Reserves

Thread: Reserves

Reserves

I am interested in joining the deputy reserves at the moment and have done extensive research, I hope to make a career out of it in the future, just want to get in a few more college classes (to finish my degree) and I currently have a decent job that pays the bills. In the mean time I have enough time to commit to the reserves and attend the night academy, etc.

Just had a few questions,

1. What are the general opinions about the reserve force, and is it good experience? (I assume it is.)

2. How easy is it to transfer from reserves to active (have to wait 3 years I believe)?

Thanks!

Re: Reserves

First of all, are you referring to the Reserve I Program or Reserve II Program? (There is a big difference)

-Reserve I- Fully certified deputy that goes through the exact same training as the full time deputies. (They are just not paid for their service)
    -Reserve 2- Attend a shorter academy and are not certified. They only have arrest powers while they are in the presence of a fully certified deputy. (either full time deputy or Reserve 1)

If you are referring to Reserve I, if you are any good, you could be hired right away when you decide to come on board. (Because you would have already been trained.)

If you are referring to the Reserve II program, you are "generally" expected to fulfill a 2 year commitment. (Not written anywhere, but just the way it is) The reserve program at HCSO is a great experience. I did it for two years before I came on full time. Once you complete your training hours, you can venture out into many different areas. (motorcycles, marine unit, aviation, honor guard, etc.) They even have Reserve 2's that go out and write traffic crash reports. (They are a tremendous help to the troops) You are expected to work at least 20 hours a month and should be available to assist with parades, fair, strawberry festival, etc.

As far as how they are viewed, just like the full time deputies, there are good ones and there are bad ones. The good ones are thought very highly of and make a significant contribution to the agency.

I hope this answered your question. Good luck!

Thank you very much, I was referring to the R2s. Right now with a full time job and some family obligations I think it'd be hard for me to make ends meet and go to an academy for 6 months unless I was sponsored through.
    So, If I went from R2s to full time then I'd have to attend a full time academy? How would that work out? Would I have to pay my way through that academy? Thanks for the response and it seems like a really good oppurtunity for what I want right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Thank you very much, I was referring to the R2s. Right now with a full time job and some family obligations I think it'd be hard for me to make ends meet and go to an academy for 6 months unless I was sponsored through.
    So, If I went from R2s to full time then I'd have to attend a full time academy? How would that work out? Would I have to pay my way through that academy? Thanks for the response and it seems like a really good oppurtunity for what I want right now!
    Unless it has changed in the past few months, I BELIEVE HCSO sponsors you through the academy (pays for it) as well as pays you while going through it. I could be wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    If you complete the RII Academy then decide you want to go full time, you will have to apply all over again. Then IF...and only IF...you are selected for the "integrity program", you will have go through the entire academy again, including a two week "boot camp" and complete Module/FTO as well. But if you do get selected for full time, you will be on the payroll once the Academy begins.

Either way, it's a 1 year cycle to get on as an RII or full time. I personally make more money in my regular job at this point in time but enjoy Law Enforcement as well so I kinda got the best of both worlds.

Honestly, if I didn't have to go through the Academy all over again, I'd probably go full time in a heartbeat. :wink:

Come to the RII Orientation to get a full understanding of it and you will get all your questions answered. It's at 1900 on the 4th Tuesday, every month and is held at District 2 on Falkenburg Rd.

Actually, I believe orientation is the first Tuesday of the month:

" How To Apply

If you are interested in volunteering your time and resources to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office by joining the Reserve II program you must first attend a Reserve II orientation. These orientations are held the first Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Special Operations Division’s roll call room at our Falkenburg Road facility, 2224 N. Falkenburg Rd., Tampa (Brandon). You must attend this meeting to obtain an application. "

But, keep the 4th Tuesday in mind, we don't want you missing any of our general meetings....

To the original poster, I've been with HCSO as a Reserve II for about 8 years, had 3 years with another agency before that.

From the top down, HCSO as a whole treats the Reserves exceedingly well. I've had some Deputies / Supervisors treat me pretty poorly and I've had some Supervisors (of high rank) treat me so well it embarrassed me. All in all I don't have a single complaint and am very happy being a part of the program.