadership.

I have a two year degree in criminal justice, I am a Florida native, I have been an avid outdoors man my entire life, I love to be in the woods almost as much as I like to be offshore. I find it incomprehensible that the State of Florida would expect me to do a job with out comparable pay where there is no question about the status of the person I am chasing through the woods in the dark. A FHP or county/city officer may or may not be dealing with and armed suspect during the course of their duties, an FWC officer goes about his or her job knowing that they are dealing with armed persons. Hunters have guns and bows and fishermen have knives and gaffs. The level of danger demands if not comparable pay greater pay in my eyes. Poachers have the advantage in most cases since they are on their home turf both in the woods and on the water, an FWC officer is usually a very long way from backup and not in any area where he or she may have grown up. Poaching laws are such that poachers stand to lose a great deal more than just their freedom if caught and this has caused some of them to do some desperate things. Why do people not see this? Why would you assume that a degree in anything is going to cause folks to stay when the risk far out weighs the reward? I doubt there are too many folks who have a more abiding love for nature than I do and while I am no fraidy cat if I am to be shot at defending nature I would like it to be worth my while.

Just wondering, how much makes it worth your while? $50,000,$65,000...

Throught out a number!

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Blood
    I have a two year degree in criminal justice, I am a Florida native, I have been an avid outdoors man my entire life, I love to be in the woods almost as much as I like to be offshore. I find it incomprehensible that the State of Florida would expect me to do a job with out comparable pay where there is no question about the status of the person I am chasing through the woods in the dark. A FHP or county/city officer may or may not be dealing with and armed suspect during the course of their duties, an FWC officer goes about his or her job knowing that they are dealing with armed persons. Hunters have guns and bows and fishermen have knives and gaffs. The level of danger demands if not comparable pay greater pay in my eyes. Poachers have the advantage in most cases since they are on their home turf both in the woods and on the water, an FWC officer is usually a very long way from backup and not in any area where he or she may have grown up. Poaching laws are such that poachers stand to lose a great deal more than just their freedom if caught and this has caused some of them to do some desperate things. Why do people not see this? Why would you assume that a degree in anything is going to cause folks to stay when the risk far out weighs the reward? I doubt there are too many folks who have a more abiding love for nature than I do and while I am no fraidy cat if I am to be shot at defending nature I would like it to be worth my while.
    I posed this question to a squad from a multi-agency task force one morning. I think the debate is still raging between these LEOs of various backgrounds, training, and experience.
    Which truly is the greater threat and the more dangerous one: approaching the scene/vehicle knowing the individual has a weapon or NOT knowing if the individual has a weapon or not? Think about it. Food for thought...

The other issue is that when FHP or a deputy stop someone there is probably a violation that has occurred. 99% of the people we deal with have done nothing wrong. They are out having a good time trying to recreate. Although we have no police backup usually, I was in a camp in south florida dealing with some of the other 1%. A bunch of guys were drunk and getting stupid. I stepped in to take care of the situation and it got bad fast. Several of the 99%er's were camped next door and stepped over to see if I needed assistance. It kept a bad situation from getting really bad. I had to take several months of ribbing hoe they saves the game wardens butt, but in reality it probably saved someone from serious injury. I for one dont mind dealing with armed individuals.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast