S.A.O. Accountability Detective wanted
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

S.A.O. Accountability Detective wanted

New Deputy/Detective position(s) needed:

Position: The SAO Detective(s)

Job description: Track ALL the original charges filed by EVERY Deputy/Detective that works for HCSO. Publish how many of the ORIGINAL charges are filed by the SAO. Publish how many charges are dropped by the SAO. Publish how many charges the SAO allow to be pled to a lesser charge. Publish which SA/ASA allows the original charges to be dropped, or pled to a lesser charge. Publish these statistics on every SA/ASA and every Deputy/Detective.

For example: (Example only!) In Sept. 2009 673 felony charges were filed by HCSO personal. 179 of these original felony charges were prosecuted by the SAO. 332 of these original felony charges were pled to a lesser offense. 162 of these original felony charges were dropped.
    The listed reasons by the SAO why these charges were pled to a lesser charge are as follows “…………….”
    The listed reasons by the SAO for the dropped charges are as follows “ ……………”
    ASA John Doe dropped 67 % of his original assigned felony charges, and pled 22% of his original assigned felony charge, to a lesser offense.
    Etc., etc.

In addition, the ASA stats for successful prosecution would only included prosecution of the ORIGINAL charges filed, whether the ASA got a conviction or not. Any charges dropped or pled to a lesser offense, would count against each ASA’s percentage of prosecution (both misdemeanor and felony).

The title “SAO Detective” could also be the “SAO Accountability Detective” , or the “SAO/Deputy Accountability Detective”, or the “Public’s Right To Know Detective”, or something similar.

If this Detective’s findings were published weekly/monthly/quarterly during a press conference, how long do think it would take to get more responsible prosecutions in Hillsborough County? How long until other agencies follow the lead of HCSO? After all, our agency is built upon Leadership and Ethics right? I know that HCSO would gain enormous Nationwide publicity for Leadership and Ethical operation.

Any suggested improvements/constructive criticism to this program are welcome.

Re: S.A.O. Accountability Detective wanted

Be careful for what you wish for. I sure would hate for Ober's Office to start publicizing why cases are dropped. You may just find out that many, not all, are dropped because of reports and/or CRA's that were written poorly or the deputy just does not understand Florida State Law or the deputy followed the letter of the law and did not take into account any case law.

First, personally I figure it this way. I learned many, many, moons ago to not worry about things I could'nt control. Do the job to the best of your ability and complete your reports as acurately as possible. Let the lawyers, judges and jury worry about if the bad guy or gal is guilty or not. That aint our job as a LEO. We report the facts as we know them to be at the time we initiate our report. Simple as that.

Second, don't take nothing personal when it comes to the SAO and defense attorneys in regards to your cases. Now take into account that I'm just a zone hopper and not a detective but I get subpeona's all the time where I can't remember the suspects name that is listed. It's not that I don't care it's just that I have learned over the years not to let this job consume me. There is life outside of being a LEO. I guess my time in the military taught me to not stress over many things. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

P.S. Besides there can be no new detective positions with the economy the way it is and the democrats need to stimulate the economy with useless ideas. :wink: Obama in 2012...... NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Be careful for what you wish for. I sure would hate for Ober's Office to start publicizing why cases are dropped. You may just find out that many, not all, are dropped because of reports and/or CRA's that were written poorly or the deputy just does not understand Florida State Law or the deputy followed the letter of the law and did not take into account any case law.
    Bring it!
    If a case of mine is dropped, I would love to hear what I can do to make the case stick next time, and make all of my cases better! However, with all the senior deputies and detectives that I hear with the same gripe (a majority of their cases being dropped or pled to), I doubt that poor reports are the problem.
    Also the next time I have a Murder, or even a domestic battery case, and I use the "take into account case law" excuse, for not filing charges, I will be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Bring it!
    If a case of mine is dropped, I would love to hear what I can do to make the case stick next time, and make all of my cases better! However, with all the senior deputies and detectives that I hear with the same gripe (a majority of their cases being dropped or pled to), I doubt that poor reports are the problem.
    Also the next time I have a Murder, or even a domestic battery case, and I use the "take into account case law" excuse, for not filing charges, I will be out of a job.

To bad there are not more out there like you. But I hate to say it but I have seen some of these reports and CRA's first hand.

I'm not sticking up for Ober's Office. All I am saying is that we are a very big agency and also make mistakes. Take the time one day/night and go to the your district's desk and read the reports that have been turned in. It will not take you very long to find reports that make no sense, reports that are titled wrong and even CRA's that have the wrong charge listed and/or the wrong State Statue.

Then ask a detective if they have ever had to write a supplement and/or add a charge at booking because the deputy made a mistake and the supervisor did not catch it.

You may be surprised.

[quote=Average Joe]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":1065k65h
    Bring it!

