TPD vs HCSO - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TPD vs HCSO

Re: TPD vs HCSO

[quote=St. Pete PD Officer]
    Quote Originally Posted by "road dude":286fr101
    I never said that I have it easy. I actually work in the busiest district in the office. I do hump lots of calls..thats my job. But as far as writing reports...not that often. People compalin and complain but I bet that there isn't one deputy in any district that averages more than 3 reports per day, unless it is self generated activity. 3 reports.. even at 2 hours per report/investigation is only half your work day..and its probably more like one hour per report.
    You mean to tell me that you guys work 12 hour days and only get 3 reports per day. WOW!!! Over here in good ole St. Pete we work 10 hour days and I usually get 4-5 reports per day easily....thats not counting the 1 accident per day that i average getting. Are you guys still hiring because i got to get out of this place fast. Be safe!![/quote:286fr101]

Depends on area you work... Ive worked on west side (D1 and D3) my whole career. Some areas/zones can be busy, averaging 3-5 reports a shift. Others arent too busy, maybe 1 or 2 a night. Cant speak for east side (D2 and D4); when I work offduty out there sometimes their radio channels are pretty busy with calls, especially on weekends.

Most reports dont take too long to bang out on MRE. Only ones with property entries seem to be a little bit of a pain in the rear. Most of the accident reports are handled by AI units when theyre available, they get pretty busy too sometimes though.

The problem has always been that the office does not properly staff the areas that are notoriously busy like D2. There ARE NEVER ENOUGH units available to hump the call volume and no matter what anyone says, it has not gotten any better. So what you have is deputies doing half azz reports & investigations so that they can get X8 before their supervisor or zone deps get on em about taking too long on calls. This is a big part of the reason why the property dets, or whatever they are called now, get assigned so many calls. The street units don't follow up on any of the leads unless it is around the corner or they have no choice, like some DV calls. It also comes down to the fact the office still dispatches deputies to calls that should have been handled over the phone or better yet, not at all. Last but not least, if only FHP would work more traffic crashes, instead of dictating to us what calls they feel like working. Plant City also refuses to work most calls that are halfway in their jurisdiction and has also routinely refused to send a officer to help HCSO out on a investigation nearby. But good old HCSO can't say no to anyone and will volunteer to take any call regardless of how many calls are already holding due to how busy it is. And people wonder why there is NO TIME to do any proactive crime prevention by zone deputies.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The problem has always been that the office does not properly staff the areas that are notoriously busy like D2. There ARE NEVER ENOUGH units available to hump the call volume and no matter what anyone says, it has not gotten any better. So what you have is deputies doing half azz reports & investigations so that they can get X8 before their supervisor or zone deps get on em about taking too long on calls. This is a big part of the reason why the property dets, or whatever they are called now, get assigned so many calls. The street units don't follow up on any of the leads unless it is around the corner or they have no choice, like some DV calls. It also comes down to the fact the office still dispatches deputies to calls that should have been handled over the phone or better yet, not at all. Last but not least, if only FHP would work more traffic crashes, instead of dictating to us what calls they feel like working. Plant City also refuses to work most calls that are halfway in their jurisdiction and has also routinely refused to send a officer to help HCSO out on a investigation nearby. But good old HCSO can't say no to anyone and will volunteer to take any call regardless of how many calls are already holding due to how busy it is. And people wonder why there is NO TIME to do any proactive crime prevention by zone deputies.

Think about what you just posted. You blasted FHP and PCPD for not taking calls when you think they should. Then you blast HCSO for taking these type of calls. Do you want HCSO to turn their backs on citizens that need assistance? It doesn't sound like it. Take the calls one at a time, as that is all that can be asked of you. And a good deputy will always find the way to use the restroom and get a meal.

You should look at it from the stand point that you work for an agency that cares about those that foot the money that allows us to pay the bills. Being a law enforcement officer is much more than about enforcing the law. I always said that if we could not help the person that called us, hopefully we gave them enough information to send them in the right direction to a government/private agency that could.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal

You should look at it from the stand point that you work for an agency that cares about those that foot the money that allows us to pay the bills. Being a law enforcement officer is much more than about enforcing the law. I always said that if we could not help the person that called us, hopefully we gave them enough information to send them in the right direction to a government/private agency that could.

Joe, I think you said a lot right there in those three sentences!!!!
    Mod184@leoaffairs.com
    Never get so pretentious that you can't laugh at yourself!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234