O-line and D-linmen needed for the 2009 season - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: O-line and D-linmen needed for the 2009 season

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel 50
    Bring them out. Here is a list of HCSO Deputies that are on the team. I will not post their names, I will post their jersey's number. Look at the roster on our team website and ask them about the team. #6, #37, #40, #52, #95.
    That's not their jersey numbers; that's their IQs for risking a career ending injury in a non-job related hazardous sport. :snicker:

Make that statement to them and then tell me about it. We play against other public safety employees and we are not to kill each other because we know we have to go to work the next day. We know the risks when we play the game, and if we worry about getting injured (like you) than we probably shouldn't play (like you).

You're correct in that there is some inherent danger to playing football. However, I also felt that there was some inherent danger in going from prolonged periods of inactivity (as far as prolonged strenuous activity) to periods of intense activity (such as a foot pursuit terminating in a fight). As a result, I tried out for the team because I viewed it as a relatively good way to elevate my overall level of fitness and strength.

In the interest of full disclosure, my tryout didn't go well. My legs didn't "feel" right during the whole tryout (40 yard dash / shuttle run) and I felt like I was running like a chicken and couldn't get my usual stride. I ended up blowing out my Achilles Tendon and required subsequent surgery.

Before you say "See, that proves my point", let me reveal the primary motivation for my post and provide some additional details. I have never had tendon issues in my life (nor any broken bones) and was in good shape at the time of the tryout. In my own workouts, I was running a 5.10 - 5.25 40 yard dash, which isn't bad for an almost 40 year old 5'11" 220 dude. At the time of the tryout, I was on day 6 of a 10 day course of high dose antibiotics due to an upper respiratory tract infection / borderline bronchitis and had been training pretty heavily for the tryout. I since found out that the antibiotic I was taking (Cipro) is linked to tendon failure.

So, my post has two points. First, although it carries some risk, the Sentinels are a tremendous group of guys and the brotherhood and chance to kick your workout into overtime makes it a great choice for those so inclined.

Second, if you or anyone you know (including your kids) ever takes Cipro or ANY of the listed anitbiotics, DO NOT engage in ANY heavy physical activity.

Here's a post on the topic if you want to read more. The warning is issues by the FDA, so I'm not talking any black chopper / voodoo junk science:

http://www.webmd.com/news/20080708/fda- ... re-tendons

I agree that there are risks in playing full contact football. I played on the Tampa Bay Guardians from its inception through 1996. Of course, I was a lot younger then. However, I played on the Sentinels last year and am playing again this year. I'm one of the oldest guys on the team (39), but it has been great. The bottom line is you play as much as you can. When I played for the Guardians when I was in my 20's, I could play just about every defensive down. Now I can't. I play a few downs and come out for a few. That's the only way I can do it now. The experience and the guys on the team make it worthwhile. They really are a good group of guys. Plus it might help in working towards the fitness challenge.
    #52 :wink:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12