Specialized units at SPPD
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Specialized units at SPPD

First and foremost let me say this, I in no way, shape or form want to, have any desire or interest to join the Street Crimes Unit. I did not put in a memo during the last pool nor will I be in any upcoming pools. I am more interested in pursuing other things, but just refering to the SCU because it is a prime example of the non-sense that occurs at the SPPD. Why even bother putting in for a specialized unit if certain individuals are pre-selected? Or that is the way that it seems, someone please correct me if I am wrong. After hearing the names of the "chosen ones" in the last "selection" process I was amazed. SCU is supposed to be the bread and butter 893 arresting go-getters. However, the SCU of today are lightweights. For the few that are decent officers forgive me, but SCU is just not the same SCU that it was. To begin with, you have poor leadership down there and the rest is self-explanitory.

Certain individual(s) in the last pool of candidates were piss-poor street cops that I have personally seen in action on the street, and of all places, in D1! Not stirring the pot, but how do you get into a unit when you are just barely off of your probation period, your TOTAL arrests can be counted on your two hands, and your MO is to NR-08 calls! Not making this up folks! How do the "powers" that be justify their selection? I always thought you had to be a competant street cop first, make drug related arrest if you wanted in on SCU, DUI arrests if you wanted in on the DUI unit, eff with the bum and give open container NTA's if you wanted in on DDT etc.....you get my point. It is just a shame when I see what this department has become.

Note to the officer(s) that I am speaking about; You know who you are, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are pathetic and your work and numbers reflect that. Turn in your little black vest and get back on the streets and learn how to be a police officer. That spot should be filled by a competent officer who knows what he or she is doing. To the chain of command, you should be ashamed of yourselves as well. Not playing the race card here but I am sure that had something to do with the selection process which is total BS.

Re: Specialized units at SPPD

I completely agree. I, also, did not put in for the SCU (after seeing the last few pools of candidates who have gone down there). How can the supervisors down there and the one's watching you over justify taking an officer off the street who can't handle a Domestic Quarrel, and make them figure out how to work dope? Please, someone step up and answer this question. With all the case law which surrounds working dope, how can we expect these new guys to comprehend all the "ins and outs" of this type of work, when they don't even know what probable cause is? Sounds like a liability for the police department.

Cameron and Dirks, this post has nothing to do with either of you. You are both MORE THAN DESERVING of the position. You both have experience and have worked your butts off to get there. As for Vasquez and Singletary, who are you? No one has heard of you, and how have you made a name for yourselves? As your stats reflect, you are not self motivated, and STILL ON PROBATION! As for the "Powers that be," really shameful. With the amount of dangerous work the SCU has, one of them IS going to get hurt if this type of nonsense continues. How can the people making these decisions sleep at night knowing these decisions put officers lives in danger?

I smell HATERS LMAO!!! For all of the ones complaining if you feel so strongly about whos down there why dont you put in for it and try to make a change... thats rught because your lazy and just want to sit back and B*tch!!! I have been here for 15 years and agree SCU is/was a good unit that needs officer willing to and have knowledge in working drugs. I have worked with Singletary and Vasquez and they both seem very very eager to work and learn!!!

HA! Don't lie "haters." I worked with them too, and they are't all that. Even for 1st year officers, they were mediocre at best compared to the rest. There are far more willing and deserving officers than them.

HA! Don't lie "haters." I worked with them too, and they are't all that. Even for 1st year officers, they were mediocre at best compared to the rest. There are far more willing and deserving officers than them.
    Ooopsy. I meant "Aren't." My bad.

Wow you guys amaze me how you bash two new guys because they got selected to go to a unit!! Thats why your police department will never accomplish anything. You guys complain about the admin not giving a darn about us but you guys dont even care about each other. You are bashing two "new" officers under AKA's from your computer at home!?!? If you feel so strongly about them why not approach them and see what they got to say about it. I bet half of you are probably worthless old farts who haven't done anything your career or new guys who are jelous. Give these two a break and if you have anything to say why not approach them? Man its sad being on the outside and looking in at your department. Good luck guys/gals and stay safe!

Singletary and Vazquez were RECOMMENDED by their supervisor (Gilliam) for the position. If you think they are bufoons then you clearly haven't worked with them. They can both talk "street" like pros and always do their jobs. Don't harp on them for something SCU wanted THEM for.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjamin Button
    Singletary and Vazquez were RECOMMENDED by their supervisor (Gilliam) for the position. If you think they are bufoons then you clearly haven't worked with them. They can both talk "street" like pros and always do their jobs. Don't harp on them for something SCU wanted THEM for.
    "RECOMMENDED????" You mean pre-selected - shame on Gilliam. "They can both talk "street" like pros and always do their jobs"......-LOL x 3. Are you kidding me? Singletary? Mr. Buttons, I believe your job description involves you being very observant to what is going on around you, YOU appear to either be the first blind officer ever or "piss-poor" as stated in the first post. The only "talk like a pro" Singletary has done is convince a female victim not to prosecute because it's her fault her boyfriend beat her up. This way a "simple" dometic quarrel would be completed so he could go home on time-now it's the problem of the officer on the next shift. Now that is some quality investigating-CUDO'S to his FTO'S. To whomever has a problem with anyone getting into SCU or any other unit, look at it this way, they are no longer a "cancer" to the streets. They are SCU's problem now, they created the monster, let them deal with it. Happy dope hunting!

Leave the new guys alone. Time will tell. They were only selected to go down there so that Bush has some rookies he can impress with his fast talk. None of the older guys would take his crap.

I feel I have to comment on this one for people in other districts/divisions who don't know XXXXXXXX. I have worked with both of these officers on a lot of calls. These two officers are not whiners, they aren't afraid to work, but they are brand new. They have made and will continue to make rookie mistakes for a while, but we've all been there. I don't think they realized how bad it looks for them to be transferred just weeks off of probation or that they would become the latest poster children for officers' real, often justified anger with the staff's management style. My guess is in 5 to 10 years you will see both XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX will have earned good reputations among the rank and file and their early transfers will be long forgotten. As for the management style at SPPD.............

edited by mod 161 due to related negative slams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast