Updated: TPD chief: We shouldn’t have blamed Rachel Hoffman
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Updated: TPD chief: We shouldn’t have blamed Rachel Hoffman

1 Officer Fired, 2 Sgts, 1 Lt, 1 Capt Suspended 2 Weeks, Deputy Chief, Chief Receive Reprimands

Updated 6:10 p.m.

Tallahassee Police Chief Dennis Jones admits the department was wrong to have initially said Rachel Hoffman got herself killed when the confidential informant was shot in a disastrous May 7 drug bust.

“We were placing most of the blame on Rachel Hoffman. I regret that now,” Jones said Friday. “It made us look like we weren’t taking responsibility for what happened.”

Speaking a day after the release of a harsh internal-affairs report, Jones said he’d suspected early on that there was more to the story than simply Hoffman’s refusal to obey instructions by following two suspected drug dealers to an unauthorized location. But that’s what officers initially told him, he said, and that’s what he told the public.

“I think we were too quick to relate what we knew at the time,” he said.

Within a few days, however, he began to look into the incident and read the officers’ first reports. He realized the department had made mistakes, too.

“That’s when I said, 'Whoa, wait a minute, guys. This isn’t the way we were supposed to be doing it,’” he said.

Hoffman’s family lawyer, Lance Block, said the chief’s comments are a step in the right direction.

“It’s been obvious for five months now that Rachel Hoffman was the victim of negligence by the Tallahassee Police Department, which directly led to her death,” Block said. “So, Chief Jones’ comments are clearly appropriate.”

Jones ordered an internal-affairs investigation three days after Hoffman’s body was found May 9. That investigation found 21 individual violations of nine separate policies.

“I didn’t think it would be so many policies not being followed,” Jones said. ”We have to share in the responsibility.”

Ultimately, however, Jones and other city officials say, it’s the job of the criminal and civil courts to determine exactly who shoulders the most responsibility.

“If there hadn’t been these procedural errors, can you say with any certainty that Rachel wouldn’t have been killed? I don’t think we can,” said Michelle Bono,
    assistant to the city manager. “Even in the best of operations, you never know exactly what the outcome will be.”

But Hoffman’s parents and others have contended that she should never have been used as a confidential informant in the first place. Certainly, they say, police should never have let such an untrained novice go alone to meet suspected drug dealers who officers knew had a gun.

Hoffman was also in a court diversion program stemming from an earlier marijuana-possession conviction. Because of that, the State Attorney’s Office should have been notified before Hoffman was recruited as an informant, but that never happened.

“(City officials) say that they want to be held accountable,” said Block. “I think they should admit they are negligent and say they are sorry and ... compensate this family fairly.”

Jones said that Hoffman should have been dropped as an informant early on. From the beginning, she did numerous things that should have made it clear to her main contact, Investigator Ryan Pender, that she wasn’t cut out to be an informant.

“He should have cut her loose then,” Jones said.

As chief, he trusted his staff and didn’t think it necessary to micromanage how confidential informants were used.

“There were assumptions made that people were doing their jobs,” Jones said. “My disappointment is a loss of confidence in those folks.”

Updated 12:27 p.m.

The grand jury that examined the Rachel Hoffman case was instructed in negligence law and could've pursued criminal charges against Tallahassee Police Department officers, but no indictment was returned.

“That issue was before the grand jury and there was no indictment,” said State Attorney Willie Meggs.

Meggs said he had no comment about whether the punishment doled out to the TPD officers was appropriate.
    Earlier update

A Tallahassee police investigator has been fired, the chief of police reprimanded and four officers suspended without pay for the botched drug sting that led to informant Rachel Hoffman's death.

The disciplinary actions were announced Thursday afternoon at City Hall before the release of a nearly 200-page Tallahassee Police Department internal-affairs report and a 34-page report from the Attorney General's Office. Police Chief Dennis Jones and City Manager Anita Favors Thompson detailed changes they've made as a result of the findings.

The only person fired was Investigator Ryan Pender, Hoffman's main contact with TPD and the officer who recruited her as an informant after police found drugs in her apartment.

"When we make mistakes, we not only believe we should be accountable for those mistakes, but we are also charged with putting into place whatever it takes to prevent such mistakes from happening in the future," Thompson said.

Lance Block, the attorney for Hoffman's parents, said how the chief disciplines his employees is a department issue.

"What we know is Rachel Hoffman's case was terribly mishandled and we want to see justice, and justice constitutes a public apology and just compensation for the family," Block said.

The attorney general's report found 32 potential violations of TPD's policies and procedures.

The chief of police has been reprimanded by the city manager and told to have stricter supervision from the top down. The deputy chief was also reprimanded.

Four of the 15 officers involved in the sting — Capt. Chris Connell, Lt. Taltha White, Sgt. David Odom and Sgt. Rod Looney — were suspended without pay for two weeks. Connell, White and Odom are being reassigned within the department.
    Complacency blamed

Police spokesman David McCranie said the officers' punishments were decided by the chief based on "the totality of the circumstances, the number of violations and the severity."

Internal-affairs investigators cited Pender for nine substantiated violations of policies and procedures, the most of any officer involved.

Pender knew Hoffman had met with a potential suspect outside his control and against direction, according to the internal-affairs report. He was also aware that she'd set up a deal with a suspect without consulting him and that she'd disclosed her confidential-informant status to a suspect.

He'd also allowed Hoffman to go alone in her car to meet two men for the drug deal that resulted in her death, the report said. He let her decide where to put the wire, the recording device and $13,000 in recorded bills. He also allowed the suspects to determine the location of the drug deal.

McCranie said complacency was a major cause of the breakdown.

"All of the officers were trying to do the right thing," he said. "The policies and procedures are in place to protect all of us. You've got to adhere to them to make sure things like this don't happen."

By Thursday afternoon, the officers hadn't been notified in writing of the disciplinary actions against them, according to the Big Bend chapter of the Florida Police Benevolent Association. Once notified, they'll have 15 days to file a grievance. Police-union officials are reviewing the punishments and helping to determine appropriate actions.
    Details from May 7

The two reports, both of which have portions blacked out because of a pending murder trial, reveal more of what happened May 7, when the 23-year-old Hoffman was to buy drugs and a gun from two men.

Police lost sight of her, and she was found shot to death in Taylor County 36 hours later. Deneilo Bradshaw, 23, and Andrea Green, 25, are now charged with her murder.

Officers admitted in interviews they didn't know the identity of one of the suspects Hoffman was to bust until she disappeared.

The original location for the planned drug buy was at the Summerbrooke home of one of the suspects' parents. The suspects later told Hoffman to meet them at Forestmeadows Park.

One potential location for the drug sting was the Wal-Mart on Thomasville Road. Both it and the Forestmeadows Park location were crowded with cars and people in the early evening. Using such a site would violate department policy, the report said.

According to the internal-affairs report, the officers should have considered several factors before allowing the deal to happen at Forestmeadows: Traffic was bad northbound on two-lane North Meridian Road after 5 p.m.; the road is lined with tall, shady trees that made aircraft surveillance "useless"; Hoffman was not familiar with the area; and Forestmeadows is a public park with citizens present.

Pender lost track of Hoffman when he turned in at the Meridian Sports Complex instead of following her to Forestmeadows, a half mile away, the report stated. He didn't arrange for someone else to tail her, but he let officers know over the radio she was on her way. Some of the officers later said they thought one of their colleagues was following her.

At 6:45 p.m., the officers at Forestmeadows told Pender they didn't see her. A minute later, Pender lost the signal to Hoffman's wire. At 6:48 p.m., Pender got Hoffman on her cell phone and found out she was headed to Gardner Road. He said he told her to stop following the men and turn around. Pender radioed the other officers to move in immediately. Four minutes later, officers were on Gardner. But Hoffman and the suspects were already gone.

Officer Greg Tucker told internal-affairs investigators none of the officers in his car knew where Gardner Road was until someone gave directions over the radio. He didn't turn on his car's police lights and sirens on his way there.

"I was torn between getting there as fast as I could and not alerting the bad guys until we got there," Tucker said. "At that point we didn't care about the takedown as far as the arrest. We didn't care about the dope. We were going to get our CI back."
    'This tragedy'

In his interview with investigators, Pender said nothing Hoffman said or did would've led him to believe she was incapable of conducting a sting.

"Just the opposite," he told investigators. "She was very competent. And her street slang of drug terms used in doing deals — she was very, very good at discussing those over the phone."

At the Thursday news conference, City Manager Thompson expressed her "personal and heartfelt" sympathy to the Hoffman family and friends.

"This incident has not been taken lightly in Tallahassee," she said, "not in our community, not in our government and not by our TPD law-enforcement personnel who share the grief of this tragedy."
    Click to View Article and Readers Comments

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...NTPAGECAROUSEL

Re: Updated: TPD chief: We shouldn’t have blamed Rachel Hoffman

Nobody has the balls to speak up on this????

Nobody wants to state the obvious.. which is...

Rachel Hoffman was a drug dealer. She chose to work for the police knowing the risks. It didnt turn out well. This is reality, not a TV show. If she hadnt been a drug dealer, she would be alive right now. She is responsible for her own death.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dooley
    Nobody wants to state the obvious.. which is...

Rachel Hoffman was a drug dealer. She chose to work for the police knowing the risks. It didnt turn out well. This is reality, not a TV show. If she hadnt been a drug dealer, she would be alive right now. She is responsible for her own death.

Amen, you have spoke the truth. To bad administration could not step up to the plate and defend their own.

I am the mother of a murdered child. Jennifer Crecente...it's all over google so you can look it up for yourself. You know the suppositions about who Rachel was, who anyone was, is just not for any one of us to say. You never NEVER know the story behind a TV segment. I've gone through the same thing and it is unbelievable that we as parents are simply trashed. Most often this is because people desperately need to separate themselves from us. That way, it could never happen to them. We are the "others" and they are the normal good people. I was a damn good parent, a loving person with an only child. Can we just for a moment stop placing BLAME where what we should do is say a prayer (to whomever we have faith) for all involved? Why are we obsessed with blaming someone?

As a parent I can only begin to scratch the surface of how horribly painful it is to see your child's murder as fodder for the entertainment of people who have NO IDEA how this feels. There is always more to the story than you see. The media is extremely slanted. They aren't evil. I'm friends with many of my local newcasters. But once it goes through the whole process along the way, it becomes a story that just isn't quite right. It is what people choose to see and believe and that is why the media puts it out in that manner.

Give some forgiveness for all. Get involved. Don't dog ANYONE. Just pray for them.

Love to the parents,
    Elizabeth Crecente

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I am the mother of a murdered child. Jennifer Crecente...it's all over google so you can look it up for yourself. You know the suppositions about who Rachel was, who anyone was, is just not for any one of us to say. You never NEVER know the story behind a TV segment. I've gone through the same thing and it is unbelievable that we as parents are simply trashed. Most often this is because people desperately need to separate themselves from us. That way, it could never happen to them. We are the "others" and they are the normal good people. I was a darn good parent, a loving person with an only child. Can we just for a moment stop placing BLAME where what we should do is say a prayer (to whomever we have faith) for all involved? Why are we obsessed with blaming someone?

As a parent I can only begin to scratch the surface of how horribly painful it is to see your child's murder as fodder for the entertainment of people who have NO IDEA how this feels. There is always more to the story than you see. The media is extremely slanted. They aren't evil. I'm friends with many of my local newcasters. But once it goes through the whole process along the way, it becomes a story that just isn't quite right. It is what people choose to see and believe and that is why the media puts it out in that manner.

Give some forgiveness for all. Get involved. Don't dog ANYONE. Just pray for them.

Love to the parents,
    Elizabeth Crecente
    My very deepest sympathy to any parent who has ever lost a child regardless of the situation. However, each and ever person is accountable for their own actions in life. There is a BIG difference when a child dies of an illness or circumstance beyond their control. When a person, especially an adult, chooses to invole themself in illegal activites, they are the one ultimately responsible for taking the risk and placing themself in a situation for potential harm. I don't fault TPD, nor parents for this unfortunate event. Don't forget that Rachel started her own path of destruction by the choices she made.

Not just the vice unit but the whole agency should start afresh and anew. Appoint a new chief and make every supervisor a slicksleeve officer. Then go through the list of employees and take only the people with Masters Degrees or above for supervisory positions. I would even suggest making the highest ranks civilians so they don't have a negative attitude toward the public.
    Top Priority: Education.
    Second Priority: A spirit of progressivism and professionalism.
    Third Priority: "Serve" the public with humility.
    Fourth Priority: Officer Concerns.

This is the only way to get beyond the ugliness and unprofessionalism and unprogressivism of the past for any agency.

Quote Originally Posted by highly professional
    Not just the vice unit but the whole agency should start afresh and anew. Appoint a new chief and make every supervisor a slicksleeve officer. Then go through the list of employees and take only the people with Masters Degrees or above for supervisory positions. I would even suggest making the highest ranks civilians so they don't have a negative attitude toward the public.

This is the only way to get beyond the ugliness and unprofessionalism and unprogressivism of the past for any agency.
    Who asked you, azzhole? You are not in law enforcement and They've kicked you off almost every board in the Tampa Bay area and now you get on here? You are nothing but a cyber-troll. Take your act elsewhere, punk

[quote=To Homoprofessional]
    Quote Originally Posted by "highly professional":o8edgqpr

Who asked you, azzhole? You are not in law enforcement and They've kicked you off almost every board in the Tampa Bay area and now you get on here? You are nothing but a cyber-troll. Take your act elsewhere, punk[/quote8edgqpr]
    I pay taxes in this state and have a voice and an opinion, you halfwitted bigmouth liar. I see problems and I have solutions and you don't like it because you are exposed and your punk-card is pulled so get over it. It's the way of the world, don't you know.

[quote=highly professional][quote="To Homoprofessional":2f4hqyii]
    Quote Originally Posted by "highly professional":2f4hqyii

Who asked you, azzhole? You are not in law enforcement and They've kicked you off almost every board in the Tampa Bay area and now you get on here? You are nothing but a cyber-troll. Take your act elsewhere, punk[/quote:2f4hqyii]
    I pay taxes in this state and have a voice and an opinion, you halfwitted bigmouth liar. I see problems and I have solutions and you don't like it because you are exposed and your punk-card is pulled so get over it. It's the way of the world, don't you know.[/quote:2f4hqyii]

Hahahaha I saw this pos trolling St Pete P.D. board (a few up) all over it harrassing, stirring whatever. Get a life you little pos or your mommy will take away your computer. You aint no cop, you just try to stir up shit you whacked out little puss.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast