Circuit 20 lost 7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Circuit 20 lost 7

We were told more are to be cut tomorrow.

Re: Circuit 20 lost 7

What a horrible time for those you are let go. I hope they find a better state and or agency to work for. The state of florida (legislators)are the ones to blame. They are cowards and could have saved our budget by increasing revenues (cigarette tax increase,1 to 2 cent penny tax increase)Floridians would not have felt this increase in their pockets. Now, public safety and staff morale will sink to an all time low. We blame PBA and our Administartion but the real culprits are the state legislators. They signed off on this.I will vote these sorry bunch cowards out of office. I hope all state employees and their family,friends do likewise.Ivan

This is my second post... I Whole heartedly agree. It was out legislature that failed us.

While the Department's policy could have helped the decision to send us ultimatly falls on legislators. Legislators voted down partly lines. You can goto both the State Senate and State House of Reps website and see how you specific Legislator voted.

I am a very non-partisan person. I believe in a balanced budget. Where I part is I also believe in taking care of your people. Having said that I blame my job loss on the Florida Republican Party. They voted down their party lines. (Mind you I often vote republican). They decided not to tax cigarrettes. The same people that smoke are often the same ones burdening the medical system. The same ones asking for government assistance. Lets place some of that liablity on their shoulders. Lets save 88 people, people, from losing their home, not paying their bills, causing family distress, and become jaded toward public service.

So, here is the problem: WE, being state employees, DO NOT VOTE. THEY, people that are elected, KNOW IT.

Here is the solution, get active, let them know we are exercising out collective voice. There is a gathering March 10, 2009, I belive, in Tallahassee I challenge you to go (whether you like the organizer or not...). Not just for yourself, but for others. Make them know we are here. Resist the urge to be a nay sayer, a problem finder, a poison and DO SOMETHING. I don't have a job. I am going to take a day (from my new job I don't have yet) and go. It is the right this to do. It is the only thing we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by I lost my job
    This is my second post... I Whole heartedly agree. It was out legislature that failed us.

While the Department's policy could have helped the decision to send us ultimatly falls on legislators. Legislators voted down partly lines. You can goto both the State Senate and State House of Reps website and see how you specific Legislator voted.

I am a very non-partisan person. I believe in a balanced budget. Where I part is I also believe in taking care of your people. Having said that I blame my job loss on the Florida Republican Party. They voted down their party lines. (Mind you I often vote republican). They decided not to tax cigarrettes. The same people that smoke are often the same ones burdening the medical system. The same ones asking for government assistance. Lets place some of that liablity on their shoulders. Lets save 88 people, people, from losing their home, not paying their bills, causing family distress, and become jaded toward public service.

So, here is the problem: WE, being state employees, DO NOT VOTE. THEY, people that are elected, KNOW IT.

Here is the solution, get active, let them know we are exercising out collective voice. There is a gathering March 10, 2009, I belive, in Tallahassee I challenge you to go (whether you like the organizer or not...). Not just for yourself, but for others. Make them know we are here. Resist the urge to be a nay sayer, a problem finder, a poison and DO SOMETHING. I don't have a job. I am going to take a day (from my new job I don't have yet) and go. It is the right this to do. It is the only thing we can do.
    The problem isnt we dont vote - the problem is except in a few pockets there arent enough of us to vote them out and they are scared almost any raise in taxes will make the voters boot them out.

OK, I could go for that... However, if they see people are active enough to get involved in organized political activity, and generate some press, they want you to leave them alone... Their concern is a small, loud, active, group can have a large impact on other votes. For example, teachers are a large block of employees funded by general revenue. However, their voice is even larger. They understand the importance of making noise.

Something that really stuck in my head this morning was one of the press clips (this was before I was let go...). It was an article quoting Governor Crist's statement that Floridian understand this must be done, just look at the lack of protesters. Well, elected official, I check the senate proposal and it didn't have CPO job in there... Who new we should be out rallying for our jobs... The legislature certainly didn't give us any notice...

I guess what I am getting at is there are cuts coming. It is known, it is likely. Now is the time to plan to fight them. It is important to help those that are in the same profession as you. I think where some people become stuck and disinterested is, they'll only take x number of people's jobs and I am safe. The best I can say to someone who thinks that way is, the more benefits you fight for the more you will likely get. If you allow positions to be erroded away you are only allowing your base of willing people fighting for those same benefits to be reduced.

Fixed some stuff for those that care...
    OK, I could go for that... However, if they see people are active enough to get involved in organized political activity, and generate some press, they want you to leave them alone... Their concern is a small, loud, active, group can have a large impact on other votes. For example, teachers are a large block of employees funded by general revenue. However, their voice is even larger. They understand the importance of making noise.

Something that really stuck in my head this morning was one of the press clips (this was before I was let go...). It was an article quoting Governor Crist's statement that Floridians understand this must be done, just look at the lack of protesters. Well, elected official, I checked the senate budget proposal and it didn't have any specifics regarding CPO jobs in there... Who knew we should be out rallying for our jobs...? The legislature certainly didn't give us any notice...

I guess what I am getting at is: there are cuts coming. It is known, it is likely, it is a real possibility. Now is the time to plan to fight them. It is important to help those that are in the same profession as you. I think where some people become stuck and disinterested is, they'll only take x number of people's jobs and I am safe. The best I can say to someone who thinks that way is, the more benefits you fight for the more you will likely get. If you allow positions to be erroded away you are only allowing your base of willing people fighting for those same benefits to be reduced.

It doesn't matter whether you vote or not. These politicians got elected by those who voted. What changes are you expecting? We can all vote and still get screwed. I doesn't matter. It's about the money and it always will be. Governments and corporations do not care about people, they care about the money. When you have an economy based on Mickey Mouse, what do you expect? Florida's economy is not diversified enough to sustain itself in bad times. It's sad to see what DOC has become.

Wondering why this is happening....every single day (particularly in the afternoon) there are recruitment ads on FOX-4 (Channel 36 Ft. Myers/Cape Coral) for the Florida Dept. of Corrections....WHY IS MONEY BEING SPENT ON ADVERTISING?????? Something is VERY WRONG!!!!!! Has anyone contacted the media???? I'd start with the above named station...and ask some questions. The general public needs to know what's going on. That means EVERYONE! Think about it...public safety is jeopardized with layoffs...no way - no how, are the remaining officers PHYSICALLY ABLE to monitor ever increasing caseloads. Hell! Look at the Lee County daily arrests! (And folks, that's just LEE COUNTY!!!!) I'm disgusted with the travesty that has occurred.

And just so you know...ALL of the officers in Circuit 20 are THEEE BEST! XXXXOOOO

The real problem with letting probationary officers go is that it hits offices with high turnover harder. Nice quiet offices with a minimum of sturm un drang have NO turnover therefore no one on probation ergo NO layoffs.

AND.... offices that are downright poisonous to work in, have low morale, high discontent with concomitant high turnover, worthless sups, crybaby support staff, like that place where the Red Sox conned them out of yet another high priced stadium, continue to get cut. As recently as last Monday we were assured C20 had the highest offender to officer numbers in the ENTIRE state and NO WAY would the PTB cut any more officers here. And yet....

So about Tuesday you in the outer offices ( watch out Naples) will hear again for the umteenth time Circuit MUST balance caseloads within the Circuit cause Tampa says so AND therefore the following officers XXX and XXX and maybe XXX will be transfered to ... well if you're a Sox fan you might not care too much.

For those who lost P&P jobs in to Lee county SO is hiring jail dep. pay more better benifits! Don't have to worry about losing your job plenty of shitbags in fort myers to keep jail busy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast