5% pay cut coming

5% pay cut coming

Hot off the press -

A powerful legislative money manager said today it may be necessary to impose pay cuts on state employees -- at least, the highest-paid ones -- as Florida deals with a deepening budget crisis.

State Sen. J.D. Alexander, R-Lake Wales, said he doesn't like the idea. But he told Capitol reporters a 5 percent cut might have to be part of the mix in slashing state expenses and finding new revenues.

Senate Minroity Leader Al Lawson, D-Tallahassee, said the Republicans aren't being fair or even realistic about the budget. Lawson said state employees haven't had a pay raise in three years, but that the GOP controlled governor's office and Legislature have made about $12 billion in tax reductions over the last 10 years.

"It's amazing how the Republicans are refusing, with all the tax cuts given to the wealthiest people in Florida, to look at restoring some of those taxes," said Lawson. "Instead, they're looking at pay cuts for the little guy."

Alexander, who heads the Senate budget committee, said nothing has been decided yet. But he said some graduated pay cut -- sparing the lowest-paid workers and hitting the upper pay grades harder -- might become necessary.

Alexander said he didn't favor temporary furloughs of state employees, because that would leave work undone and would mean only a one-time savings.

--Bill Cotterell

Re: 5% pay cut coming

This is only for those making over $100K. We just need to worry about them cutting positions at our level...

If that is the end result, everyone in ABT would be safe. I agree the loss of positions is a real concern

Just another slap in the face by "The Man." No raises in three years, reduced wages, all part of a master plan to enslave the working class. As the gap between the unemployed/minimum wage earner and state employees narrows, the desire to hold on is weakened as well. Who is to blame? "The Man" is nothing more than a steel-toed boot on the throat of the workers!!!!

I'm doing OK, sure the raises would have been nice, but at least I have a job with benefits. I enjoy working here and enjoy the people I work with. All is good, life is actually great.

Not me. Coming to this shiddy job every day drains the soul out of me. It is a wasteland run by turds who suck more than life itself. No raises just makes the never ending pain that is my life complete, working for the top managers here who are demons straight out of the bowels of hell is just icing on the cake. I feel, every single day, like each and every action I take, every single move, and every word I say, is a wasted gesture. I could not feel less appreciated by the public, the governor, and my own agency. I often stand at the entrance to the office, willing myself to turn around, turn in any direction, any at all, and walk away from ABT, and take on a new job. Any job. One that doesn't involve the constant and unending humiliation of state employment. I just stand there, willing myself to have hope for a better tomorrow. Hope fades, that daily, constant migraine that starts at the base of my neck and moves slightly forward by the minute begins, and I place my key in the lock and turn it. So begins a new day at ABT.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
    Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
    Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
    Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
    Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
    Bob Slydell: Eight?
    Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Later that day:
    You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
    Bob Slydell: Great.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
    Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Still later:
    Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
    Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
    Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

I could go on with the comparisons, but i think you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Not me. Coming to this shiddy job every day drains the soul out of me. It is a wasteland run by turds who suck more than life itself. No raises just makes the never ending pain that is my life complete, working for the top managers here who are demons straight out of the bowels of hell is just icing on the cake. I feel, every single day, like each and every action I take, every single move, and every word I say, is a wasted gesture. I could not feel less appreciated by the public, the governor, and my own agency. I often stand at the entrance to the office, willing myself to turn around, turn in any direction, any at all, and walk away from ABT, and take on a new job. Any job. One that doesn't involve the constant and unending humiliation of state employment. I just stand there, willing myself to have hope for a better tomorrow. Hope fades, that daily, constant migraine that starts at the base of my neck and moves slightly forward by the minute begins, and I place my key in the lock and turn it. So begins a new day at ABT.
    I feel your pain and understand. I can help you as others helped me. The problem lies in your first sentence. You come to work every day. Cut back to what I refer to as "maintenance level" and your whole outlook will improve. About 20 hours a week is a good place to start. Make small adjustments each week until you have found your comfort zone. The headaches will subside. No thanks necessary. I am happy to help. Good Luck.

Make this job work for you...