Permanent Shifts
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Permanent Shifts

Hey Capt Succi, how bout your insight about the permanent shifts. You seem to be the only one that has the balls to speak out and tell us the real story. We had months of meetings and the resultant vote gave us no real choice. Was the vote the same all over the State? Is it true that GHQ made the decision that THI would not work midnights anywhere in the State? Is it true that GHQ made the decision that if we have 3 squads now it could not be changed to 2 squads anywhere in the State? Is the vote the same all over the State or is each district given authority to make it what the troopers want as long as coverage is maintained? It just seems to me that we were given a vote but just to go permanent (for 1 year) and were not given anything that Major JB put out to the committee. What in the world happened?? Come on, shed some light on this.

Re: Permanent Shifts

I can tell your I voted against permanent shifts. I enjoy the 28 day rotation because it keeps things fresh and interesting. With the 28 day rotation I am able to plan out my family schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I can tell your I voted against permanent shifts. I enjoy the 28 day rotation because it keeps things fresh and interesting. With the 28 day rotation I am able to plan out my family schedule.
    Enjoy your reduced lifespan. The average lifespan of police officers after retirement that work rotating shifts is six years.

Enjoy your reduced lifespan. The average lifespan of police officers after retirement that work rotating shifts is six years.

Okay.....you enjoy it too. You'll be working the 28 day rotation for your FHP career because of people like me. Learn to adjust.

Okay.....you enjoy it too. You'll be working the 28 day rotation for your FHP career because of people like me. Learn to adjust.
    I work a permanent shift jackwad. Your stupidity does not affect me.

Hey Capt Succi, how bout your insight about the permanent shifts. You seem to be the only one that has the balls to speak out and tell us the real story. We had months of meetings and the resultant vote gave us no real choice. Was the vote the same all over the State? Is it true that GHQ made the decision that THI would not work midnights anywhere in the State? Is it true that GHQ made the decision that if we have 3 squads now it could not be changed to 2 squads anywhere in the State? Is the vote the same all over the State or is each district given authority to make it what the troopers want as long as coverage is maintained? It just seems to me that we were given a vote but just to go permanent (for 1 year) and were not given anything that Major JB put out to the committee. What in the world happened?? Come on, shed some light on this.
    It is my understanding that the directive from GHQ was the districts were to take a survey of everyone. If there was a 66% majority, then they were to explore the possibility of enacting what this majority wanted. The problem you have is if there are more than two choices it is next to impossible to get a 66% majority.

As far as I know, THI are working mids in many areas. I did not hear if it was mandated from GHQ for them not to work mids. The problem with Corporals working mids they can't do their work during the shift they need to such as interviewing people and/or processing vehicles. You can keep a Corporal from catching a THI while on mids, but the problem is before. If they catch one before the midnight shift they would not be able to do what they need to do while on mids.

I don't believe Corporals should be assigned midnight shifts, but that is just me!

Shifts and their rotation or permanent is a district/troop decision. There are several troops where the districts work different schedules than the others.

3 - 0 - 15

Thank you sir. The only thing about THI working mids is they can also be kept from catching a case during the last week before the shift change they go to mids on. There is no excuse for more than a week of having to adjust their shifts. I can also understand places where they are overworked not having to work midnights but there are places where they just come out and do NOTHING but pick up an easy crash once in a while while the rest of us hustle from crash to crash and then have to work mids every 3-4 months. We are only asking for their help. NOPE we aint getting it.
    Thanks again for your honest answer. As always, you are the man we turn to.

Thank you sir. The only thing about THI working mids is they can also be kept from catching a case during the last week before the shift change they go to mids on. There is no excuse for more than a week of having to adjust their shifts. I can also understand places where they are overworked not having to work midnights but there are places where they just come out and do NOTHING but pick up an easy crash once in a while while the rest of us hustle from crash to crash and then have to work mids every 3-4 months. We are only asking for their help. NOPE we aint getting it.
    Thanks again for your honest answer. As always, you are the man we turn to.
    In my experience the complainers like yourself are the worst offenders once they get into THI. If you bypass that 10% of THI you are a fool, especially in this lowest paid outfit.
    Have you ever tried to write a detailed investigative report while trying to stay awake on mids? I have (way back when) and the work product reflected it. In fact, our area is too busy on mids to be able to even work on a homicide. We are generally holding at least a couple so you think open cases should be suspended so we can work mids? You think the victim's families would appreciate that? How about the SA's for criminal cases? You think they will accept the excuse, "Sorry I had to work mids. I can't get it to you." No investigators in any Dept. work mids in our area and I would suspect that is statewide as well. You think our job is so trivial that we can put every thing aside to work mids?
    You have no clue about what we do so STFU.

28 day rotations are criminal. what a joke.

In my experience the complainers like yourself are the worst offenders once they get into THI. If you bypass that 10% of THI you are a fool, especially in this lowest paid outfit.
    Have you ever tried to write a detailed investigative report while trying to stay awake on mids? I have (way back when) and the work product reflected it. In fact, our area is too busy on mids to be able to even work on a homicide. We are generally holding at least a couple so you think open cases should be suspended so we can work mids? You think the victim's families would appreciate that? How about the SA's for criminal cases? You think they will accept the excuse, "Sorry I had to work mids. I can't get it to you." No investigators in any Dept. work mids in our area and I would suspect that is statewide as well. You think our job is so trivial that we can put every thing aside to work mids?
    You have no clue about what we do so STFU.

How is that other Highway Patrol agencies train their front-line Troopers to investigate fatal and near fatal crashes? CHP trains/allows their Officers to investigate such crashes. Unless it involves one of their own, multiple vehicles, or an outside agency CHP Officers will investigate.

Oh wait, I know why....FHP still lives in the 70's.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast