SUPERBOWL????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUPERBOWL????

SUPERBOWL????

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE OFF-DUTY JOBS FOR THE WEEK OF SUPERBOWL WENT??

Re: SUPERBOWL????

Not to You Youre not in the Loop, or Inner Circle

You just got pulled from your day off.
    Primary assignment for you
    Working at Swann and Bayshore for an six hour post 12 noon to 6 PM
    Secondary assignment
    Direct Traffic at Blvd Kennedy

Dont call for minor BS and try to stay off the radio, OK?

The city realized a few years ago that events like gasparilla and superbowl are great money makers for them if they take the money from the clients who want off duty officers for security, and they provide on duty officers instead. They still charge the extra duty rate and the city pockets the difference between what the client is required to pay and the officers normal salary. That is why for the past few years there have been virtually no extra duty jobs around gasparilla time and everyone is working on duty.

In reality there really isn't a difference. The city makes a straight profit from officers working "on-duty". Think of this, the yearly budget is approved for all city employees in advance. Which means, that you're yearly salary is already budgeted ahead of time. When you, the officer, takes a day off to work a special event such as the Outback Bowl Parade or Gasparilla, the city charges the event cordinators an absorbant amount of money for each officer working the parage (This also includes Reserve Officers because they carry guns too).
    Officers who take a day off to work the mandatory parades or those who are posted there, are counted as "Extra Duty" officers by the city. Basically 500 Officers x 6 hours at $50 an hour = $150,000 straight profit for the city (Again your pay is already budgeted). This is just an example of how much the city makes from regulary duty officers. Now imagine how much the city WILL make from Outback Bowl, Superbowl, and Gasparilla. You can almost bet that the city will clear well over a Million, that's right a Million dollars in straight profit.

Now, when it comes to contract negotiation remember this, they CAN give you more, but they wont. They CAN pay for retirees insurance, but they wont, and they CAN pay you the off-duty rate that you deserve, but they wont.

Yours truly, the person who cares. :wink:

THIS IS BULL%@IT!!!! WHY THE HELL ARE WE LETTING THEM DO THIS TO US????
    IT HAS TO STOP, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE FAT *******S IN CITY HALL MAKING MONEY OUT THE @$$ AND WE'RE NOT GETTING OUR CUT.

WHERE THE F*CK IS OUR PBA??? SOME ONE NEEDS TO CONTACT THE ACLU ABOUT UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICES.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    THIS IS BULL%@IT!!!! WHY THE HELL ARE WE LETTING THEM DO THIS TO US????
    IT HAS TO STOP, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE FAT *******S IN CITY HALL MAKING MONEY OUT THE @$$ AND WE'RE NOT GETTING OUR CUT.

WHERE THE F*CK IS OUR PBA??? SOME ONE NEEDS TO CONTACT THE ACLU ABOUT UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICES.
    SOME ONE NEEDS TO CONTACT THE ACLU ABOUT UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICES.

Why don't you do it.?!?!?!? I am sick and tired of people complaing "someone needs to contact the PBA" if that is what you want you do it!!!!

From what I understand, the contract between the city and the NFL says that the city services provided for the Super Bowl are on duty, just like any city sponsered event such as the Gasparilla parades.

Sounds like the only off duty jobs will be those parties and events hosted by private companies and celebrities and there is not that many of those. I could be wrong, but that is what I am hearing

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Between the City & NFL
    From what I understand, the contract between the city and the NFL says that the city services provided for the Super Bowl are on duty, just like any city sponsered event such as the Gasparilla parades.
    Could be true but I have my doubts. I remember last time we had the superbowl in Tampa, the NFL wanted to pay $50 an hour to the officers working off duty (or so the rumor went anyway). The chief said absolutely not. His officers would only get $$ (whatever the rate was at the time, I forget now).

The reserves got them all....

Are they using surrounding agencies this time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast