New Hires
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hires

New Hires

I'm sure that new hires are generally assigned the older(est) vehicles, are they Crown Vics? Unfortunately, I live outside of the County and when travelling through Pasco, I don't see too many patrol cars.

Can anyone expound a little on what occurs during the 3 week orientation? Obviously, report writing and learning the CAD system, Taser cert, uniforms, etc. What else can new hires expect?

Re: New Hires

how long did you wait until you heard something back from them....I applied almost two months ago because im moving back to pasco from northern florida...im certified and have experience and still havent heard anything yet and the wife is getting pissy cuz she wants to move already.

It was actually a fairly long process. Review board was end of August begining of Oct.
    Conditional offer on 12/08, but part of it was due to me being out of State for a while.

The bulk of the orientation will cover report writing. There will be some (very) brief coverage of the following: ASP, DT, simmunitions, CPR and oh yeah MORE REPORT WRITING!! In regards to the vehicles being assigned these days, when you get out of FTO you'll most likely be assigned an older Impala. Sadly, the real police vehicles are going the way of the Do-Do around here and we are stuck with the Impalas =(

Do you all have take home vehicles? I heard the sheriff took the cars away when the price of gas was really high.

We have take home cars but we're only allowed to use them to and from work or for agency related business like court.

Duty Weapon

Are Deputies allowed to use either the TLR-1 or TLR-2 if they purchase them and the appropriate holster? What about the Crimson Trace Laser grip/sights? I used the Crimson Trace Laser for several years and really like it. My wife's Agency issues the TLR-1 and it is very useful. Just wondering.

Re: Duty Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Guest Again
    Are Deputies allowed to use either the TLR-1 or TLR-2 if they purchase them and the appropriate holster? What about the Crimson Trace Laser grip/sights? I used the Crimson Trace Laser for several years and really like it. My wife's Agency issues the TLR-1 and it is very useful. Just wondering.
    No. You should worry about things that you will have a hard time with like G.O.s and State Statutes and worry less about fancy toys and crap for your gun. What do you think, we go to every call with our guns out like it is a fking movie? If you need a laser sight for your gun your gonna have difficulty because we don't use them her since there is no need. If you are preparing for your start date, you need to only remember one thing. Study, or you will wash out. Our FTOs are not going to settle for second rate.

2PNRTXD

"No. You should worry about things that you will have a hard time with like G.O.s and State Statutes and worry less about fancy toys and crap for your gun. What do you think, we go to every call with our guns out like it is a fking movie? If you need a laser sight for your gun your gonna have difficulty because we don't use them her since there is no need. If you are preparing for your start date, you need to only remember one thing. Study, or you will wash out. Our FTOs are not going to settle for second rate."

Wow, I thought coming to your Department with more than 17 years of full time Law Enforcement experience including more than 13 years as an FTO, 6 years as a supervisor, 3 years as a K-9 handler, might keep me from being considered a wet behind the ears, newbie, rookie. Gosh, I never considered GO's and State Statutes. I was thinking about "fancy toys and crap for my gun" like I live in a "fking movie!" I'll try and forget the 3 or 4 dozen times that I used mine and it worked beautifully. Certainly there must be "no need" and they must be crap, otherwise so many deparments wouldn't have spent the money to buy them and the new holsters. Thank you for setting me straight!

BTW, as an FTO I never settled for second best either, so I should get along well with my FTOs.

Are you saying you fired your weapon in the line of duty 3 or 4 dozen times and you actually got hired? Holy sh1t we are really taking risks with new hires these days. Is our hiring pool lacking or what?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast