FBI public corruption case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FBI public corruption case

Am I the only one in Cherokee County this is a realy cool site. I have heard a lot about it and now nothing...keep the faith.

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/may08/tenne...tz_050208.html

TENNESSEE WALTZ
    The Dance is Over
    05/02/08

One of the subjects in the Tennesee Waltz case (right) making a deal with our undercover agent

Bribery. Bagmen. Crooked politicians. Ethical lapses.

All ugly terms that were part of an FBI public corruption case that began nearly six years ago and recently came to a successful close.

Last month, the undercover sting known as "Tennessee Waltz" (coincidentally, also the official state song), ended where it started: a contractor working in Shelby County Juvenile Court Clerk's Office was sentenced for his role in a corrupt invoice scam, accepting money for work never performed.

He was the 12th and final subject brought to justice in the case.

Tennessee Waltz was a landmark investigation: it not only led to the convictions or guilty pleas of a dozen state and local public officials—including several state senators, a state representative, two county commissioners, and two school board members—but also to new state ethics laws and the creation of an independent ethics commission in Tennessee.

It began in May 2002, when our Memphis office opened an investigation into reports of fraud and corruption in the Juvenile Court Clerk’s Office. One of the individuals we questioned—a well-known lobbyist who was consulting for that office— admitted to wrongdoing and agreed to cooperate and wear a wire to record conversations with suspects.

It wasn't long before our lobbyist was approached by an employee in the office who claimed to be a close acquaintance of several state legislators. The employee advised the lobbyist that he was a "bagman" for these politicians—and that, in exchange for money, these lawmakers would vote on legislation that would benefit the lobbyist's clients.

So our corruption investigation expanded—from local government to the state legislature. In the fall of 2003, we launched an undercover operation to address what appeared to be a widespread public corruption problem.

One of the 12 subjects in the case

As part of the operation, we set up a fictitious company that recycled surplus electronic equipment to third world countries. We let it be known that we wanted legislation that would benefit our company, and we wanted exclusive contracts with local governments. Our undercover agents offered bribes to individuals who—based on information we had—we believed would take them...and they did. And then they told their colleagues, who in some instances took bribes as well.

Some of the corrupt politicians even introduced legislation that we drafted (but no legislation was ever passed). All told, we paid out more than $150,000 in bribe money by the time the undercover portion of Tennessee Waltz ended in 2005.

The case, worked with the help of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, is one of our most successful examples to date of how we use lawful sensitive techniques like undercover operations to investigate allegations of systemic corruption.

For the FBI, public corruption continues to be our top criminal priority. Right now, we have more than 2,500 pending cases—an increase of 50 percent from 2003. And during the past two years alone, our work with our partners has led to the conviction of more than 1,800 government officials.

Read more about our efforts to combat public corruption at all levels of government.

Post Re: FBI public corruption case

So you are saying that you are involved and one of the connections that should have been investigated?? Don't understand what you are saying :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Re: FBI public corruption case

No, not at all just trying to open discussion.

There is NO corruption in Cherokee County North Carolina. We have stand-up deputies and a Sheriff is the best there is!

Agree. Don't understand how this article has anything to do with Cherokee County. There has not been a corruption investigation in many many years. Probably disgruntled folk that trying to stir up trouble. Bet it gets even worse as the election nears for sheriff.

It will get worse near elections I suspect. And those loyal to the sheriff will be the first to go looking for new jobs if he does not win the new election. People here remember what has been done, and those whom have been done wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Seeker
    It will get worse near elections I suspect. And those loyal to the sheriff will be the first to go looking for new jobs if he does not win the new election. People here remember what has been done, and those whom have been done wrong.
    Still confused what this has to do with the good fellas and gals in Cherokee County? Who says he will not win. Sounds like supposition. :devil:

let me explain. Its time for CHANGE in Cherokee county too! Just like the country needs change, so does our county. Eight years is long enough for this sheriff. He has had eight years to make improvements, and he has done very little, to nothing. We need new ideas and new blood. What we can not afford is another 4 years of the same, or to keep the staff he has now. Of course the people on here making the arguments for the sheriff are those who work for him and do not want to lose their jobs. You gals and guys need a reality check too! The free ride and free coffee and Fat Backs is soon to end.

Lightbulb Re: FBI public corruption case

Quote Originally Posted by truth teller
    let me explain. Its time for CHANGE in Cherokee county too! Just like the country needs change, so does our county. Eight years is long enough for this sheriff. He has had eight years to make improvements, and he has done very little, to nothing. We need new ideas and new blood. What we can not afford is another 4 years of the same, or to keep the staff he has now. Of course the people on here making the arguments for the sheriff are those who work for him and do not want to lose their jobs. You gals and guys need a reality check too! The free ride and free coffee and Fat Backs is soon to end.
    Chang for change sake is not always something that is for the good. I don't understand where you are coming from as far as improvements I guess the multi million dollar facility that he helped to come to completion isn't good enough to count. From what I am reading in the papers arrests are being made for all kinds of crime from drugs to child molesters, of course j walking might be something to put on the next agenda. Not all people who look at the sheriffs office see it as bad, and not all who defend it work for the sheriff. As far as the free ride and free coffee well haven't been in there in so long not sure if Fatback still sells it.

To me the your issue always surrounds how it could be better if someone else was doing it. I never hear how it would be better just that it is bad and something needs to be done. Much as the rhetoric with the presidential election, the democratic candidate says time for a change and promises programs that he (if elected) could not get passed since the president can't introduce legislation so saying you are going to make a change requires more people that one man even though that man may have great influence the framers of the constitution allowed for a system of checks and balances. Part of that system is the right to vote. As in this election year the most popular will be elected. You have that opportunity to vote when the next election comes. But I ask you to remember if change for change sake is really what you want? Will it benefit or hurt. IMHO :cop:

You must not be from here, or do not follow the local events close. The Jail was not the doing of this sheriff, nor should he get the credit. This jail plans were in the works before this sheriff. The old sheriff and crime commission started the jail plans. This sheriff has done little to nothing in the last eight years. I am sure he will do something in the next year before elections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast