zones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zones

zones

Why don't sgt's these days let officers pick there zones come shift change. The last few squads I have been on the sgt simply tells the ofc's the zones they will be in. Back in the day, a good sgt would go down the roster, senior guy picks first and so on. There are only a few sgt's who still do this based on my experience, but it should continue. I thought it was actually some how related to a contract issue.

Just a hint to you new sgt's who don't remember the good old days.

Re: zones

AWWWW are you a lazy MPO who didn't get the cushy slow zone in your area? Are you upset becuase now you have to do some work? Quityer*****in and do your job like most of the rest of us. We are lucky to have jobs right now, and we get paid well to our jobs. :cop:

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Police
    AWWWW are you a lazy MPO who didn't get the cushy slow zone in your area? Are you upset becuase now you have to do some work? Quityer*****in and do your job like most of the rest of us. We are lucky to have jobs right now, and we get paid well to our jobs. :cop:
    I think the logical reason is that many supervisors were not around during the "good ol' days." Or you cn say they were not around ten years ago, take your pick. Just becaue they have never done it, doesn't mean they can't supervise those who are actually doing it. That i becoming the norm around here.

the only way to solve this problem is specific language in the contract. without question zones should be assigned based on seniority. but the city is doing everything possible to circumvent the intended meaning and intent of our contract. remember folks our pay is very important, but there is a lot more things that need to be negotiated on this next contract. HMMMMMMMMMM. gasparilla ring a bell. should be overtime for all cops working on their day off.

Post Re: zones

I think zones should be earned by your work ethic. We have a job to complete and we have some very lazy people who hide behind thier hire date to avoid work. Your hire date gets you MPO for free, first vacation choice, a bigger longevity, shift bid priority, and more vacation hours. It should not get you a closet to hide in. The sgt is responsible for the squad and should be able to assign people where he wants them based on thier skill, work ethic or lack of.

Sounds like the reply is a very sensible resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MPO
    I think zones should be earned by your work ethic. We have a job to complete and we have some very lazy people who hide behind thier hire date to avoid work. Your hire date gets you MPO for free, first vacation choice, a bigger longevity, shift bid priority, and more vacation hours. It should not get you a closet to hide in. The sgt is responsible for the squad and should be able to assign people where he wants them based on thier skill, work ethic or lack of.

Very well stated, and exactly right. :cop:

The Sergeant I have this year and last, both had zone selection based on senority. Yes the Sergeant is responsible for the squad, if he/she chooses to go by senority, height or pre-set radio buttons, it's their decsion. And in a month or 10 if they feel someone is not preforming, causing the mission to suffer, of course he/she can adjust for fire as required.

Quote Originally Posted by D2 Patrol
    The Sergeant I have this year and last, both had zone selection based on senority. Yes the Sergeant is responsible for the squad, if he/she chooses to go by senority, height or pre-set radio buttons, it's their decsion. And in a month or 10 if they feel someone is not preforming, causing the mission to suffer, of course he/she can adjust for fire as required.
    That is not accurate. From your contract:

11.3 Work Assignments. When the tasks to be performed will not be
    affected, classification seniority shall be used to determine work assignments
    for patrol officers within a uniform district squad. Seniority shall not be a consideration
    when training is a factor in work assignments unless skill, performance,
    and training are equal. This process shall not be unreasonably denied.

Obviously that gives supervisors some wiggle room but to suggest sergeants have the right to arbitrarily assign zones however they like is, in my opinion, wrong. My understanding is that a recent arbitration lost by the PBA has the city flexing its muscles in this area, but to be honest I don't know the details.

And this is why the language in our contract needs to change. This is not the only issue with our contract. Being buddies with the SGT shouldn't give you a zone preference. From what I read from the above poster it's pretty straightforward that unless you have some special skill needed for a particular zone then zone assignment shall be done by seniority. Unfortunately the city and/or arbitraitor sees some wiggle room. Once again, change the language so their is no mistake as to the meaning of the section. All the protected slots this year are all bullshit and that also needs to be rewritten. These are the types of fights we need to take to arbitration. The city won't be able to justify their position. The union can't simply tell the members that the city will not agree to an amendment of the language. This current administration has taken every advantage to exploit loopholes in the language of the contract. Don't get mad at staff. Change the contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast