TPD vs HCSO
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPD vs HCSO

TPD vs HCSO

I am a LEO with over 10 years experience and may be looking to apply to HCSO or TPD. Any advice to the pros and cons of either dept. Also has is the pay at HCSO? Thanks for any advice.

Re: TPD vs HCSO

Take a look across the bay at the pinellas so and see the future of one of the departments. One was fiscally responsible and the other has bloated ranks, pay scales, and benefits. My prediction is either layoffs for tpd or a drastic cut in services. Dont get my wrong its a great department but I can tell you when the chief starts contacting the so about contract out avation, marine and k9 services, it doesnt look good. And of course the chief wants that all hush hush so you wont see that on any memo.

HCSO is a good agency but they aren't veteran friendly. Your 10 years of prior experience will get you zip at HCSO, you will start at base pay just like a 21 yr old rookie fresh out of the academy.

In your case, the following will be what you encounter with the two agencies:

TPD: Right now they are only hiring people with experience, and they keep moving the next hiring date up (probably budget issues). You will start at step 3 making $50K. You get sworn in on day 1. You will attend a 6 week holdover then go onto an accelerated FTO program (1 month). The chances of getting days are better since there is shift differential pay for mids (meaning some people choose to work mids for the $$ - even though its only .60 cents per hr). TPD issues you a firearm and has a more practical uniform for patrol. You have to contribute to the pension (about 4% now), but the city's multiplier (3.15%) is higher than FRS (3%). The pension is also 20 and out. Keep in mind, however, that the pension contribution may jump to 10% next year, but it has been as low as 1.8% when times are good.

HCSO: You start at step 1 making $44k (they are trying to change this but civil service is being stupid about it). You attend a 10 module before FTO and don't get sworn in until you finish the module (not sure if this affects your high risk status in the FRS pension). You may go through an accelerated FTO program or you may have to go through the whole thing (about 4 months). Your major/captain will make this determination when you get to your district (I've seen it go both ways for people with experience). If you have no political poll and are a decent cop, you can expect to work mids in patrol for about 4-5 years before you get days or a specialty squad (there is no shift differential pay either). You have to purchase your own gun but you have access to a top notch range (in Lithia). The white shirts aren't the best for patrol but the green BDU training uniform is nice. You don't have to contribute to the pension, but its 25 and out.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Does HCSO work the traffic crashes in the county or does FHP respond and work them? Reason I ask is because agencies north of you.. FHP works all crashes. I know TPD is city and they have to work there own.

Take a look across the bay at the pinellas so and see the future of one of the departments. One was fiscally responsible and the other has bloated ranks, pay scales, and benefits. My prediction is either layoffs for tpd or a drastic cut in services. Dont get my wrong its a great department but I can tell you when the chief starts contacting the so about contract out avation, marine and k9 services, it doesnt look good. And of course the chief wants that all hush hush so you wont see that on any memo
    Funny, I just read in the paper a few weeks ago the Sheriffs Office wanted jail deputies to check on inmates underwear in the wash to make sure it was a full load to help save money on electricity and water. Talk about money problems! Truth be told, the sheriffs office spends more on total pay (Salary and Benefits) per deputy than the City of Tampa spends per officer, so I would not make and argument on "bloated , pay scales, and benefits. Just like every goverment enity, revenue is declining. So don't get to caught up thinking your special, You are going to feel it just like every other agency.

To the original poster, both a good agencies, both have good and bad points. I would suggest you go do a ride along with both, talk to the deputy/ officer and make your own decision. I think you will be doing very well if you get hired by either. Only problem we have at the Sheriffs office is the deputy to citizen ratio is dangerously low in my opinion, other than that its a good place to work. We just seem to take more interest in the budget on having pretty buildings than our manpower problems. Good luck in what ever you decide.

There is a reason why they are cracking down on costs, to include jail costs, they are trying to use every penny wisely. It's another smart move, just like making a gas station in each district where u save 50 cents on the gallon. Again, a smart move. There are many more, its why hcso isnt in a financial crisis. Look at one policy of tpd and see total waste, why would you allow an officer to leave his jurisdiction in a city car and not pay a surcharge. If I lived in the city that would piss me off. Tpd is up for a new contract and the way the mayor is talking its going to get ugly, look no farther than tfd last negotiations.

HCSO focuses on being service oriented more than most agencies. If you have a positive attitude and are loyal to the agency, even when the going gets tough, you will have a great career. The people who walk around boohooing about unions and have a typical Yankee attitude tend to get nowhere and find themselves a bit miserable.

Couple of things here.......first of all you can get a pretty good glimpse of what your dealing with when you look at the fact that this EXACT same string was started on the TPD page of this website. The difference is that on the TPD page (for proof I inculded the link) viewtopic.php?f=92&t=84882
    you will see nothing more than maybe two professional comments saying both are a good place. IE: professionalism.

Now, with that said........the most amazing thing I think I saw was some totally clueless comment on contracting aviation and several other things.
    TPD has always been far above most other departments, especially in FL when it comes to the aviation unit. Even with the budget cuts we still fly at least double the time HCSO and I cannot tell you how many times our helo's are getting called into the county and to assist other agencies. TPD has always prided itself on a fantastic aviation unit and still actively trains pilots and still has at least 3-5 helicopters. I cannot think of 1 time that I have seen HCSO aviation assisting TPD....I'm sure they have and are more than willing too. HCSO is a great place, probably the best SO in the state. Go look on the TPD string and you will see what I am talking about.
    In closing I will say both are good places, just don't believe it when you see some of the stuff posted above. TPD's benefits are in a contract.......they will not end up like PCSO which was run with arrogance.

Tpd is going to have to increase their retirement contributions and healthcare is going up for them as well. Just something more to worry about that luckily with the sheriff's good planning we didnt have cost go up. We were smart enough to come up with our own healthcare plan and locked in rates for two years. Again, we'll see when they go to the bargaining table. As far as tpd air, if you guys are flying that much then it is obvious that you have way to much money to spend. We keep our costs down by flying a few hours and calls only. Reality is about to set in. By the way, go ask your chief how his visit was last year at the so avation facility and see what he says.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast