Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Next Year C.O.L.A. 2.5%

Source: Tampa Tribune
    http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jan...es/news-metro/
    Mayor Caps Cost-Of-Living Increases
    By CHRISTIAN M. WADE
    cwade@tampatrib.com
    Published: January 6, 2009

TAMPA - With rising payroll costs creating record budget shortfalls, Mayor Pam Iorio's administration has capped cost-of-living increases for city workers and firefighters.

Next year, the city will be offering no higher than a 2.5 percent cost-of-living increase for municipal employees, regardless of what their unions are seeking.

"Because of budget constraints, we have to reduce cost-of-living increases," Kimberly Crum, the city's human resources director, said.
    Crum said the limits will apply to all city employees and would not affect merit increases, health coverage and other benefits that are negotiated under contractual agreements.

Iorio said recently that the city faces a projected $35 million shortfall next year.

The city is in the midst of contract negotiations with the Amalgamated Transit Union, representing about 2,000 blue-collar, technical and clerical workers, and the union that represents firefighters. Both are seeking pay and cost-of-living increases. In November, the ATU declared an impasse and requested a special magistrate to mediate the talks.

Re: Next Year C.O.L.A. 2.5%

Guess the FD should have taken the 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Guess the FD should have taken the 3%.
    The fire dept was never offered 3%. General employees were offered 3.5%

Whatever we do get will just end up going towards the increased pension rate that will hit us in Oct 2009.

My question to you? Is that good or bad?

In this economy, keeping your job and getting a raise is good! I think most people expected this next contract was going to be more about no cost perks (more vacation, etc) than a big COLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    In this economy, keeping your job and getting a raise is good! I think most people expected this next contract was going to be more about no cost perks (more vacation, etc) than a big COLA.
    NOT ME-- I WAS EXPECTING AT LEAST 3-3-3

I'll be voting NO!!! When the economy was on fire did we get a 20/20/20? Absolutely not. Inflation is running at 5.8%.

I am excited to see that there is someone out there so stupid that he is willing to vote no before we even get anywhere close to the city's table. I also like that someone is indignant about the amount of money that might be offered when every economist and politician on both sides of the asile is saying its going to get worse not better. I can only assume that you come from a long line of family that has never held down work in the private sector and is oblivious to what the majority of people are going through right this minute. The fact you have a job and there's really not any talk about downsizing the police department is a blessing, and we should all thank God for that.

Its funny that I bet if they asked Mr. I'm voting no, if a large increase meant laying off some junior Officers, I just have to bet someone that self centered would vote for that. Whatever happened to doing this job because you were proud of your service ? Posts like his (or hers) on a public website is what will cause the citizens aka tax payers to rise up against us and call the mayors office (by the way shes electcted by these people) and demand we aren't offered what we do deserve.

I have friends that work at no less then a dozen other agencies in this area, and you know what ? I don't even discuss money with them because there is no comparison and frankly I dont want to embarrass them. Maybe "I'm voting no" should start living within his means or at the very least just wait to see what the city offers us. Dont be stupid, Leo Affairs is no place for this discussion in this charged ecomonic Atmosphere.

SAD

Well on the flip side the city already laid it out on the table what they are going to give us. I posted a while ago about how the city in my opinion, strategically lined up all the contracts at once to make them have an advantage. I agree we need to be real with the economic situation but I think we should also do the reseearch to see what is true and not about the city funds. I have seen a lot of layoffs but no real projects cut from the city budget. Now is the time to look for other avenues in our contracts for improvements that don't have a huge financial impact. Also the gov't is saying things should start turning around in two years and our contract is for three. Let's stand by the union to do the correct research and guide us in our best interests. This will be the first time they really will show us what they are made of under this new PBA. We need to keep in mind what our pension contributions are gong up to and project out the raises our insurance premiums will have. Hopefully we can at least break even after all this. We also need to focus on our futures with retirement medical insurance and the multiplier. Let's be smart with all this....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast