FTO Guidance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTO Guidance

FTO Guidance

FTO's,

I will be going on FTO in a few weeks. If there are any FTO's that would be willing to share some advice/tips how to make it successfully through what I have been told is a pretty stressful time period, I would really appreciate it.

Re: FTO Guidance

Hint one, if you are around a group of cops, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNLESS YOU ARE DIRECTLY ASKED A QUESTION. I do not care what you have to add to the conversation. You have not earned your right to offer your input to our conversations! I hate that more than anything when rookies do that! I dont care that you have years on with another department, your a rookie at the new department you choose. Get off FTO then you can start to talk. Even then wach out!

Hint two, ask Law Enforcement questions.... I do not care what you did on your days off. If it doesn't pertain to police work, I DO NOT CARE!

Hint three, do not be afraid to ask quesrions that relate to police work....

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Hint one, if you are around a group of cops, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNLESS YOU ARE DIRECTLY ASKED A QUESTION. I do not care what you have to add to the conversation. You have not earned your right to offer your input to our conversations! I hate that more than anything when rookies do that! I dont care that you have years on with another department, your a rookie at the new department you choose. Get off FTO then you can start to talk. Even then wach out!

Hint two, ask Law Enforcement questions.... I do not care what you did on your days off. If it doesn't pertain to police work, I DO NOT CARE!

I know it is difficult to teach an old dog a new trick, but it is possible for the old dog to learn something, even if it does come from a rookie. Your "I DO NOT CARE" attitude is poor. This type of attitude limits the ability to build a strong foundation and repore with trainees. Your trainees may never make it to hint #3.

If you are a FTO, you should seriously look into retaking the "basic" FTO training class and/or possibly take a team building seminar. A last option would include your resignation from the FTO program as your attitude is a cancer. The last thing the FTO program should be trying to produce is another person with your poor attitude.

The original poster seeking guidance on successfully completing the FTO program:
    1) Ask questions - BEFORE a situation arises. FTO's & trainees need to be on the same page of music.

2) If you encounter a FTO with the "I DONT CARE" attitude, understand you will only be with them a short period of time. Do what you have to do to complete that phase of training and move on.

3) All good training programs solicit feedback about a trainees' experience with thier FTO. If given the opportunity to provide feedback, be honest with the feedback; its the only way to improve a training program. Besides, it probably isnt the first time (nor will it be the last time) the FTO Coordinator hears the criticism of the FTO.

4) Invest in yourself. Take time to study on your days off.

Read policy & procedure. Take time to look at a street map if you arent familiar with the assigned area. Study the code sheet(s). Be familiar with the agency forms, lingo, and equipment.

You can do all that has been metioned by taking some time off-duty and listening to your radio. You can find unfamiliar streets using the district map. Research policy & procedure as to what each call entails....etc.

5) Dont wait to be told to do everything. Be proactive. Show some initiative. (inform/ask your FTO, in advance, of your intentions/desires.....ie: Can we take the call [burglary, death invest, robbery, theft] asigned to unit XXX.

6) Take notes. WRITE DOWN the INFORMATION given to you.

7) Ask questions. Ask questions. Ask questions.

i second that. the people being hired these days suck for the most part. terrible work ethics, running their mouth too much. its all about collecting a paycheck these days and not about doing police work. this seems to be a growing trend everywhere and i blame the other "soft" fto's who want to baby the rookies by making them feel like they are one of the boys without paying their dues.

An FTO is the first officer/deputy the recruit comes in contact with when they start. That FTO has one mission, embark as much knowledge on that recruit as he/she can in the short time you have them and make them accountable for that knowledge. Your recruit should be able to build off of your experiences as an officer/deputy, those experiences come from OFF duty as well as ON duty situations. We as FTO's need to guide the "younger" officers/deputies with whatever they have for questions, we are mentors.
    Now I have to admit there is something wrong regarding the work ethic and the reasons they are getting into this profession sometimes escapes me. But regardless this is what we have to work with so its are job to retrain their thinking.

This is for the original post, there are some FTO's that are secure enough with themselves and then there are some( Like the second post) that arent, and cannot allow you as a new recruit to have your own ideas and allow you to make mistakes without making you feel inferior. Now if you find yourself with one of these "veterans" then suck it up, complete that phase and drive on. Do not complain to your chain of command or utilize the "open door policy" cause that will just make things worse for you from the start. Just keep it in the back of your head that the "veteran" is probably a disgruntled Officer/Deputy who has taken the Cpl/Sgt's exam and been passed over more than a few times and being an FTO is the only way to have control over someone. Just make sure you cover your six. Do as the the above poster and study off duty, you only get out of it what you put into it.

Just be yourself. Its a stressful time but if the FTO is such a di-- he can make it more stressful. There is no need for that, learning the job is stressful enough. Listen twice as much as you speak. There are FTO'S out there who are on a power trip and like to talk down to you, just go with the flow.

[quote="Guest"]Hint one, if you are around a group of cops, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNLESS YOU ARE DIRECTLY ASKED A QUESTION. I do not care what you have to add to the conversation. You have not earned your right to offer your input to our conversations! I hate that more than anything when rookies do that! I dont care that you have years on with another department, your a rookie at the new department you choose. Get off FTO then you can start to talk. Even then wach out!

Hint three, do not be afraid to ask quesrions that relate to police work....[/quote

FROM ONE FTO, TO ANOTHER...............YOU ARE AN IDIOT.......PLEASE STOP TRAINING YOU MORON

Spoke like a little turd who just got cut loose from your FTO. Guess you've seen it all and done it all huh Kid????

If this is the way you would treat a fellow LEO (rookie or Not ) I would love to see how your "gods gift to law enforcement attitude" flies with a respectable member of the public.

Azzholes like yourself are what gives this profession a bad name.

I do not like to speak badly of other people, so I won't comment on previous posts, as misguided as I believe they are. I have been an FTO for a while, and have had my share of "rocks" and my share of really good recruits. In reply to the original post I would say the best thing you can do is to show up with a clean pressed uniform and an eagerness to learn. Ask specific questions related to the job performance and policies. In time, a rapport will build (or not) with your FTO and that person will (or will not) begin to open up and include you in the "family". Tread lightly, as there will be people who will still treat you like dirt. Stick it out, study on you days off, and come back to work a better officer than when you left. Remember that the seasoned officers have been through a lot of situations together, and you have not yet gained the level of trust they have amongst themselves. This only comes with time and experience. I know that in our program the recruits are in Academy, Modular, and FTO for almost a full year. It is a long time, but stick it out. When you get out the other side, you will be a part of the most exciting career field ever. I have been doing this job for a while, and I still love it. Keep the faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast