Who trained this guy?

Who trained this guy?

December 01, 2008
    Plant City officer clocked 37 mph before crashing into bleachers, report says

TAMPA -- Plant City police Officer Chad Rader was traveling 37 mph on a motorcycle before he crashed into metal bleachers last month, injuring himself and three others, including the police chief.

That's according to a crash report released Monday in compliance with a public records request by the St. Petersburg Times.

Seventeen people, most from the Plant City Chamber of Commerce's leadership class, were sitting in the bleachers at the Plant City police headquarters on Nov. 18 at 1 p.m. watching Rader give a motorcycle demonstration when he lost control of the 2005 Harley-Davidson.

According to the crash report, another officer clocked Rader at 37 mph as he rode toward the bleachers. Rader applied his brakes, the report says, but the front wheel locked up and the officer began to skid, leaving a 41-foot skid mark.

That's when Rader tried to steer the motorcycle to the right, at which point the motorcycle tipped over in the opposite direction, the report says. Rader was thrown from the motorcycle, and the bike slid 36.3-feet on its left side before crashing into the bleachers.

Lynn Connor, one of the Leadership Plant City members who was injured, said she couldn't tell how fast the motorcycle was going before it hit her, slamming into her right leg.

"I just remember the motorcycle coming at me at what seemed to be a high rate of speed," she said today from a room at Habana Health Care Center. She was moved to the center from South Florida Baptist Hospital on Wednesday night for round-the-clock physical therapy.

Helen Stratigakos, an attorney for Connor, said she has notified Plant City police that she is investigating claims from the accident.

Stratigakos' only comment about the crash report was that she had hired her own investigators to determine the speed at which the motorcycle was traveling and to inspect the motorcycle itself.

Tom Scarritt, an attorney who is handling the case for Plant City police, said he is also in the process of hiring independent experts to study the crash and determine its cause.

To read previous coverage, click here.

Rebecca Catalanello, Times Staff Writer

Re: Who trained this guy?

Chad is well trained and has been doing this for approx six years now. I was not there and don't know what he was demonstrating, but I am familiar with the training motorcycle officers received. Some of the training centers on obstacle avoidance (simulated stopped vehicles, etc) at speeds of 35-45 mph. Bottom line is, regardless of the level of training, accidents happen to even the most trained and careful officers.

Quote Originally Posted by FRMRPCPDOFCR
    Chad is well trained and has been doing this for approx six years now. I was not there and don't know what he was demonstrating, but I am familiar with the training motorcycle officers received. Some of the training centers on obstacle avoidance (simulated stopped vehicles, etc) at speeds of 35-45 mph. Bottom line is, regardless of the level of training, accidents happen to even the most trained and careful officers.
    Bottom line:

1. Injury and medical costs to the innocent civilian that was struck by the motorcycle = $$$$$

2. Lawsuit from said innocent civilian = $$$$$$$

3. Worker comp claim for officer = $$$$$

4. Damage to motorcycle = $$$$

5. Time off for injured officer to city = $$$$

Bottom line is, Law Enforcement carries liability. No one is perfect and everything we do no matter how good intentioned can result in a lawsuit.

CHAD I HOPE YOU READ THIS, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT, IVE ALWAYS LIKED YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF RESPECT FOR YOU. DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING THE CITY TELLS YOU AND FOR GODS SAKE GET YOURSELF A LAWYER. DO NOT BELIEVE THE CORRUPT WORKERS COMP SYSTEM, NOR THEIR DOCTORS ESPECIALLY DR. THOMAS DIGERONIMO. YES ACCIDENTS HAPPEN AND THATS A PART OF LIFE, PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT UNDERLYING INJURY YOU MAY HAVE THAT WILL CAUSE YOU PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE. DONT THINK FOR ONE SECOND THE CITY WONT KICK YOU TO THE CURB IF YOU CANT DO YOUR JOB. THERE IS A GOOD LEGAL SYSTEM OUT THERE THAT WILL PROTECT YOU FROM SUCH CRAP THAT THE CITY WILL DO TO YOU, AS THEY ARE ABOUT TO FIND OUT THE HARD WAY!! TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK!! :evil: :snicker:

And get a schwin.

way to go billy boy, now youve done it with your "know it all, better than anyone esle, can do no wrong, everyone else is dumb, arrogant attidude" self. that was a good career move to set up the bleachers on the training pad with a cement wall you could have set them up behind, but wait, you would have had to move all the cars out of the way and that was to much trouble. but im sure you will handle it in a very professional manner, like throw chad under the bus or find some other division in the city to blame it on, or maybe the two ladies shound not have been sitting so close to the bottom. i hope they sue the stink out of your shit, since you got plenty of it. :devil:

Wow Well Spoken!!!!