To bad there are not more out there like you. But I hate to say it but I have seen some of these reports and CRA's first hand.

I'm not sticking up for Ober's Office. All I am saying is that we are a very big agency and also make mistakes. Take the time one day/night and go to the your district's desk and read the reports that have been turned in. It will not take you very long to find reports that make no sense, reports that are titled wrong and even CRA's that have the wrong charge listed and/or the wrong State Statue.

Then ask a detective if they have ever had to write a supplement and/or add a charge at booking because the deputy made a mistake and the supervisor did not catch it.

You may be surprised.[/quote:1065k65h]

Average Joe's gotta point dude. I've read'em myself sitin' there at the desk. Many a report where I had to scratch my head and wonder why the deputy did'nt put this or that in the report then wondering why a "supervisor" would sign it.

Or after reading a report and seeing the supervisor sent the report to the detectives when in fact there clearly was more than enough PC to make an arrest, but nope.......just pass it onto someone else.

I do agree about one thing though, the SAO could do a better job of being tough on the same terds that commit crime after crime after crime. UM HELLO....the slaps on the wrist are not working Mcfly! The only way these terds get any time is if the Feds pick up the case, otherwise they have no fear that anything will happen to them during their first 30 arrests. Also, the media does not care about this, they only sensationalize it when a thug complains that he was treated bad by law enforcement. Then the office does it's usual knee jerk reaction and prematurely punishes this Leo in the media and will afford the Leo no rights, unlike the thugs who get pampered throughout the current criminal justice system thats in effect in hillsborough county. Lets not even mention how absurd the juvenile system is....OMG.....if your under 18 and not a axe murderer, hah, it's brownies and milk for you until you rack up at least 25-50 charges.

[quote=The Nitely Blog][quote="Average Joe":qfc94uit]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":qfc94uit
    Bring it!

You may be surprised.[/quote:qfc94uit]

Average Joe's gotta point dude. I've read'em myself sitin' there at the desk. Many a report where I had to scratch my head and wonder why the deputy did'nt put this or that in the report then wondering why a "supervisor" would sign it.[/quote:qfc94uit]

I agree with Average Joe also. That’s why I suggested that the title of this position could be “SAO/Deputy Accountability Detective”.

It would be GREAT for the Deputies/Detectives to finally learn what the are (according to the SAO) doing wrong, or leaving out. This would stop the YEARS of wondering why 10% or less of ORIGINAL charges are filed by the SAO.

I have no fear of improving my game. And, I would think that our upper brass should DEMAND that we improve our game. Then, after we correct whatever the SAO states is wrong with our reports, then the SAO would have NO MORE EXCUSES.

But Yes, We should be held accountable too!

If this detective position were created, Deputies/Detectives could learn so much. The reason/goal for this position is not to bad mouth the SAO. The reason/goal of this program should be to efficiently prosecute cases. No matter who is embarrassed by it. No matter who’s feet are held to the fire.

Give this position 3 years and see how much more efficient prosecution would be. See how many more criminals are off the street.

As far as the media not caring…………………. If unit 100 (or other high brass) announced a press conference, the media will be there. If he explained during the press conference the need for accountability on both parts (HCSO and SAO), and if he begged the media to be a big part of it, holding both agencies accountable, the media would jump all over it. Every 3 months a new “ACCOUNTABILITY” press conference. The media could then brag about how they are making sure justice is being served in Hillsborough County.

If all this happened, I would bet my pay check that other agencies and media across the country would mimic this program.

Great idea guys/gals.......however there is already a Detective doing that very thing. He started in December. For now he is not publishing the stats you mentioned but there is tracking of cases going on with Habitual Offenders provided you bring them to his attention.

Go on the HCSO Intranet and click on the Research and Development link. On the next page that comes up scroll down till you find the SAO Top Offender Watch and click the link. You will see the listing for Detective Harrison Bashner with contact numbers. He has set up a tracking form for offenders with who the ASA is and his dates of contact. If you have a question on a case and why so many charges were dropped call him and he will work to find out for you. Next time give him the names after the perp is arrested so he can immediately start working to bring this offender more attention from the SAO.

His title is HCSO SAO Liaison Detective. His job is to bird dog the bad offenders and cases through the prosecution to help the SAO in anyway possible so cases do not drop through the cracks. Detective Bashner just got started in the position so he ready for any work you care to send his way. Remember what Average Joe said, "Be prepared for the truth" when Detective Bashner finds out why a charge(s) were dismissed. The Sheriff and Chief have given you a resource so call him up and explore your case. Remember the position is just beginning so give it time to develop. Be thankful that our Office is progressive and trying to explore many new avenues to "heat things up".

You had a great idea, however, the ILP Committee already beat you to it in getting it implemented.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast