Attention all who left FWC !!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Attention all who left FWC !!

Just a question to those guys who left FWC to go on to other things.

I might be leaving soon and was wondering how long that it took you guys to get your leave payouts for Annual and Special Comp.

Just trying to plan ahead because I would like it to get recorded on this fiscal year if poossible for retirement purposes.

Thanks

Re: Attention all who left FWC !!

Mine took about 60 days.

Mine took 34 days. You need to be off the books at least for 30 days.

I'm just curious, why did u join FWC? Everyone knows what the job is like already. You're not going to become a wealthy man from it, but u already knew that.

FWC needs to hire individuals with 4 yr degrees in Wildlife management or Natural Resource Management. They would not have these problems of FWC LEO leaving!

I don't know how long it takes to get your payout if you leave, but good for you. I hope you choose a career that benefits you and your family. I am still amazed that people ask why officers leave the commission. Maybe if the FWC took better care of LEO, they wouldn't leave. Not getting rich and making a living are two different things.

I understand why FWC officers leave (bc of the pay, lack of promotion, morale / or disinterest in their job). My question is, don't you already know this before you get into the FWC proffesion? Obviously you're either not doing your research or you're very easy to be manipulated.

Taking college graduates with bachelors degrees in Wildlife Management and Natural Resource Management would help the retention rate. Why? Simple, individuals who graduate with these degrees already know they will not make wealthy salaries. Most of these individuals are infatuated with nature and would love to have a job fullfilled with this aspect. In addition, any other job these individuals would obtain based on their college major does not pay great either.

Making a wealthy salary is not the issue, being passed over for raises year after year is. I have been with the company for almost 19 years and have to much invested to leave. If julie would have put the effort in getting us a competetive salary that she put in the stupid acredidation then we would be sitting pretty. I have seen two years where it looked like raises were in the bag only to have PBA kill the first one (dignity 2000) and the other killed in suspicious circumstances. IUPA was voted out that year and we returned to the same old PBA. The only difference this year is that in past years at least there was achance of something next year. Now it looks like we are stuck for at least several more years with nothing.

I thought they left because of the funny new hats and badges...

I am shocked that anyone still has the gall to come on these message boards and comment that someone with bachelors’ degrees in Wildlife Management and Natural Resource Management would help the retention rate? We work in Law Enforcement, believe it or not, and we should receive pay comparable to other law enforcement agencies not to someone who expects to get paid a low salary. I do not put my life on the line to with the intention of being fulfilled by the outdoors. It is one of the few aspects that I enjoy about the job, but come on!

I did not choose this career to get rich but I also have an expectation of being properly compensated for the job I do, which by the way is law enforcement. I have watched officers literally lower their standard of living to keep this job and be able to support thier families and that is an embarrassment to the FWC. When I see these officers struggling, it does not make me want to hire others who would expect a lower salary, it makes me wish the FWC would take care of its' own.

The guest who replied to you has dedicated 19 years of his life for this agency, 11 more than I have, and he can see the dire situation we are in, wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I am shocked that anyone still has the gall to come on these message boards and comment that someone with bachelors’ degrees in Wildlife Management and Natural Resource Management would help the retention rate? We work in Law Enforcement, believe it or not, and we should receive pay comparable to other law enforcement agencies not to someone who expects to get paid a low salary. I do not put my life on the line to with the intention of being fulfilled by the outdoors. It is one of the few aspects that I enjoy about the job, but come on!

I did not choose this career to get rich but I also have an expectation of being properly compensated for the job I do, which by the way is law enforcement. I have watched officers literally lower their standard of living to keep this job and be able to support thier families and that is an embarrassment to the FWC. When I see these officers struggling, it does not make me want to hire others who would expect a lower salary, it makes me wish the FWC would take care of its' own.

The guest who replied to you has dedicated 19 years of his life for this agency, 11 more than I have, and he can see the dire situation we are in, wake up.
    I believe I already told you why it would help the retention rate. Individuals with those degrees already have an understanding that they will not make a great salary. Contributing in their field along with being an LEO still does not give them the idea that they will become wealthy as a FWC officer. U believe it should! I understand your simpathy, but u also need to understand that some things will never change. U seem like your in denial! I undertand the pay will be the lowest and I'm fine with that. To compensate I have other means of income that would not interfere with FWC.

Could I survive raising a family on FWC income? Without a spouse income and family support, it would be very rough. I admit that, but also understand that before I get into this career (that's why I have other means of income). Should the salary be changed? Of course (but it won't). If you want to be in law enforcement and be compensated for years of service, then this is not the job for you. There are 1200 agencies (honestly I don't have a clue how many there are) in the state that u could apply for.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast