Consent to search in the I-10 area CRAZINESS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Consent to search in the I-10 area CRAZINESS

At any time that we want to do a consent search we must run it up the Chain of Command to the rank of Captain, BEFORE you ask the driver for consent. And please have all the facts you have gathered to make the request.

ARE YOU SERIOUS CAPTAIN HINGSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You ask for consent to search AFTER you have finished with what you have detained/10-50ed the person for and have released them. Then you ask them if you can have THEIR CONSENT to search the vehicle they are driving. Other wise they feel that they have to allow you to so that they can be released.

2. So to hold them AFTER you have finished with them waiting to see if you can get permission to search from the Captain is UNLAWFUL DETAINMENT, and if any case is made it will be lost and the Department held liable for the unlawful detention.

Furthermore you do not need FACTS to ask the person for consent, no reason, no probable cause, NOTHING. So why do we need facts to ask permission from you? You ask and if they say no you say have a nice day as they go on their way. If they say yes and sign the consent form you are good to go, although they can revoke that consent at anytime.

Get a clue as to Law Enforcement Captain or go back to Forestry. Also please put this in writing so that it will all fall back on you when your unlawful orders are obeyed by some. As far as I am concerned, NO MEMO NO ASKING FOR YOUR PERMISSION! It sure is not in policy to perform this task in such a manner, so are you making policy yourself, or asking officers to act outside policy?

I swear they must perform a frontal lobotomy as a requirement to become a Captain, or they just promote dimwit do-boys to perform their bidding.

Arrow Re: Consent to search in the I-10 area CRAZINESS

This is the Captain's way of keeping officers from doing their job. The Major is just allowing this to go on because he has to keep up Dept of Ag traditions. Why do you think he was chosen for the job same as the Captains all YES men. Made up Rules like this is why NO other law enforcement agency respects us.

Re: Consent to search in the I-10 area CRAZINESS

He is trying to keep you rookies from getting out on that limb. Wake Up Son, just go through the motions and collect that check. For you real police wanna bees, FHP is hiring or have they already rejected you?

Even though you (guest) are trying to start something I will just let you know I am not a rookie been here long enough to see current chain move up. As far as your comment it is not about going out on a limb it is about being respected by other law enforcement agencies and citizens. We are grown men and women and should be treated as if we can make a decision. If we make the wrong choice then do what has to be done. DO NOT keep us from being professional law enforcement like they try to tell us we are in in-service.

Guest what he is saying that HE wants done will get the department in trouble, not keep folks out of trouble. Use you brain and learn the REAL law not the OLD RG LAW.

Since you've seen the current chain move up, maybe you should rethink your tactics and listen to those that pasted you by. They must have done everything right.

What other agencies think, who cares. Their minds have been made up for a long time.

If its so bad, you have other options or do you?

This coming from someone who doesn't work for Ag or is a lifer who really doesn't have a choice waiting for the road guard days to come back. This is their great answer for everything go work for FHP or be happy you have a job. Is it wrong to want to have an enjoyable job like it was just a few years ago. DO NOT tell me it is about this department scared it will lose its administrative search they don't worry about it when they do dog and pony shows at Super Bowls or take the Vacis truck to try and x-ray an animal somewhre.

You have the administrative search rule to look in anything the dept has regulatory authority
    over. You only need the consent to search if you looking for something you don't regulate. Drugs, cash stolen goods or whatever it is you think MIGHT be in the vehicle. Its only a treasure hunt. We are not doing police work unless our normal regulatory search finds otherwise. Can you not get it through your head? Our core mission is not being the Police. You guys cannot be allowed to run wild with your visions of drug task force teams or whatever it is you want to do. It would be the downfall of our department. If you have a legitimate reason to search a vehicle we regulate and they deny you, then get off your lazy self, print up an administrative search warrant, get it signed and execute it. And get off the Capt, he promised me the next Lt. slot.

You are as crazy as the Captain! You both need to get a clue. It's not about wanting to be this or that, it's about wanting to do the job that the LAW allows me to do without being hindered by a Captain that has never made an arrest and would not know how if he had to. You do have the attitude of someone that is bucking for the next Lt. position, it appears the frontal lobotomy has alreay been performed, so you should move to Captain quickly. Are you so dense that you do not realize that his unwritten policy does more to jeapordize the department than an officer asking and getting consent from the person and conducting the search? Consent to search has nothing to do with administrative search, it will not cause any harm or cause it to be lost, you have been listening to the crap for to long. Read and learn instead of just repeating the crap you have been told through the years. If all you want to be is a security guard then how about you go do that and let those of us that want to do what we get paid for be LEOs.

Finally someone who has some sense and understands what is being said and what is at risk. Instead of this be thankful you have a job stuff.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast