Police release name of officer killed in fiery wreck

By Macollvie Jean-François | Sun-Sentinel.com
3:17 PM EST, November 23, 2008

Hollywood police officer killed in patrol car crash

A Hollywood police officer died after crashing his cruiser into a tree at the 7000 block of Sheridan Street just before 9 p.m. Satruday. (Johnny Louis, SunSentinel / November 23, 2008)

HOLLYWOOD - Police today released the name of the officer killed in a fiery wreck. He is Officer Alex Del Rio, 31, Hollywood police spokesman Lt. Manny Marino said in a news release.

Del Rio, a 9-year-veteran of the department, was assigned to traffic enforcement. He may have been trying to stop a vehicle speeding in the eastbound lanes of Sheridan Street when he lost control of the patrol car and struck a tree in the 7000 block about 8:42 p.m., Marino said.

The patrol car erupted in flames and, despite the efforts of two officers, Del Rio could not be freed before he died, police and witnesses said. There were no other injuries, police said.

Police blocked off much of the area and said they were interviewing one taxi driver who may have been involved in the collision as well as several other witnesses. Officials would not give further details of the crash, and would not say if they were considering charges.

Del Rio was "extremely liked," Police Chief Chadwick Wagner said. "He was very energetic, always positive."

On Saturday night Del Rio was assigned to work traffic enforcement, focusing on red-light runners and speeders. His last communication with the city dispatch center was at 8:40 p.m., when he reported he had just completed a traffic stop in the 7800 block of Sheridan Street. Two minutes later, police received several 911 calls reporting the crash.

Susana Oliva, 31, was among a group of residents who called 911 and rushed to help Del Rio before officers and paramedics arrived. She and her husband grabbed a household fire extinguisher to fight the flames, as other neighbors brought a garden hose and a cement pole in a mad scramble to try to save Del Rio.

"My heart goes out to the family," Oliva said. "It's the most awful thing I've ever seen in my life."