PBA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBA

PBA

There is alot of stuff going on with the City right now. These witch hunts, investigations where IAB has "results "oriented outcomes that have been pre-determined is getting out of hand.

Someone needs to stop the IAB and Staff from these types of biased investigations. We need the PBA Board of Directors to step up and be strong and communicate with the members what they intend to do to stop this.

Will this environment continue? Will the PBA intervene on these horrible tactics the staff is doing?
    Will the PBA staff tell the troops that they are aware of the problem and then any steps they plan to stop the TPD staff from what they are doing.

It is getting bad.

You could be next.

Not only we will not be getting money next contract, but we are losing our rights every month around here.

PBA, help! and Get in the Game! Don't be afraid of Sinister Steve, Tarzan-Jane or Flak of Mac. Stop them!!!

Re: PBA

The PBA is a joke. When is everyone going to realize the truth!!!! The PBA are cops on TPD's payroll and are paid by the city of Tampa so they are at the mercy of the brass like everyone else. Nothing will change for the better till we get a union that has no ties to that structure. Union reps that specialize in true representation. nothing will change till that takes place.

PBA just go away.

How about this?

-Dont steal money from the city.
    -Dont let your subordinates come to work tanked.
    -Dont lie
    -Dont chase cars you shouldn't chase.
    -Do what you are told by your supervisors.
    -Dont miss court because you can't figure out how to check your work queue even though we've had it for almost 2 years now.
    -Dont get drunk and commit crimes off duty

If you follow the above advice, your chance of being the target of one of these so called "witch hunts" is slim to none.

I for one am glad our PBA is being more open when it comes to publishing things like arbitrations and meeting minutes, but reading some of them concerns me. We waste too much of our money taking petty cases or cases that do not appear winnable to arbitration, and we lose. Why? I applaud Chip DeBlock and Mike Flynn for having the fortitude to go against the grain and vote against taking Theresa Dennis' case to arbitration. If stealing from the city wasn't bad enough, now by dues money gets to go toward her defense.

If someone pays for representation, they should get it although you may not agree. Those dues you speak of where paid by those people too, often paid for many years. Do they get a refund now you deemed them a waste of theirs and your dues money?

Only problem I have with the PBA lately is they appear weak on representation during the investigation, complaint review boards, and disciplinary hearings, but then want to come on strong with an arbitration vote. Get out in front and help people saves their jobs in the first place!

And yes, I know there are cases with people who deserve what they got, but there are alot of cases that are twisted to fit the outcome, which have been predertimed from the round table. People deserve a fair shake.

Ok DJ, whatever you say.

The only thing that really matters is arbitration. The city can do whatever they want even if the CRB sides with the officer or some people in the initial steps of the grievance process side with the officer. Past arbitrations have also shown that the decision of the CRB doesn't necessarily decide the outcome of the arbitration. A CRB is simply a kangaroo court.

I have a problem with some of the cases we have taken to arbitration. For example, a detective is ordered to place evidence into property and he admittedly doesn't do it. He gets minor discipline, yet the PBA decided to spend thousands in an arbitration case which was lost before it even began. WHY???

WHY? because we are still on the buddy system! If the PBA board wasnt corrupt at election, they are now!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The PBA is a joke. When is everyone going to realize the truth!!!! The PBA are cops on TPD's payroll and are paid by the city of Tampa so they are at the mercy of the brass like everyone else. Nothing will change for the better till we get a union that has no ties to that structure. Union reps that specialize in true representation. nothing will change till that takes place.

PBA just go away.
    Say what you want but Chip has a proven record of standing against the city.

How about this?

-Dont steal money from the city.
    -Dont let your subordinates come to work tanked.
    -Dont lie
    -Dont chase cars you shouldn't chase.
    -Do what you are told by your supervisors.
    -Dont miss court because you can't figure out how to check your work queue even though we've had it for almost 2 years now.
    -Dont get drunk and commit crimes off duty

If you follow the above advice, your chance of being the target of one of these so called "witch hunts" is slim to none.

You forgot banging a few crack whores on duty.

I swear, this s--- ain't real.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

There is alot of stuff going on with the City right now. These witch hunts, investigations where IAB has "results "oriented outcomes that have been pre-determined is getting out of hand.

Someone needs to stop the IAB and Staff from these types of biased investigations. We need the PBA Board of Directors to step up and be strong and communicate with the members what they intend to do to stop this.

Will this environment continue? Will the PBA intervene on these horrible tactics the staff is doing?
    Will the PBA staff tell the troops that they are aware of the problem and then any steps they plan to stop the TPD staff from what they are doing.

It is getting bad.

You could be next.

Not only we will not be getting money next contract, but we are losing our rights every month around here.

PBA, help! and Get in the Game! Don't be afraid of Sinister Steve, Tarzan-Jane or Flak of Mac. Stop them!!!

PBA just go away.

Greetings,

I'd like to address the two posts copied above.

In reference to the first one, we (the PBA) take our position of representing you very seriously. Issues mentioned in the post are known to your Executive Board and we have been working on them (especially Greg). There are many things done on a daily basis and interactions the PBA makes on behalf of officers that most will never know about for obvious reasons. Knowing when to make an initial stand and when to be reactionary are constant decisions being made by your President, Executive Board and Board of Directors usually on the sound advice of our attorney. The number of grievances and arbitrations we've been involved with as of late is no secret and I assure you that we're hard at work. In short, we are and have been intervening. Our next scheduled Board Meeting is next Wednesday (03/25/09), at 1400 hours, in the Pension Office Conference Room. If you can't make the meeting, no problem, go online to read the minutes (http://www.tampapba.org). If anyone feels there is a problem we are not aware of, please contact the PBA office (813-228-8900) and make us aware of it.

In reference to the second post, I think it's obvious to everyone that in order for us to be TPD cops and represent you, we must be on the payroll. Hardly a conflict of interest even though your dues/hours pay for most of our salaries. As for our positions, we're protected by a Labor Management Agreement just like you are. As for saying nothing will change, I think we've already proven otherwise in the short time we've been in office. Honestly, you don't need an adversarial relationship in order to make huge accomplishments. In fact, I believe it's just the opposite for the most part. For instance, Rick Cochran and I have had huge battles with the City in the past (arguably career ending) and there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that we're going to do what we believe is the right thing no matter what the cost...but, like the other members of your PBA board, we're going to be nice and professional about doing business and roll our sleeves up and get dirty when we have to. There's nothing wrong with your PBA getting along with staff members and enjoying good relationships both in and outside the 10th floor conference room when circumstances permit. Just ask some of the officers we've had to represent there.

Thanks for your support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast