Thinking about the FAMILY? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thinking about the FAMILY?

As a current SA, I would tell you that if you want to have a family (or a life period), than you should probably look at another agency like the FBI, DEA, or ATF. Those agencies have recognized the need to balance work/life issues other than in a family emergency. USSS management has still not recongnized this, even though every official e-mail says they do. Having worked with other SA's from other agencies, I can tell you that their work/life balance is vastly different. The FBI does not have a move policy like the USSS does, however you are required to do time in a "big" field office. If you begin your career in a big field office, you will probably never have to move unless you want to get promoted. In the USSS, there is a default pressure to get promoted and those that don't want to be a boss are looked down upon as having nothing to provide to the agency.

The biggest thing to look at, in my opinion, is this: How many agents leave other agencies to join the USSS? Not many. How many USSS agents leave to go to other agencies? More than any supervisor will ever admit to...on or off the record.

Although there is a lot of dull information in Ron Kessler's new book Inside the President's Secret Service, as well as a lot of insider gossip which no agent should have consented to disclose, there IS a lot of insightful information towards the end of the book regarding the management attitude of "burn 'em out, use 'em up and discard 'em."

And this is not coming from retirees, most of whom have a fierce loyalty to the Service the way it used to be, but from currently employed agents who are fed up with the way it is now.

If you don't want to buy the book then get it from the library. You will be appalled!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired USSS SA
    All of R & C comments are right on. In over 20 years as an SA in the SS, I found as others will agree a small office is no guarantee of less travel, often times the opposite. The comments of the USSS spouse should be carefully considered. I am not really sure this is the appropriate job for you based on your statements, but only you can decide.
    I agree with the above posting. Based on your comments I believe you would be better off considering a career with another federal law enforcement agency. While out of district I had a dog die, washing machine and other appliances break down, kids in the hospital, on and on. I once had an overseas assignment departing three days before Christmas and was gone for two weeks. I understand those were the good old days, I understand things are worse now.

[quote=Another Retired USSS SA]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Retired USSS SA":3t2vicvn
    All of R & C comments are right on. In over 20 years as an SA in the SS, I found as others will agree a small office is no guarantee of less travel, often times the opposite. The comments of the USSS spouse should be carefully considered. I am not really sure this is the appropriate job for you based on your statements, but only you can decide.
    I agree with the above posting. Based on your comments I believe you would be better off considering a career with another federal law enforcement agency. While out of district I had a dog die, washing machine and other appliances break down, kids in the hospital, on and on. I once had an overseas assignment departing three days before Christmas and was gone for two weeks. I understand those were the good old days, I understand things are worse now.[/quote:3t2vicvn]

The above post caused me to reflect on the period of my White House assignment. My wife was left to cope with similar domestic problems, and we had small children at home.

Upon returning from one overseas trip I scooped up the wife and kids and we drove down to McDonald's. As we sat and talked she told me how confined she felt at home with small children and little interaction with other adults. Then she expressed appreciation that I had taken her out to eat................ AT MCDONALD'S!!!

I was horrified to realize that while I was out traveling around the world and eating fine meals on per diem, the woman who I adored was so desperate to eat out that she considered McDonald's a treat.

From that day forward for the rest of her life (she passed away near our 50th wedding anniversary) I took her out to dinner to a nice restaurant at least once a week unless I was out of town on assignment.

Often we get so caught up in our work that we fail to consider the negative impact of the job (and our absences) on our spouse and children. I understand the absences are currently long and frequent. I am periodically asked by someone to discuss the prospects of working for the Service with one of their friends or relatives.

I tell the truth as I understand it and recommend that they find work with some other federal agency.

It's sad that I have to do so.

Thinking about the FAMILY

So Im currently in my first semester of college, and Im thinking about joining the reserves after I finish this semester. Ive been thinking about joining the military for a looong time, but Ive never actually committed to it. What do you think? Anybody currently in the reserves or who was in the reserves who can offer any advice? I talked to a recruiter and he said not to waste my time with the reserves, and just go active duty. Was that just recruiter BS or was he telling the truth?

Thanks

Re: Thinking about the FAMILY

Quote Originally Posted by walterharris
    So Im currently in my first semester of college, and Im thinking about joining the reserves after I finish this semester. Ive been thinking about joining the military for a looong time, but Ive never actually committed to it. What do you think? Anybody currently in the reserves or who was in the reserves who can offer any advice? I talked to a recruiter and he said not to waste my time with the reserves, and just go active duty. Was that just recruiter BS or was he telling the truth?

Thanks
    Walter, I believe you are in the wrong thread on this forum. It relates to the U. S. Secret Service, not the military.

Harris first of all why are you asking this on the Secret Service blog? I served in the 82nd Airborne. I'm not sure what your MOS is... for combat I would definitely say go active. Reserves don't get the level of training, schools, or combat rediness that active units do. Plus you'll get deployed for a year as a reservist. I would wait until you finish college. Go ROTC and become an officer. You'll get way better benefits, better pay, and better treatment. I left college to enlist, and if I could do it all over again I wouldve finished college and then gone the Officer route. Being an Officer also looks way better on a resume. That's just my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper
    Harris first of all why are you asking this on the Secret Service blog? I served in the 82nd Airborne. I'm not sure what your MOS is... for combat I would definitely say go active. Reserves don't get the level of training, schools, or combat rediness that active units do. Plus you'll get deployed for a year as a reservist. I would wait until you finish college. Go ROTC and become an officer. You'll get way better benefits, better pay, and better treatment. I left college to enlist, and if I could do it all over again I wouldve finished college and then gone the Officer route. Being an Officer also looks way better on a resume. That's just my take on it.
    Could Walter be a possible troll since he has not responded in any way in five days?

Quote Originally Posted by Possible Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper
    Could Walter be a possible troll since he has not responded in any way in five days?
    He probably just posted in the wrong forum.

Trolls try to stir things up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12