FOP to Members: Work for FREE! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: FOP to Members: Work for FREE!

Yeah the UTD PRES might have some cajones but Howie got us T Shirts. And don't forget that. Besides the sup looked like he was getting annoyed. You never know what this new sup might do.Howie did the right thing by cutting and running. It may not be the macho thing to do but it's a safer road to travel than to piss of the sup. Way to go Howie. I give you credit for high tailing it out of there. You can live to fight another day. Even if it is in a skirt.

I can't believe the vote passed, you do realize that the district can't force us to take the three days off. It's against Labor laws , that's why we voted on it. If the district really wanted to do it they would have done it off the get go and forced everyone to take three days off. We just impowered them. Silly Rabbit Tricks are for kids. And with the issue of lay -offs, the district would have never touched us. We are already losing officers by the truck loads, and they would not want that fight on their hands again. Remember we are law enforcement, and what price can you really put on an innocent childs life? They would never lay officers off. Why didnt' we take this issue to the media? I can guarantee you people would be shocked that the district was forcing officers to take days off leaving their children alone, forced to fight for themselves. Now in these economic times we are being forced to take a reduction in pay. And I don't believe the 10% percent rumor the boards trying to throw around, I've been here to long. I'll believe it when I see it.

Now: You stay home three days. They don't pay you.

Later: You don't have to work any extra days. They pay you three days pay.

You are basically getting three extra days vacation this year, becuase they are paying you for the three days you are taking off .....next December.What did you lose? Granted, you will not get the money right now, but you are still getting the money.

The 10% raise is nothing to brag about, but during these times, who can complain? If you make $60,000 a year with OT, then you are still getting a $6,000 raise. You are basically getting 10% of everything you make, becuase your OT rate goes up 10%. If you made $30 an hour, you now will make $33 an hour.

Is a 10% great! Of course not. Do we still need alot of work in that category? I think everyone knows we do. But remember, if we do get 10% during these times where people are unsure if they will have a job next week, then that's nothing to sneeze at. And also remember, we still might get something for 2008-2009 and we will most certainly get something for 2009-2010.

So in short, a 10% raise for a low paid department is not something that we should plan a parade for, but at the same time, an extra $500 a month ($6000 / 12 months) is something you will notice in your paychecks. $500 pays for your electric bill and phone bill right? That's $500 you can save, contribute to your 401K or spend on your family.

If the FOP is able to get a 10% raise, an extra 2.5 percent for 15% longevity and first right of refusal to make sure no other cop works any of our off duties...EVER, the least they deserve is a thank you.

I think 10% for someone making $60,000 is good, but 10% of someone making $35,000 is garbage. I'm not going to debate that this is a horrible economic time because that is a fact, but why cant the % be split to where officers in the younger bracket get higher % so that the actual raise is equal? Last raise the Sgt's got the majority now this raise the newer officers get the shaft again. The % should be 15% for officers under 10 years and 7% for officers over 10 years. Anyway I am happy with the work the FOP is doing. We should be trying to keep the newer officers around.

u got that right!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosovo
    I think 10% for someone making $60,000 is good, but 10% of someone making $35,000 is garbage. I'm not going to debate that this is a horrible economic time because that is a fact, but why cant the % be split to where officers in the younger bracket get higher % so that the actual raise is equal? Last raise the Sgt's got the majority now this raise the newer officers get the shaft again. The % should be 15% for officers under 10 years and 7% for officers over 10 years. Anyway I am happy with the work the FOP is doing. We should be trying to keep the newer officers around.

10% of your salary is equal for everyone. I'm sorry if you make $35,000. You don't punish people because they have worked longer than you. If anything, reward those that have been here through thick and thin. Give the senior officers 15% and the rooks 5%. Not fair right? Yup, 10% sounds fair. Also remember, while you think a sergeant here is rich, most of them don't make more than $48,000. You think they dont deserve a raise?

Stop being a *****.

Okay, I agree you're right. 10% for everybody. When does this take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    10% of your salary is equal for everyone. I'm sorry if you make $35,000. You don't punish people because they have worked longer than you. If anything, reward those that have been here through thick and thin. Give the senior officers 15% and the rooks 5%. Not fair right? Yup, 10% sounds fair. Also remember, while you think a sergeant here is rich, most of them don't make more than $48,000. You think they dont deserve a raise?

Stop being a *****.
    Very well said. I wish I could add something to it but all issues have been covered. :mrgreen:

I agree. All issues have been covered. Now that this one is in the bank lets work on our next raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

Stop being a *****.

HAHA I think we all can agree that the newer officers are the ones that keep this department running. The majority of the SENIOR officers are lazy. I did not say that SGT.'s here are rich; however I know a couple that sit under trees all day and do not 15 with anyone. They are scared! Our raises should be performance based.
    I think u need to stop and think who the ***** is!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast