Story by wbaltv.com

BALTIMORE --

An arrest warrant is being sought that will charge a Baltimore city police officer with attempted murder, the 11 News I-Team has learned.

Police confirm that Officer Patrick Dotson, 27, will face charges for firing his gun at a passing car in Canton after a fight with the car's driver, according to I-Team lead investigative reporter Jayne Miller.

The incident occurred outside a restaurant in Canton on March 8. Patrick Dotson

According to the driver, he was inside the restaurant when he got into a verbal dustup with Dotson. He was unaware Dotson is an officer.

The fight spilled outside. The man told the 11 News I-Team he suffered a black eye and chipped teeth in the fight.

He said that as he drove away from the restaurant, Dotson -- standing between parked cars on Canton Square -- fired his gun and hit the back of the driver's car near the gas cap.

Dotson and another officer, Fontaine Smallwood, were suspended as part of an internal investigation, Miller reported. Smallwood does not face criminal charges.

On Tuesday, City Police Commissioner Fred Bealefeld said the case shows the department can police its own.

"We took it very seriously from the beginning," Bealefeld said. "All of us can't go around talking about people with guns and illegal behavior if we're not going to hold everyone accountable for their activities."

Bealefeld described the investigation into Dotson as swift. Evidence at the scene was recovered the next day.

"In fact, it was investigators who recovered vital crime scene information that helped corroborate the story," the police commissioner said.

Investigators said they believe Dotson used his service weapon that was issued to him by the police department. Bealefeld said Dotson has only been on the force for two years.